Paid content masquerading as news...

wjrandon

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Okay I'm totally ticked off at Android Central now. Not only do I believe this post was paid for, but now I have evidence. When I registered with this site I used a old e-mail address that's been long dormant and never saw a hint of SPAM or unsolicited e-mail, lo and behold this morning after checking the site and seeing this clear case of payola journalism I had a notification to check my old inbox. What do I find? A email announcing the arrival of Tether.

So thanks a lot Android Central, not only are you selling members e-mail address, but your apparently are taking payments to create headlines and buzz. You've lost a member today.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Wow. That couldn't be farther from the truth, on a number of levels. I'm more than happy to discuss this with you -- and anybody else -- if you like.

We don't get paid by manufacturers, software developers or anybody else to post content. We have an advertising company, and there's a pretty big divide between the editorial side of AC and the advertising side. And having worked for 11 years at a two-time Pulitzer-finalist newspaper, I know a little bit about that separation.

Before accusing anyone of being paid to post, you might want to see if perhaps a press release was sent out, which is pretty standard in the world of PR:
Tether has launched for the Android! If you have moved from BlackBerry to Android, this is a must have application. Easily transfer your data connection from your Android to your Laptop with Tether. To try it out on your, visit this url:
Download Tether Android | Tether

From our recent speed tests, we've been constantly getting 50% to 75% faster speeds then our competitors. Check out this video we put together comparing us to the competition:
YouTube - Tether for Android

We are offering a special introductory price. A low price of - $24.95, but this offer is only valid for one week.
http://tether.com/android/order

Thanks,
Tether Team
And before accusing anyone of being paid to post, you should also check and see if any other Android sites have posted on this topic. Here are a few links:

As for selling your e-mail? We don't do that. Period. End of story.

Again, if anyone has any concerns about any of this, you know where to find me.

Last edited:
Reactions: kstoutdog

w5cyc

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
You guys crack me up. Payola journalism? Really? I worked for 20 years as a journalist. Here's a news flash: Android Central isn't a news outlet. Nothing you read here is "journalism." AC is an android fan site where folks can share information, tips, etc. about something they love and share in common.

I don't know if they get any compensation from anyone for reviews or announcements of new products. I'm not tight with the people who run the site to have that info. But I suspect they do, and for that matter, I surely HOPE they do. Where exactly do you think all the freebies they give away on this site come from? They just go out back and pick them off a tree somewhere? Your righteous indignation would indicate you haven't the slightest clue what it costs to maintain a website like this one. Have you ever been asked to pay for a subscription to AC? If the answer is "no," then I guess you're not the one footing the bill for the site, are you? I surely hope SOMEONE is paying them so they won't just eventually give up and take the site down. Duh.

Not only is AC not the New York Times, it isn't Consumer Reports, either. Who cares if developers pay money for what are essentially advertisements on this site? Read virtually any product or app review on this site. Then read the comments. Some will think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, others will say it's responsible for a bricked phone, global warming and starving children in India. Same with the reviews in the Android market. I like the fact that AC brings to my attention a whole slew of apps and such. That way, I can try them and see for myself if they work for me. If they do, great. If not, I move on.

Speaking of moving on, if you're gonna leave, don't let the door hit ya...

kstoutdog

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I signed up for tether (tetherberry back then) long ago on blackberry.. I figured my email was still in thier list... I don't really think AC would sell email addresses...

On a side note.. I LOVE TETHER... I won a contest just by following them on twitter.. and they sent me $700!!!

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I think your off on this one

Okay I'm totally ticked off at Android Central now. Not only do I believe this post was paid for, but now I have evidence. When I registered with this site I used a old e-mail address that's been long dormant and never saw a hint of SPAM or unsolicited e-mail, lo and behold this morning after checking the site and seeing this clear case of payola journalism I had a notification to check my old inbox. What do I find? A email announcing the arrival of Tether.

So thanks a lot Android Central, not only are you selling members e-mail address, but your apparently are taking payments to create headlines and buzz. You've lost a member today.

If Phil says it isn't so then I believe him. I don't think Phil and I would be the greatest of friends if we where neighbors but I think he has integrity and if he says they don't sell your info, they don't sell your info. I got the same email myself and I believe it was from being a Tether user in my Blackberry days.

Where exactly do you think all the freebies they give away on this site come from?

Um from companies that send them out for AC to review. And they do not give away that many freebies.

Your righteous indignation would indicate you haven't the slightest clue what it costs to maintain a website like this one. Have you ever been asked to pay for a subscription to AC? If the answer is "no," then I guess you're not the one footing the bill for the site, are you?

Obviously neither do you. Just by being a member of AC wjrandon is helping AC make money. Member numbers= cash. And from that opening statement I do believe you used to be a journalist. A true living dinosaur that hasn't a clue himself how sites have moved on from pay-walls. If AC hid behind a pay-wall AC would die a very swift death. Android Central Store and all those advertisements you see on the page, thats how they pay for it. The more members AC has combined with the number of page views or "Hits" the advertiser gets determines the paycheck AC receives. Not by promoting one brand over another. Now what happens behind closed doors with the HMFIC (Dieter Bohn) whose to say but I dont believe Phil and his crew would be aware and or includind in such deals. They just do the heavy lifting. If you as a "Journalist" did a little research you would know the bulk of the cash comes from here.....

Home | Smartphone Experts

This is the BIO

Smartphone Experts? is a leading online retailer and manufacturer of smartphone accessories, powering a growing network of e-commerce stores that offer a wide selection of products, rapid fulfillment, and knowledgeable expert support. In addition to our own line of bestselling products, we retail accessories from over 80 manufacturers.

In 2007, Smartphone Experts ranked as the fastest growing retailer on the Inc. 500 list of private companies in America, also achieving an impressive 37th overall position on that list.

Our network of stores is primarily marketed through both owned and affiliated smartphone-centric online communities, which offer everything from editorially independent news and reviews to discussion forums. Ads funnel visitors into our online stores, and customer leads are collected through free user registrations.

We also have Wholesale opportunities, with wholesale pricing for wireless retailers on our 6000+ inventory.

Not only is AC not the New York Times, it isn't Consumer Reports, either.(And I REALLY like this one from you) Android Central isn't a news outlet. Nothing you read here is "journalism."

I find this offensive in so many ways. AC is not the "Times" but this is the place to get Android news and reviews. I would not go to the Times to get Android news or info, just as I would not go to AC to find out about a volcanic eruption in Indonesia. Leo Laporte himself has mentioned AC on his "Syndicated" radio show quite a few times and his listening base is huge. Between the number of Leo's listeners and the number of people jumping on the Android wagon this sites potential is staggering. If this isnt the place to get Android news why are you here? Typical elitist attitude, if its not the times its not journalism. Thats a bunch of bunk. People like you love to belittle bloggers and even revel in using the term as something they just stepped in. "Excuse me while I wipe this Blog off my shoe". In the meantime bloggers like Mike Arrington are busy selling their shoe scraping blog for an estimated $30 million. Not too bad for a blogger that isn't a true "Journalist" and does not write for the times.

When I wake up in the morning my first news feed is from AC. The second is the Huffington Post (My left wing source) The third is Fox News (My right wing source) Then BBC (My world view or "How the neighbors think" as I like to say)
Then I extract the bits and pieces to try and form a more "Accurate" view on what is going on in the world on that particular day. But out of all of those so called "News sources" there is only one I can take what I read as the truth and gospel and that is AC. Kinda funny when you think about it, I get the straight scoop from a blog. I get opinionated layers of crap I need to sort through from the "Real Journalists" Who would have thunk it.

You call them bloggers I call them Journalists, semantics really. As far as I am concerned these Gentlemen are Journalists. They are the journalist for a new time and a new age and all those with your attitude who refuse to change with the times will be the ones sitting in a one bedroom apartment. Bitter complaining on how journalism is no longer "Journalism" while people like Phil and his crew get paid to write everyday with readers into the hundreds of thousands. Not to shabby for people who are not considered "Journalists".

Just one man's opinion </rant>

Reactions: eyesparky

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I got the email as well. Why? because I had a blackberry and used tether, and because when it was announced it was in beta, I signed up to get updates.

One of those emails I used to register on this site, the other I did not. In fact, the other email I NEVER use to sign up for any websites, and only used it for tether because I actually used it at the time. I used the email I use with AC to sign up for the android beta.

Both got the email. The same Exact email.