New Skin for the forums - your feedback essential!

David Lundblad

Director of Design
Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The absolute scariest part of our site to mess with is the Forums. We have 600,000 plus members using them a LOT. You guys and girls know them inside and out, and I’m sure you have a million-and-one things you’d like to see improved.

I’m also sure you have become very comfortable with the current look and feel.

Rest assured then, that our design team is taking this very seriously and nothing will change without first giving you the opportunity to properly give us feedback.

Cory has basically been running the forums by himself up until today - and done a bang-up job too. It feels timely (we’re growing members fast!) and relevant to add our design team to the task of making them really rock.

Why are we touching the forums?

Well, there are some issues with readability that we’d like to tackle as a matter of priority. At the moment it’s difficult to quickly locate and read the thread title as well as the post content. Page elements that are not so important have very strong colors and are currently drawing attention away from the important content.

In the long term we want to change the forums more; better information hierarchy and structure, better thread layout, easier login and registration, reduce clutter and better profiles are but a few of projects coming up.

We need you!

We wont get it right every time - sometimes we’ll do a change that you won’t agree with (even hate!). That is the nature of change. Believe us when we say that every update we do we try to make it a better user experience. Even when we find it necessary to add, say, another ad space or features for new aspiring members to keep things running smoothly.

We promise to be as open and honest about these changes as we are about improving the user experience for our members.

And we hope you will not hold back on your comments and feedback.

Phase 1 changes

Ok, first the feature change - we removed the Multi-Quote and News Tip buttons on each post. Are you guys using these? Our user testing shows very little activity there.

Secondly, we just changed font sizes, colors and background colors to highlight what was important on the threads. We’d love to get your feedback on this too.

Check out the attached image for the new skin

forums-3.jpg

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Multi quote is a valuable tool to a user that is properly using the tools provided to them. If you come into an area with multiple posts of the same situation or very similar its a nice feature to have.

News tip.. I think this is a feature we can live without.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I may be missing something, but I don't see the "attached image"...?

I have never used the "new tip" button, but the multi-quote can come in handy at times, especially for those of us that are more likely to answer questions than ask them, even if I don't use it very often. I could easily live without it, but that's my 2?.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I may be missing something, but I don't see the "attached image"...?

I have never used the "new tip" button, but the multi-quote can come in handy at times, especially for those of us that are more likely to answer questions than ask them, even if I don't use it very often. I could easily live without it, but that's my 2?.

Me neither, can't see it.

I use multi-quotes all the time; news tips....not so much.

Reactions: chris mart

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
First, I can say I have never used a Multi Quote system but i might be a minority.
Second, The font colors , sizes and backgroud must be subtle as i haven't noticed them (unless in image that i don't see)

third, image is not attached but this might be my firewall/VPn stopping me from seeing it even.

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I think the Multi-Quote button needs to stay as it is handy tool to combine replies of like information. I too agree that the News Tip button can go away.

Where is "Check out the attached image for the new skin"?

mrbanks

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I think the Multi-Quote button needs to stay as it is handy tool to combine replies of like information. I too agree that the News Tip button can go away.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I honestly never even noticed Multi-Quote was there. I was doing it on my own with copy and paste. Now that I know it's there, I will use it. However, many times when I have multiple quotes within my post, it's to break down and quote different parts of someone else's post for clarity. But, I definitely see use for Multi-Quote, and look forward to using it now that I know it's there. :eek:

I never use News Tip.

Still no image... :'(