07-04-2016 12:06 AM
35 12
tools
    These sites run like pure crap on every single browser made on OS X AND WIndows.
    I am going to keep posting this until you guys fix them.
    PLEASE STOP WITH THE AUTO PLAY VIDEOS ON THE SIDE BAR.
    WE SEE THE 9000 ADS ON THE PAGE.
    I have to mute my computer to visit any of the AC, iMore, and Windows Central sites.
    These pages load slower than ANY sites I visit. The experience is HORRIBLE.
    WORK ON YOUR SITES.
    You guys get paid by the number of clicks you get on all 3 sites since they are tied together under one umbrella.
    I will take my clicks elsewhere and when giving advice to friends and family I will tell them to avoid these sites specifically if you guys can't do better than this. Literally the worst running sites on the internet.
    06-19-2016 10:51 PM
    Yeah, sadly adblock helps me to use all of these sites.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    06-19-2016 11:19 PM
    I'm sorry you're having a bad experience with the sites. I've moved the thread to the Site Feedback & Help forum, since staff will see it here.
    kpwaseem7 and Guytronic like this.
    06-19-2016 11:52 PM
    Please report any and all bad ads to this site: http://phon.es/badads

I understand you're frustrated but the hyperbole doesn't give the higher ups the info they need to research and make changes. If you report things to the correct parties and provide details that help then see what you're seeing, they can help.

Thanks!
    Laura Knotek, Guytronic and Ry like this.
    06-20-2016 12:03 AM

I understand you're frustrated but the hyperbole doesn't give the higher ups the info they need to research and make changes. If you report things to the correct parties and provide details that help then see what you're seeing, they can help.

Thanks!
    In addition to this you can click the black X (kind of near the top right of the side bar) to close it. This will prevent them from loading.
    Aquila and Guytronic like this.
    06-21-2016 12:03 AM
    Had to create a custom ABP filter for everything coming from http://f.tonginjs.info because the javascript overlays were so obnoxious. Had previously whitelisted Android Central, but until that crap is gone, blacklist again.
    06-21-2016 12:19 AM
    Yeah, sadly adblock helps me to use all of these sites.
    Yep without adblock I can't access these 3 sites either......locks up my browsers. If the sites would run a REASONABLE number of ads I'd be glad to unblock and support......but sometimes when you get too greedy in the end you lose more than you gain
    libra89 and Smply_Rckless like this.
    06-21-2016 03:07 AM
    Laura Knotek and Guytronic like this.
    06-21-2016 07:28 AM
    I am running this on a 5K iMac with an i7 4.0Ghz Skylake, 24GB ram, Pure flash storage, AMD 395X 4GB card
    My internet idles at 120MB/s and peaks around 160MB/s ( I have VERY fast internet where I live)
    I have tried Safari, Chrome for Mac, Firefox all 3 on the mac side. Terrible on all 3.
    I also have a bootcamp partition with a Clean uncluttered Legal copy of Windows 10 and have Edge, Chrome and Firefox there.
    Still terrible.
    The black X at the top right does nothing but close the trending Now, Forums etc blue links.
    it does Nothing for the 9000 ads on the right side.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    06-21-2016 11:30 AM
    There should be a second black x just below the one you're referencing.
    06-21-2016 11:38 AM
    This is a Google docs form and to be frank is not very helpful. Case in point recently while browsing the main blog or forums on my Note 4 I'd randomly get taken to some .xyz adware site telling me my browser was heavily infected (while also making my phone buzz incessantly and trying to take me to the Play Store to install some app by the Go people). It has since stopped, but trying to capture the needed info that docs form is asking for is not easy. I say that as someone who works in IT, so imagine how your average user feels. Not to mention how would they even know to use it? I had to search for it when I was thinking about reporting that bad ad. But I digress, IMHO posting here is the best way to get you guys the feedback you need on these intrusive ads (not that docs form).
    You can, and people obviously do, post here - but posting here doesn't get any information to the people that need it. All we get here are "the ads suck", when the techs need specifics about what exactly sucked on which ad on what type of device, what went wrong, etc. in order to kick those details back to the vendor that actually controls what appears. The vendor and techs aren't reading these threads though, all of that process is driven solely by the http://phon.es/badads form. So if specific details aren't given via that process, unfortunately things don't improve. That's why all of the responses that the forums team provide are generally geared towards reporting lots of details to that link - because we have literally zero influence, input or control over what you're seeing.
    Laura Knotek and Guytronic like this.
    06-21-2016 01:35 PM
    These sites run like pure crap on every single browser made on OS X AND WIndows.
    I am going to keep posting this until you guys fix them.
    PLEASE STOP WITH THE AUTO PLAY VIDEOS ON THE SIDE BAR.
    WE SEE THE 9000 ADS ON THE PAGE.
    I have to mute my computer to visit any of the AC, iMore, and Windows Central sites.
    These pages load slower than ANY sites I visit. The experience is HORRIBLE.
    WORK ON YOUR SITES.
    You guys get paid by the number of clicks you get on all 3 sites since they are tied together under one umbrella.
    I will take my clicks elsewhere and when giving advice to friends and family I will tell them to avoid these sites specifically if you guys can't do better than this. Literally the worst running sites on the internet.
    Ive never seen any of this

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-21-2016 01:42 PM
    Ive never seen any of this

Well there's rarely actual lag and there's never been 9000 ads on any page, but there are some ads on the site. My guess is that it's less than 10 per page and more than 1, but I'm not sure.
    06-21-2016 01:50 PM
    Well there's rarely actual lag and there's never been 9000 ads on any page, but there are some ads on the site. My guess is that it's less than 10 per page and more than 1, but I'm not sure.
    Oh I mainly meant the website running "crappy" and having a "horrible" experience as said by the op . Some ads are unavoidable on websites,i have trained myself to not notice them

06-21-2016 02:09 PM
    The ads auto playing is one issue. and should be stopped. You can't shut them up, you have to mute the computer.
    I am not filling out some form because you guy KNOW these ads are doing this.

Ads aside. Forget the ads. The site itself still runs terribly on a MONSTER of a machine with STUPID fast internet.
    The pages Never stop loading. The browser lags like a galaxy S1. It Might be because of ads, but pages Never stop loading.
    Many times I have to quit the browser and start over to get stuff to load correctly. The sites themselves are the issue.
    Poor coding, memory leaks or whatever is the issue. I don't have this/these issues on ANY other web site.
    Droidlife, XDA, android pit, 9to5google and the 40 other sites I visit each day work and load correctly. This isn't an issue with my system.
    This specifically AC, imore, WC sites. You guys have memory leaks or just have SO many ads the pages themselves get lost in translation.
    I have no idea what the issue is exactly. I just know its not my system. Maybe you guys are using a bad server company.
    I even reformatted my entire system and did clean installs on both macOS and WIndows and tried these sites and still the same results.
    Maybe its the infinite page loading. I am just letting the site know. if you guys choose to ignore the problem and act like everything is perfect oh well.
    I can unfollow all three sites on twitter, facebook, instagram, youtube and log out and click on some other sites.
    Just because someone CAN read and post on the site doesn't mean the site doesn't have issue. I wouldn't be here typing this if the site ran decently. I would be click on the articles you posted today and reading them.
    Since "there is no problem" I will read articles elsewhere where there actually ISN'T a problem.
    Robinsonmac likes this.
    06-21-2016 07:16 PM
    No one is saying that there isn't a problem. We're asking you to provide detailed information to the people empowered to research and fix these things. If you're not willing to provide information, then the conversation becomes very circular because you want to complain to the forums volunteers - who cannot address the issue at all, so we tell you how to get the issues addressed and you aren't willing to provide the information to people who can effect change, and the conversation becomes very circular because you want to... oh wait.

I'm not making light of your frustration, I'm trying to urge you to handle it in a productive manner, because the forums team has no input, influence or control over the backend processing of ads or other scripts. For example, with the autoplaying ad, if you fill out the form at http://phon.es/badads with the specific URL of the site you're on, the type of device, OS and browser and tell them about the ad - then they can provide THAT information to the ad vendor who can then get their stuff under control. If we don't give specifics to that vendor, they can't and won't change anything because they don't know what's going wrong and have no basis to investigate.

If you want to vent, that's totally cool and obviously my team reads these and can encourage you to work towards a solution - but that's the extent of what we can do, so if you want to see things change, that requires stepping up and taking action towards that end. I regularly push these threads up through my chain of command on the forums team - and every time, the response is the same. They're upset that we aren't giving the best experience possible and they're telling us to encourage people to provide details so that it can improve.

All of that said, I don't know if I'm cleared to say this or not - but I am aware that the tech team is working on some major improvements for the forums - but I don't have anything for details on what exactly that looks like or when it's happening. I do know I'm excited for it.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    06-21-2016 07:30 PM
    The ads auto playing is one issue. and should be stopped. You can't shut them up, you have to mute the computer.
    I am not filling out some form because you guy KNOW these ads are doing this.

Ads aside. Forget the ads. The site itself still runs terribly on a MONSTER of a machine with STUPID fast internet.
    The pages Never stop loading. The browser lags like a galaxy S1. It Might be because of ads, but pages Never stop loading.
    Many times I have to quit the browser and start over to get stuff to load correctly. The sites themselves are the issue.
    Poor coding, memory leaks or whatever is the issue. I don't have this/these issues on ANY other web site.
    Droidlife, XDA, android pit, 9to5google and the 40 other sites I visit each day work and load correctly. This isn't an issue with my system.
    This specifically AC, imore, WC sites. You guys have memory leaks or just have SO many ads the pages themselves get lost in translation.
    I have no idea what the issue is exactly. I just know its not my system. Maybe you guys are using a bad server company.
    I even reformatted my entire system and did clean installs on both macOS and WIndows and tried these sites and still the same results.
    Maybe its the infinite page loading. I am just letting the site know. if you guys choose to ignore the problem and act like everything is perfect oh well.
    I can unfollow all three sites on twitter, facebook, instagram, youtube and log out and click on some other sites.
    Just because someone CAN read and post on the site doesn't mean the site doesn't have issue. I wouldn't be here typing this if the site ran decently. I would be click on the articles you posted today and reading them.
    Since "there is no problem" I will read articles elsewhere where there actually ISN'T a problem.
    I also have a beast gaming rig and blazing Internet and don't have this issue. Did you try the step I suggested? It stays saved in your cache so one time closing it solves the issue of auto playing videos.
    06-21-2016 08:06 PM
    The speed of your hardware doesn't matter with these sites, I also have very fast equipment with very fast internet, and have tried multiple browsers. As soon as I enabled adblock in chrome the sites started acting as fast or faster than other sites I visit.

This problem is purely ad related. Without adblock the sites are unusable, with adblock they work fast with no problem. Which choice would a reasonable person make? And how many folks don't say anything but just leave? And how much income is that over-advertising costing these sites?
    libra89 and tonyr6 like this.
    06-22-2016 01:31 AM
    Just to reiterate - if the specifics aren't submitted to the site we are providing, then we're spinning wheels.

Because while I completely understand that you guys are frustrated, it's equally frustrating to us to be in a position where your experience isn't as good as we want it to be, but we can't get you to take any action to help us get changes made to make it better.

This is the cycle from our perspective:

What'd we'd love to see is replacing the "Nope!" with details of the poor experience causing ads being submitted to http://phon.es/badads so that the information can be provided to the vendors so that they can stop delivering the ads that are causing the issues. If you're not willing to help with that, I can't honestly say "I get that", but I can honestly say I respect your decision - but please understand that it's causing even more frustration because it leaves the cycle above intact rather than breaking it and getting some improvements made.
    06-22-2016 11:49 AM
    Just to reiterate - if the specifics aren't submitted to the site we are providing, then we're spinning wheels.

Because while I completely understand that you guys are frustrated, it's equally frustrating to us to be in a position where your experience isn't as good as we want it to be, but we can't get you to take any action to help us get changes made to make it better.

This is the cycle from our perspective:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_...2016-06-22.png

What'd we'd love to see is replacing the "Nope!" with details of the poor experience causing ads being submitted to http://phon.es/badads so that the information can be provided to the vendors so that they can stop delivering the ads that are causing the issues. If you're not willing to help with that, I can't honestly say "I get that", but I can honestly say I respect your decision - but please understand that it's causing even more frustration because it leaves the cycle above intact rather than breaking it and getting some improvements made.
    Seems more user end problems ,not so much with the site. Won't try to fix it on their end and automatically blame the site.

Ry likes this.
    06-22-2016 11:56 AM
    I apologize if this comes off harsh, but...

How does it make sense to ask end users to risk their machines to drivebys and whatever else may be lurking because the site's ad vendor is inept at figuring out that nobody wants JS overlays and hidden iFrames?
    J Dubbs and tnt4 like this.
    06-22-2016 10:39 PM
    I apologize if this comes off harsh, but...

How does it make sense to ask end users to risk their machines to drivebys and whatever else may be lurking because the site's ad vendor is inept at figuring out that nobody wants JS overlays and hidden iFrames?
    Ideally testers take the risks, bit since it seems most users aren't having show stopping lag that kills world-class computers, the people who do the testing and dev work need to know what users that are having a bad experience are seeing. My assumption, and I could be wrong, is that this stuff runs pretty smoothly for those responsible for testing functionality.
    06-22-2016 11:31 PM
    I use the AC Android app nearly all the time, and also use Tapatalk for the forums.

So, I hit the laptop and came here, with no ad blocking, to see just how bad it is. It really isn't bad, at least for me.

I am running a very modest laptop with 2 GB, Windows 10 and Chrome. I don't have the screamer the OP has. There are certainly ads, and a lot of loading in the background...though I don't see auto-start video (and I hate that if the audio is on!).

But the site is, overall, no slower for me than other similar sites. It doesn't lock up my computer. And my Internet connection is embarrassingly slow (low-end DSL).
    06-23-2016 02:53 AM
    I'm kind of nonplussed that people are having problems with the adjunk in Windows 10.

I was having a godawful time with the AC site using Firefox on an old XP machine. Now, after 5 days of installation and updates (yep, 3 days just to download/install Win 7 updates and the new OS), I'm having no problems with AC using Firefox on a Windows 10 PC. (Er, make that an old PC that is just barely able to run Win 10.) I also stopped using No Script in Firefox and, for now, I'm using only AdGuard Adblocker as a FF extension. I never had a problem with the AC site using Chrome even on XP. Still, I'm curious to hear what's causing these problems.
    06-24-2016 02:16 PM
    I agree and have the same issues on mobile and computer. It's a bad experience.
    06-24-2016 10:48 PM
35 12