Android Central v3 Site Design Goes Live !!!

Dan29466

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Still can't read a story, or even see the first headline, without scrolling down. We're all grown-up enough to understand that making money is priority number one, but does it have to be that obvious? Can't we pretend that telling the story is at least equally important?

Reactions: icebike

CrackBerry Kevin

Mobile Nations Chief Media Officer
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey All,

Quick update here... so for those who felt there wasn't enough differentiation between the post bit and the post section (too white), we made a little tweak that is subtle but helps a lot.

On the left side of the user post bit above, we added a vertical lightly shaded blue line. It's very subtle -- you may not have even noticed it -- but it seems to be enough to help give that extra structure to the thread as you scroll down so you can quick pull out the comments from the user info.

We did play around with going back to a darker color/shade of grey in the user area of the post, but as soon as we do that it really kills the clean/modern look and it just looks old in comparison. We think this is a happy medium.

Looking ahead, we still have some big forum upgrades coming and we're going to continue to work on improving things. Those changes will be tied to our CMS upgrade though (can't just slap them on the existing site), but looking at some of the feedback I think that next set of changes will really make everybody happy.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
After giving the site another look, I've now noticed how awesome the new design is. Totally cool. Thumbs-up! Guys.
icon14.gif

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
1. I love being able to sort the news feed by Phone & Tablet, again.

2. Still no notifications on responses to blog comments - I suppose you guys are working on it.

3. Re: the super honkey white forums - :) :

View attachment 24090

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys thanks for fixing the bold and italics so quickly.

No problem. I have nothing to do with actually fixing it but I forwarded on the "bug report" over to Admin immediately and they got to work on it ASAP.

Anything I can ever do within my given position & skill level I will always do for you the members ;)

Paul627g.

Reactions: davey11

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Version 1 was great. Version 2 was a valiant effort, but fell short (imo). Version 3 is AWESOME!!!!! Keep up the good work.

One suggestion. It be great if you could seach for all your comments on the blog just like you can search for all your posts on the forums.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Blog criticism:

Can you guys PLEASE tone down the big banners at the top?

I'd like to arrive on the site with at least one story visible, instead I have to wait for humongous graphics to load which serve no purpose but to take you to a story (that, chances are, you've already read).

Banner creep seems to be all the rage these days. Some of us read this on data plans.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Blog criticism:

Can you guys PLEASE tone down the big banners at the top?

I'd like to arrive on the site with at least one story visible, instead I have to wait for humongous graphics to load which serve no purpose but to take you to a story (that, chances are, you've already read).

Banner creep seems to be all the rage these days. Some of us read this on data plans.

Merry Christmas.

http://www.androidcentral.com/content/articles/all

Reactions: icebike and TBolt

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The mouse roll-over info is missing from the menubar choices in the primary editor (basic) while doing a routine "reply" to message (not in Advanced). This is using IE9/Win7.

Is there any way we can set our default editor so as not to have to select "Switch Editor" every time? (NM, I found the setting in UserCP)

Also, appreciate the larger fonts in AC overall, but in the primary editor (well, basic editor), upon a reply, the default font is still very small as displayed on the screen. Can that be increased? It's fine in the "Switch Editor" mode and advanced.

Version 3 is much better than v1 and v2. Thanks!

-Frank

Last edited:

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Im with the two posters above me, we need a function to minimize the search popular bar. Screen real estate is a top priority. Having to scroll past that each time is enough to make me not want to come here to read. It truly is too much.

CrackBerry Kevin

Mobile Nations Chief Media Officer
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Is there a similar link for the forum? I like to have efficient use of space when I'm in the forum, is it really necessary to have the Search, Popular Forums and Trending at the top and taking up the first page? I feel like this is something that could be toggled?

Yes, we discussed putting a Collapse / Expand button on the lower part of the "forums super navigation". So we'd still show the upper block with your user avatar/ search forums / find your device forum, but the lower portion of that block with the popular forums / trending topics could be collapsed / expanded (and remembered by cookie).

Don't have an ETA on this, but will put it on the list. Hopefully can make that happen fairly quickly.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Now that I've had a chance to use it more, I do have to agree with others that there is too much white. It wasn't as noticeable earlier at work on older monitors, but now at home on my newer laptop, it's virtually blinding white to the point I almost have to turn down the brightness level of the screen. :(
I like white! :D That's where the clean look comes from! Also, the bold and italic buttons in both editors have been working fine for me (Win7/IE9).

k2222779.jpg

-Frank (Use sunglasses man!)

Last edited: