Changing from participant to anonymous lurker and reader.

LavallavaL

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the process of voluntarily withdrawing the content of all my posted comments on threads that do not related to helping others with a problem. When done, I will try to contact an administrator and will be asking for my profile's modification or deletion.

Android Centrals' community has been very helpful at times, and I've tried hard to be just as helpful in return. However, there is a non-negligible subset of it's membership that tends to act like a herd of thugs whenever they spot an opinion they do not share. I've seen a bunch of posters being intimidated, and feel that my interpretation of what went on in such cases is proven by the subsequent silence of most of these posters.

Unsubstantiated accusations of "trolling" are lashed-out at anyone with a different point of view, and all though mods do a fine job of cleaning up, I've come to the conclusion that there is no possibility of reasonably discussing opinions in this forum without a horde of fanatics just blindly barging in with rude behavior, and rants filled with senseless rage.

Having a strong opinion about something and respectfully expressing one's case for it is a commendable act of democracy, but the line between that, and a rage-filled rant is thin, and it seems that many here have a hard time controlling rage induced by the radicalization of their opinions. Whether I'm right or just have a negative perception is somewhat moot. Perception is everything, and right now

Wanting to avoid falling into this trap, I will retire from this community and let it be. I just want to get my name "off the list", and return to being an anonymous lurker and reader. If the operator of the forum or a mod reads this, I would appreciate an E-mail to assist me with the process of account removal and deletion.

Cheers to all the good and helpful folk I've dealt with here.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry that you've experienced this, but unfortunately, that seems to be a significant part of internet "discussion" these days. Having had some opportunities to look at other forums, I'd say that you're going to encounter this kind of behavior anywhere. I'd like think that we do a better job than most sites of reining in some of the more inappropriate behavior, but there's a fine line between moderating discussion and being perceived as dictatorial. Good luck wherever you decide to participate!

LavallavaL

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Sorry that you've experienced this, but unfortunately, that seems to be a significant part of internet "discussion" these days

I've also observed much of the same.

Good luck wherever you decide to participate

Thank you very much, but I'm giving up on forums... It seems futile.

Can you "un-register" my profile, or at least change the profile name for me please ? I would prefer my name to no longer be associated with this forum. Thank you for everything.

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
s.g.vallee,

Shoot me an email when you have a few. Would love to get some feedback from you and talk to you a bit as well. Have something else in mind as well.

Drop me a note!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87