Why does Android Central's website take up so many resources?

Jim Gribbin

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I usually visit Android Central on my Chromebox. I have been noticing that shortly after opening AC's home page, my fan kicks on and the system noticeably slows down. My fan rarely kicks in otherwise. If I open an article from AC in a separate tab, it slows down even more, often to the point I can't even scroll the pages.

I finally got curious enough to open up a terminal window running Top. Top shows an instance of Chrome running for each tab. Right now I have 11 tabs open and each one shows less than 10% CPU usage, occasional spikes to around 20%, but most are less than 0.5%. Even with AC's forum page running.

If I open AC's Homepage, that instance of Chrome runs up to 95% and pretty much stays there. There will be occasional drops to around 75%, but mostly up there. When I open other sites, they will hit 95% during the initial opening, but then drop down.

Just curious.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi and welcome to Android Central.

I've moved your thread to the Site Feedback & Help forum so that staff will be better able to see it and address the problems.

actionresult

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Ads? I use PC and without ad blocking AC home page takes 1.3 gigs of RAM and 30% CPU which spikes even higher when scrolling. With ad blocking on, it's 200 megs and 2% CPU. I've made my choice, make yours

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze