Official feedback thread for new forum design (beta version)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Official feedback thread for new forum design!

When you right click > highlight part of a post > it used to have a Quote popup. That is gone so now we can't quote only part of a post easily...

This was very useful in past when selecting passages from long walls of text when you only wanted to address a certain point.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

No Quote Plus function...

I'm not meaning to sound like a complainer. I'm just listing stuff as it comes to my attention. O:)

goku_vegeta

Q&A Team
Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

As crazy as it sounds, I kind of miss the old theme!

The new layout is really nice though, brings a refresh to the desktop site and it's refreshing because apps like tapatalk have also changed their UI layout so this seems to be more in line with that design language as compared to the old layout.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

....snip....

Here is the "Tags" box. On most every thread it probably reads "none."
View attachment 249288
It's also sort of weird that I can add tags when it isn't my thread. I added this, because I'm mischievous by nature.
View attachment 249289
Given the amount of untagged material in the forums and (in my experience) users unwillingness to tag their threads, it seems like more of just filling in the bottom to have something appear there.

Back in the day at CB we actually had an issue once with trolls using the tag function to well "troll". They would add nasty foul tags to other people threads and create havoc for the Mods who would have to then remove the tags, and the process was less than smooth as the tags could only be removed 1 by 1! I'm in favor of getting rid of it. HOWEVER we do current tag some threads NSFW, but we could start putting that in thread titles when needed.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

These navigation handles used to appear at the top and bottom of every page:
View attachment 249197
Now they appear only at the top. This is current across all MoNa forums so far as I can tell. Any chance we can bring them back to the page bottoms, just beneath the last post where they formerly appeared? It's killing my scroll wheel to read a thread, then have to scroll back to the top of a page to navigate the site.

[Solved] And many thanks. :cool:

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Hmm, not really a fan of the new design for the following reasons:

1. Pale blue background with white comment boxes over it is not very visually appealing. Ditto for the pale beige quote boxes.
2. The quote, reply, and like buttons are now small icons without words. Also where did the multi-quote button go?
3. Now have to click the green circle next to the heart icon to see who liked a post
4. Rounded avatar icon reduces usable space cutting off parts of your avatar
5. No more indicator whether someone is online/offline (currently to the right of username)
6. New "Your menu" bar combines what was two separate areas (user account info and trending now/unanswered threads/etc.) in the process losing Top forums, Member Shoutouts, and forum search/advanced search options. It also now requires an extra click (ex. on down arrow next to it) to get to Participated, Subscribed, My Threads, etc.

Hopefully there will be an option to stay/revert to the current design when the new one goes live as I think it has a cleaner more straightforward functional design.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

When you right click > highlight part of a post > it used to have a Quote popup. That is gone so now we can't quote only part of a post easily...

This was very useful in past when selecting passages from long walls of text when you only wanted to address a certain point.

The handle to Quote a section is back...
Capture01.png
...but when you click on Quote, all it does is take you to the top of the page...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Hopefully there will be an option to stay/revert to the current design when the new one goes live as I think it has a cleaner more straightforward functional design.

I just tried to revert via General Settings > Choose Forum Skin and it fails...

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

You have to use the "Help us test our new forum design?"option (set to yes or no) under General settings to toggle between the existing and new design. It takes effect upon refreshing a forum webpage.

pkcable

Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

How do you not know this. ----- below ------

You have to use the "Help us test our new forum design?"option (set to yes or no) under General settings to toggle between the existing and new design. It takes effect upon refreshing a forum webpage.

Lol, you know this and our volunteer staff person does not! ROFL. ;)

I'm just teasing! ;)

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Why does the current design need to change?

pkcable

Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Why does the current design need to change?

It doesn't HAVE to be changed, it could and should be. A fresh new design. I can't speak for our designer and programmer, BUT they are VERY hard at work on this trying to make a more functional, and modern design. I think they are doing a GREAT job. And we Android Central members who opt in to testing this have a unique opportunity to help shape the process.

I have actually been testing this for a bit longer than most and I have already made many bug reports. The designer and programmer are probably getting sick of my videos!!!! LOL BUT I have seen them implement some of the changes I suggested. Be part of the solution guys! Help us make AC (and then hopefully the rest of Mobile Nations) the best web site it can be!

OK hopping off the soapbox! lol

Last edited:

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the insights. I asked to better understand the motivations for change, and then perhaps that might help me or others provide suggestions, or ideas that are more in tune with the design goals and requirements. I do appreciate the opportunity to help test the new design, and understand that the redesign is a non-trivial, complex, and large effort.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site

The forum "tools" button seems to do nothing.
I assume this is where I should be finding the command to "mark forum as read", but that command is nowhere to be found.

Hey! What browser are you on and is this mobile or desktop? thanks!

Desktop, win10.
No popup menu: IE11, MS Edge, Firefox
Works: Chrome

Follow-up...
Using a cached view of the site (normal open a forum from a bookmark), MS Edge does not show the "tools" popup menu when clicked on.
If I do a forced refresh (shift-F5) to download all pages from the server again, the "tools" popup now works in MS Edge.
Still no popup menu is IE11 or Firefox50.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site

The count of unread messages in a thread:
A slightly bigger font size would be nice.
A slightly darker red would be good as the current color glows so much against the dark background that it is not readable.

pkcable

Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Loving the new look so far, much cleaner and more modern. Is "fresh" the word the cool kids use still?

Anyways I also wanted to give a shout out to the process. Having the community work directly with the designers and programmers is an amazing process. As I said in my rant earlier I have submitted several bug reports, also suggestions, and seen them implemented. I have seen stuff mentioned on this thread by others implemented.

Instead of simply designing something, then flipping the switch and shoving it down our throats, Mobile Nations is actually allowing US to be part of the process. If you have not signed up and/or opted in to this I encourage you to do so! If you ARE opted in, I encourage you to report your findings. Say what you love, BUT don't be afraid to say what's not working for you, cause you MIGHT just get it changed! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.