Official feedback thread for new forum design (beta version)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Official feedback thread for new forum design!

We seem to be missing the badges (or other indicator) for Mods, Ambassadors, etc. And no Forum titles? Post count is only shown for the local (AC) site -- no Global Posts count?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site

At the bottom of the pages showing the forum threads, there is the "page x of y << ... >>" navigation block.
The blue and grey numbers do not distinguish themselves well enough. Maybe use different colors. Maybe put the current page number in bold.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm on Windows 10, Iron browser v49...

This is definitely going to take time for me to adjust to. It looks rather mobile web, meaning stripped out of details. There is a reason I never use mobile web - it feels dumbed down and cartoonish.

Not sure users need the "Posting Permissions" box or that enough threads get tags to make the "Tags for this Thread" box meaningful in any significant way.

"Similar Threads" doesn't seem to be pulling relevant content. Here is the one from this thread:
Capture01.png

I do like the "Members who have read this thread" and find it interesting... However, is that not a waste of resources? What happens when the "read by" list gets into the hundreds and thousands? Who is wading through that? What does it do to page load times at those numbers?

These navigation handles used to appear at the top and bottom of every page:
Capture02.png
Now they appear only at the top. This is current across all MoNa forums so far as I can tell. Any chance we can bring them back to the page bottoms, just beneath the last post where they formerly appeared? It's killing my scroll wheel to read a thread, then have to scroll back to the top of a page to navigate the site.

I do like the improvements to the toolbars.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

We seem to be missing the badges (or other indicator) for Mods, Ambassadors, etc. And no Forum titles? Post count is only shown for the local (AC) site -- no Global Posts count?

They come and go. They're supposed to be there (the badges) but with tweaks they break from time to time :).

As for Global Post count -- I am not sure if that is coming back? Help me stare @JamesFalconer really long and hard to see if he knows ^_^.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

They come and go. They're supposed to be there (the badges) but with tweaks they break from time to time :).

As for Global Post count -- I am not sure if that is coming back? Help me stare @JamesFalconer really long and hard to see if he knows ^_^.

I'm not 100% sure we need the global post count except for moderation purposes. Cross site Market place use for example. As long as the info still shows in the popup we should be golden. :)

David Lundblad

Director of Design
Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

We are 100% going to give our Mods and Ambassadors the tools they are used to. It's very possible we've forgotten some!

The stripped down version is for normal members and visitors that are not logged in (a LOT of these people!)

Keep the feedback coming and we will ensure you have all your tools

metllicamilitia

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

I'm not 100% sure if this caused by the slow wifi connection at my hotel or not, however I noticed when changes pages within the forum (going into a thread, changes pages in a thread, etc.), the dark theme has to load again each time. It happens in what I would call a timely manner, it's just that on this slower wifi it's quite noticeable.

iSRS

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Love the new design. Can't wait until they come to the other sites!

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm not 100% sure we need the global post count except for moderation purposes. Cross site Market place use for example. As long as the info still shows in the popup we should be golden. :)

Hmm... I have to disagree. I'm not moderating here on Android Central. And, I'm not nearly as familiar with the cast of characters here. I'd find it very useful to see post count/global post count without tapping for the Passport Profile pop up. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who would feel that way.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Hmm... I have to disagree. I'm not moderating here on Android Central. And, I'm not nearly as familiar with the cast of characters here. I'd find it very useful to see post count/global post count without tapping for the Passport Profile pop up. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who would feel that way.

Fair point but please note the info IS still listed in the passport pop up.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

The replies box (shows how many replies for a particular thread), and the avatar circle are huge in relation to other page content. Viewed with Chrome/Windows 10 (not mobile) and the AC 2012 style.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

@RumoredNow - would you be able to post some screenshots for us?

Sure... I already posted the "Similar Threads" box and the missing navigation handles in the post above.

Here is an example of a bloated "Members who have read this thread" box. Note that when expanded it runs more than one screen height at 231 names.
Capture02.png
Not sure what the value is in surfacing this and it does take up a lot of real estate at the bottom of every page.

Here are the posting permissions: