New Forum Design: Official Feedback Thread

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I rarely view the forum outside of the AC Forums apps, but here's a quick issue I noticed on my phone. The mobile page is a bit too wide, requiring a side scroll to get to some buttons. The advanced reply buttons are also overlapping each other.

731c9773ef71d8d88916b3e2696aa199.jpg

3ce5c9073bf5d1fe30a3a440d642978e.jpg

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
The Style Chooser isn't working for me using Chrome on a desktop. I see the box, try choosing a different style, the page refreshes, and I'm still using the "MoNa" style.

I also absolutely hate the redesign, particularly that I no longer seem to be able to edit my posts and I don't have any type of clear description of what many of the options are. This new design is overly large and harder to follow on a desktop PC, harder to use (especially for those of us a bit older who might have issues seeing some of the small options icons clearly), and looks like the type of thing designed for a grade schooler (in terms of font sizes vs. icon sizes) to use.
Aww, c'mon "mojelijk", I'm 67 and I can still read it... I'm still using Mozilla Firefox and I can edit my posts, though the edit symbol is (kind of) hiding up in the top right corner of your post. There's three icons that are partially cut off by the text box (are you reading this Mods) - the third one to the right is the edit pencil! I found it only by hovering over it so just yell at me for busting you!!! You are right about the style chooser - I hope they get that fixed! I only busted you because I'm and old codger too!!!

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Aww, c'mon "mojelijk", I'm 67 and I can still read it... I'm still using Mozilla Firefox and I can edit my posts, though the edit symbol is (kind of) hiding up in the top right corner of your post. There's three icons that are partially cut off by the text box (are you reading this Mods) - the third one to the right is the edit pencil! I found it only by hovering over it so just yell at me for busting you!!! You are right about the style chooser - I hope they get that fixed! I only busted you because I'm and old codger too!!!

You are correct, the edit is there, just that if you quote a post the icon is hidden by the quote text box. And I don't have problems reading -- if anything the text of the posts is too large. But things like the report, edit, and other icons are quite small -- and get hidden by quotes, as well as some of the text and options at the top and bottom of the page. It isn't so much that I can't read it, it is the huge discrepancy between the large text and large icons underneath a post, and the small icons and text elsewhere on the page -- it just doesn't look good to me.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
You are correct, the edit is there, just that if you quote a post the icon is hidden by the quote text box. And I don't have problems reading -- if anything the text of the posts is too large. But things like the report, edit, and other icons are quite small -- and get hidden by quotes, as well as some of the text and options at the top and bottom of the page. It isn't so much that I can't read it, it is the huge discrepancy between the large text and large icons underneath a post, and the small icons and text elsewhere on the page -- it just doesn't look good to me.
I will concur - like the "Originally posted by jimd1050" is close to half the font size of the text in the message, as are our usernames, those upper icons I just referenced earlier? They could do some proportional makeover work to equal things out a bit better I think is what you're saying?

EDIT - Like everything else these days (Note 7), maybe they released a bit TOO EARLY!

Laugh_b.jpg

David Lundblad

Director of Design
Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Keep the feedback and bug hunting up everyone - we really appreciate it!

Despite 2 months of testing we see that several things broke when we pushed it live - we are dealing with everything as quickly as we can, we promise.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
There is a "style chooser" at the bottom of the page, left side of middle column. I see three standard options, MoNa, AC Amp, and AC Forums 2012. I'm guessing you might like AC Forums 2012. However, when I try to change styles it always reverts back to MoNa; any of the other two styles doesn't "stick".
I do like the old style, but choosing it doesn't work.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
@David Lundblad, First would just like to give a really huge thank you for this awesome new design. I did see that some members did not like it but i love it. Especially the new 'Dark Theme' Absolutely AMAZING. The hard work everyone has done behind the scenes is so appreciated and you deserve big praise for it. Was eagerly waiting the day i go a message from James to say the new forum design is LIVE. There are couple things i noticed just off the bat there were a little 'off' :)
First Thing: There are 2 icons that are being covered up by text or quoted messages. :)
Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 9.02.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 9.02.47 PM.png
Second Thing: I'm not sure if this is a feature and its supposed to be like this, but the cursor or the "text line" seems really big an the lines between sentences is quite large when typing messages :)
Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 9.10.12 PM.png
Lastly there is some text "1 .x Snippet:" in-between the adverts on the right side of the page. Its very small and not that noticeable but thought i would mention it :D
Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 9.14.56 PM.png
Again, sorry to only point out the things that are wrong. I really do love this website and forum so much. Hope fully my feedback can be useful. Hope you have a fantastic weekend.

Regards

Matty

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Using the dark background, in the message threads, the bright red color for the message author names is so bright that it glows and is hard to read. Getting it toned down to the level of the "unread" count in the thread list screen might help.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
When using the "tools" menu to mark a forum read, it would be nice if the page was refreshed (or auto navigated to the parent forum?) so that we can see that the forum was actually marked as read.

using Windows 10, ms edge and Firefox 51

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't like change. Even potentially "good" change is still a negative for me.

Please, please, make it go away! :-[

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
There is one more little thing i noticed. When viewing the 'Who has liked me page" The formatting of the headings cuts off some of the text (Pictured Below)
Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 9.27.20 PM.png

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Lol.

This doesn't change the fact that my local grocery store just spent several weeks changing the stocking pattern of every single aisle in the store. No longer can I run into the store and grab ten things in a matter of minutes; no, I have to spend an inordinate amount of time searching for their new locations. The rearrangement of the store serves no positive purpose for me; in fact, it makes my life more difficult.

Frankly, I feel the same about forum "upgrades" - only rarely do they accomplish anything useful, but they do mean that I have to waste time figuring out what has changed, where things have moved to, acclimate myself to new search lists layouts, and so on and so on.

Like the grocery store experience, it is a net loss for me.

Bruce39

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
You still have not fixed the Mobile Nations app (I reported a long time ago). The new PC web site sucks big time. The functionality may be OK, but there are a lot of features that are changed or missing, that I don't like. I am sure other people have reported so I won't bother; but I will probably quit coming to this site and will use other Android forums instead.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I like most of it, it's not as easy (for me) to tell what has and what has not been read. And the green mark showing I participated in that thread looks too close to the ? showing a question thread

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I have to sound in here and say I do NOT like this new forum layout.

It's not that no one likes change, it's when the changes made makes things more difficult. I can't believe that anyone likes having to go into Settings > Storage on their device... just to eject a USB device, rather than just pulling down the notification shade and ejecting it right there! Yes, I know... it's just an example, but the ease of using something, anything, is what's important to me rather than "material design".

I spend a lot of time here, but just yesterday when the new design launched in my browser (desktop), I seriously thought of dropping out. Yesterday, when I opened the site in my browser, it went to the new design... I closed all tabs, cleared history, cookies, cache and closed my browser... then I even cleared DNS cache... then I opened up AC again and the new site was still displayed. I then went through the same clearing, and then the old layout showed up. Today, (right now), I'm in the old layout. I'm not really sure if the new site is live or not, or what caused the new site to pop up yesterday and revert back to the old layout today.

I'm in agreement with many others that the new layout is not pleasing. Unless there's a way to choose the old style over the new, I'm really considering leaving AC if/when my browser finally decides it wants to always show me the new style and I can't change it back.

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Learning new things is good for the brain, maybe because I am growing up in a different way than most, I don't like a lot of things, Matty and some pointed most, I would like a version like this one for the tablet and one different for the desktop, with smaller fonts and more options, but kit won't change my mood anytime soon the fact that it's not the way it used to be.

Mark8768

May 24, 2010
Visit site
There is a "style chooser" at the bottom of the page, left side of middle column. I see three standard options, MoNa, AC Amp, and AC Forums 2012. I'm guessing you might like AC Forums 2012. However, when I try to change styles it always reverts back to MoNa; any of the other two styles doesn't "stick".

It was not working earlier.. it is now. Yup AC Forums 2012 is the ticket... Thanks

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
It was not working earlier.. it is now. Yup AC Forums 2012 is the ticket... Thanks
If this "remains" true, then I won't have to quit coming here. My browser hasn't forced the new layout like it did before, so I can't test. The fact that I had the experience I wrote about makes me think the implementation might not be "just right" yet. Time will tell.