Is there a way to directly login in to androidcentral forums?

d7v7d

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
My login process for this site uses Google+ from which I have a gmail account. If I login to gmail that brings up that email and then later in another window go to androidcentral, it doesn't know this person, d7v7d , is viewing the site.

On most web boards one could surf a site without login incognito but with some sites as this board, there are significant advantages for those logged in versus what might be a guest especially with forum displays. Thus would prefer to login in first. Instead the only way I've figured out to do so is to open any forum thread and actuate the Reply button that since it does not know who it is will display the login pop up with choices to register, login with user name and password, or login via Facebook, Google+ etc as I am doing. After selecting the Google+ button it apparently reads some cookie to understand it is d7v7d. At that point I cancel the Reply operation and start using the site. But I expect there is a straightforward operation without this nonsense?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just to be sure I am understanding this -- You are basically having issues logging in and are using the reply function to accomplish it?

If you just want to log in go to the top left of your browser and click the menu button (it is 3 lines) -- from there you can then select "Log In" and log in without having to do via a reply.

d7v7d

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm using Mozilla Firefox on a Windows Vista desktop pc. There is no 3 lines at upper left corner but there are 3 lines in the upper right corner. Although that pops up a window with several functions like New Window, History etc, there is no Log In or login function. If instead that is an androidcentral 3 line box in the upper left corner, maybe I need to logout to see it?

d7v7d

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
This morning at my workplace, on a Windows 7 Professional workstation I just powered up after the holiday break, androidcentral immediately recognized me as d7v7d even though I am not logged into my Google+ account yet. So don't need to login at all. Thus is apparently handling a stored cookie differently or the older OS cookie has less available information fields as set up? What can you add about the way the site is handling cookies?

Also note on this workstation, the 3 line field is identical to what I described above.

d7v7d

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Almeuit, issued solved, thanks for your input.

As noted above on my Windows desktop there was no such 3 lines in upper left corner display. Likewise today at work on a Windows 7 Professional workstation there was no such display. But now back on the Vista desktop, there it is just like you directed, And now I know why I did not see it before but do now.

When logged in the 3 lines are replaced by my avatar picture and that is why I never saw it yesterday because in order to post on the thread I had to be logged in so saw my picture in that square instead of the 3 lines. More correctly the 3 line bar is in the upper left corner of the androidcentral menu bar pane. Also on my workstation because I was immediately recognized as d7v7d as a cookie was read upon opening the site home page, the 3 lines were never displayed just my avatar.

So the top left field when selected shows "Log in or Sign up" as a link. If I select the 3 line field before logging into gmail it moves to the Google+ login page to log in and then after doing so moves back to androidcentral.

I then searched to understand the 3 line icon and found it is a graphic for "menu" that has evolved from the mobile app and browser landscapes. Mozilla Firefox now uses it in their browser while IE11 does not and is something I as a new smartphone user was not familiar with. The following link notes I am not alone in being somewhat mobile icon ignorant:

Don't Make These Mobile Menu Mistakes

Mobile browsers and apps tend to use a lot of icons for obvious space saving issues that are not always obvious to non-mobile experienced new comers. As an old hi tech computer person in Silicon Valley that has coded html for years, my initial reaction with using a smartphone for just a few weeks now is that I wish some app coders would use more mouse hover over text help for some of those symbols. The same issues occurred a few years ago when Microsoft introduced menu ribbons on their Office applications. Many savvy computer users were annoyed trying to figure out what all the graphic symbols were about. And when they introduced Windows 8 with its mobile like interfaces, it annoyed people so much that it became a marketing disaster.

alexfromrio

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I've just joined this forum and now I want to logout of it. I am still one of those old fashioned people who use desktops. I am now sitting at work, using a Chrome browser and I don't want to stay logged in after I go home, and at home, I want to be able to login again at my home desktop. Thanks.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I've just joined this forum and now I want to logout of it. I am still one of those old fashioned people who use desktops. I am now sitting at work, using a Chrome browser and I don't want to stay logged in after I go home, and at home, I want to be able to login again at my home desktop. Thanks.
Click on your picture on the top left corner and the logout menu option is in the menu that appears there.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance