Android Central website has malware? CONGRATULATIONS, YOU'VE BEEN SELECTED

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
How many times have you guys seen that page redirect with popup message: CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE BEEN RANDOMLY SELECTED for blah blah? I'm using a brand new phone with NO apps installed.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is this on the app or the mobile site? I recommend posting here if you're talking about the site, or here if you're talking about either of the apps, so that the site admins are aware of this kind of deceptive and intrusive ad.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It's happening right now. I'm using a BRAND NEW S8. Nothing installed. All stock settings. I'm using Google Chrome browser. Happens pretty often.Screenshot_20170526-172129.jpg

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Android Central has spyware: CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE BEEN SELECTED..

Using brand new S8
No apps installed
All stock settings
Using default Google Chrome browser
Happens randomly
Just happened right now

Are you guys allowing these advertisers on your site?

See below:
Screenshot_20170526-172413.jpgScreenshot_20170526-172129.jpg

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: Android Central has spyware: CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE BEEN SELECTED..

I have been getting this crap on AC for over a week now. Much of the time there is no way to get this off your screen without a restart and cache clear of your browser. My Google Pixel XL also vibrates uncontrollably when this ad comes up. This is making your site unusable.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

These ads are ridiculous. Every third or fourth thread I go to the Reward Center hijacks the browser for a Wal-Mart gift card or a free iPhone. This site is infected!

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

These ads are ridiculous. Every third or fourth thread I go to the Reward Center hijacks the browser for a Wal-Mart gift card or a free iPhone. This site is infected!

Guess it helps them pay the bills? Not if everyone migrates to a different site...

Mr Mendelli

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site

Is this happening only on Android Central, or is it on any other Mobile Nations sites? I'm not a moderator or anything like that, I just use the app and I've never seen anything like this. I checked the mobile site as well, there are ads, but no scam pop-ups. I wonder if this was an "executive decision" by Mobile Nations.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

As far as i know these forums are the only mobile nations site I use. This is happening with the mobile version.

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

To @All - thanks for reporting (and thanks for your concern). We certainly do not endorse 'ads' like that. I've notified our tech team and we are working to fix the problem via our ad partner.

Apologies for the inconvenience (and annoyance!!)

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Galaxy S7 and no issues on my phone

David Lundblad

Director of Design
Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the report - several like this...

We are of course as upset as you are and are looking at solutions with our ad partner

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Is this happening only on Android Central, or is it on any other Mobile Nations sites? I'm not a moderator or anything like that, I just use the app and I've never seen anything like this. I checked the mobile site as well, there are ads, but no scam pop-ups. I wonder if this was an "executive decision" by Mobile Nations.

Website. I don't use the app.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the report - several like this...

We are of course as upset as you are and are looking at solutions with our ad partner

Thanks for the help. Fingers crossed as I haven't been hijacked by any of these ads for the last few hours.