Android Central redesign!

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Not a bug, but IMHO there is a ton of wasted space in the forums now. Fonts are too big and a lot of empty space (line and cell spacing?). There's a lot of scrolling going on now.

In addition to wasting screen real-estate, larger fonts are less comfortable/pleasing/efficient to read.

+1, There is a ton of white/bluespace now....makes it look very sparse, and tricky to read.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The site is too narrow. I'm on a 1600x1200 monitor. There are 300 pixels on the left that are blank. 600 pixels of content. 350 pixels of ads. Finally, about 300 more pixels of blank space.

If you count that out, that is almost 40% blanks space, and slightly less content (there is actually a little more blanks space that 600 pixels, that was rounded a bit). Why not make the content at least 1000 pixels wide? Even a netbook can do that. The current design is so narrow. I'm not a web designer, maybe that's a standard, but it seems more pronounced on this site to me.

Past that, the site looks good, as do the forums. However, I dearly hope one of the new features is a redesigned comment system on the actual site. The current one just doesn't cut it.

Dieter Bohn

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
Maybe just me but logging in to the forums is a bit of a run around. When I click the box to type in my user name it takes me to another screen to log in and then once logged in it take me to my user profile which isnt necessary at all. Im using chrome btw...

That was a bug. Fixed.

Dieter Bohn

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
I also fixed a sidebar bug for non-logged-in users on forum displays.

We'll continue tweaking some colors and fonts, but we're not likely to be reducing font size -- we live in a beautiful new tablet future where people have slightly smaller screens and need slightly bigger text by default.

gasponia

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Great changes. Only bug I've noticed so far is that tooltips don't appear correctly for the comment rating system on main page posts. The text of the tooltip as you hover over each star is partially obscured, at least for me, in Chrome. By no means a significant issue, but a bug nonetheless.

Dieter Bohn

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
Great changes. Only bug I've noticed so far is that tooltips don't appear correctly for the comment rating system on main page posts. The text of the tooltip as you hover over each star is partially obscured, at least for me, in Chrome. By no means a significant issue, but a bug nonetheless.

Thanks, will work on that.The whole thing needs an overhaul

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Totally cool :D

Deiter, is Android Central the only one to have gotten redesigned, or all the other connecting (forums) as well?