What is up with the AndroidCentral desktop Website?

Ameri-CAIN

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I know there has been some experimentation over the years with the layout of the website. I have been on board so far. I had hoped I could get used to the way that it is now, but it just doesn't seem functional, and it is affecting my relationship with my once favorite source for everything Android. Ginormous adds I can live with. Even more adds on the side borders, hey the bills get paid with those adds, I get that. Two column, square tiles with brief description below for the header content? Its like the adds have swallowed up the entire page and the content we come here to see is relegated to this dual column, hard to read small tiles. I don't mind sponsored articles and adds, but when the main content is relegated to such a small space, it just doesn't make it pleasant to visit from a desktop browser. Can the second column be dumped and the first column just be stretched width wise across the page? Or maybe if the image header .gif stayed the same size and the article header was to the right of the article image? I still enjoy reading articles that are linked from Google Plus, but I find myself browsing the desktop site less and less every day. It is not my intention to troll or pick on the design. I only wish to get feedback to see if I am the only person who doesn't like the flow. Does anyone else feel the current desktop website could use some readability tweaks?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Those are certainly valid concerns. I think what you bring up is much more of an issue for those on smaller screens (like a laptop), which is clearly going to be a large part of the readership. Apart from posting your feedback here, also consider sending a direct message to the site admins as well: Contact | Android Central

Ameri-CAIN

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I actually do most of my viewing from 22in widescreen monitors. Its like there is no logical focal point for my eyes. Instead of reading top down I find myself jumping left right up and down with no real order. You would think it would be easy to read left to right then down left to right again, but the page is just so busy I get pulled all over the page. I don't think I've seen any other web page with this design. You won't find that next ground breaking innovation without trying new things, but the square story tiles just don't feel like they flow. At least for me. Alas, I am but one. Perhaps there are more like me, which is why I asked in the first place. Thanks, I think I will forward my concerns along to the admins.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I see now what you're saying about the square tiles. I was focusing more on the header issue. Yeah, I remember when other sites like Cnet and PCMag went to that kind of format. I've never liked it. I prefer having one story after another.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae