display problems on site - black rectangles cover page

Gates Is Antichrist

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I have intermittent serious display problems with androidcentral.com forums on Firefox 44, 45, 47 on Windows 7 desktop. It's like black rectangles appear taking about 50% of the screen and then they cover most all of the screen. I see it most often when I click "go advanced" when composing a forum post. The black rectangles start appearing when I scroll - I believe most commonly with mouse wheel scrolling, though page down and clicking the scroll bar are also affected.

What I have to do is estimate how far to scroll, refresh the page, and if I'm lucky, the page will show the message area so I can paste into it from Notepad. But the moment that I scroll again, to reveal the submit button, it goes black. So I refresh again and hit submit while submit is visible, before scrolling and things go black again. This all USUALLY works but clearly there's a malfunction.

I thing it's "flyover" processing which is unstable in Windows. Thanks for years of pain with that, Microsoft.

I do use NoScript and only permit androidcentral.com if that matters.

One other thing, I have instant email push as a setting, but I seem to have to click "notify" on my threads anyway, or I don't get notified.

Gates Is Antichrist

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Another malady is where I see the message compose area (where I'm typing right now), then another, then another, and another, and not "reply" or "submit" buttons. This is like a Windows page refresh problem. BTW rebooting doesn't seem to help. And only androidcentral.com has the problem.

Thanks for anyone taking the trouble to look at this.

Gates Is Antichrist

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
by cover "most of the page" I mean all but status bar and scroll bars.

About the other thing I said about notifications, when I reload the page with my subscribed threads, the items are unchecked again. I keep losing notification condition on my threads, so I never get an email.

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Really appreciate you posting this. Will have our tech team take a look at this (we've had similar reported recently too).

If any questions the team will reply back here.

Thanks again, great to have you here!

Gates Is Antichrist

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
androidcentral *nearly always* triggers the blackness. I do also see this, although only rarely, on other pages (e.g. Facebook) shortly prior to Firefox crashing. Firefox seems seriously unstable on Windows 7, and crashes very frequently, although rarely showing the "black rectangles" other than on androidcentral. Firefox may be the culprit here.

Gates Is Antichrist

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Hope this appears readably. This is the gist of what happens, not an exact explanation.

*XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX*
*XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX*
*XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX*
*XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX*

You can mouse wheel scroll and almost get rid of the black rectangle
*XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX*
*XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX*

Then it comes back strong
*XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX*
*XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX*
*XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX*
*XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX*
*XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX*

and often the whole page goes black.

The lines like
represent normal lines, not blacked out. The board posting software is condensing white space so it's hard to represent.

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Checked with tech on this. One idea they had is - have you updated your video drivers recently? We haven't experienced this issue ourselves, and have received no other reports from other members.

Gates Is Antichrist

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks so much for that. I was completely cold to that possibility.

I am doing a Firefox checkup
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/
and 2 "Unknown plugins" entries may warrant looking into.

NVIDIA 3D VISION (v. 7.17.13.5350)
NVIDIA 3D Vision Streaming plugin for Mozilla browsers
and
NVIDIA 3D Vision (v. 7.17.13.5350)
NVIDIA 3D Vision plugin for Mozilla browsers
(They look similar but differ slightly. I don't know why it appears twice.)

I'm curious about the next step, if any Firefox user doesn't mind sharing: if you click "Research" a list of "current version" sites is presented - e.g.
latestversionplugin.com/current-version-plugin-nvidia-3d-vision.html
versionplugin.com/nvidia-3d-vision/
current-version-plugin.blogspot.com/2013/04/nvidia-3d-vision.html
current-version-pluginDOTcom/nvidia-3d-vision/

Considering the damaging potentials of making this type of fundamental change to my PC, I'm hesitant to jump right in. Is there general agreement on which of those sites are reliable/safe/competent? Obviously, I'm going to try to install whatever .EXE or .DLL they suggest at a www.nvidia.com location, but wondering if anyone knows if those sites are trustworthy.

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Wish I could help you more from here - but I trust one of our members will give you a hand!

Hoping it's just a driver issue, and nothing more!

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I use Firefox for Windows, and I haven't ever seen that happen with Android Central. I have no idea what it could be other than graphics drivers.