can you trust Android Cebtral?

anon(10212606)

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
We all know this site has a lot of adverts but come on , I clicked on a link for the Accor Hotels group Booking App and get this instead Rewards Center

I find this unacceptable. Total utter crap and I am sure Accor Hotels would not be pleased being Associated with this .
Seriously considering uninstalling Android Central and never using the site again.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
We all know this site has a lot of adverts but come on , I clicked on a link for the Accor Hotels group Booking App and get this instead Rewards Center

I find this unacceptable. Total utter crap and I am sure Accor Hotels would not be pleased being Associated with this .
Seriously considering uninstalling Android Central and never using the site again.

You clicked on an ad and were sent somewhere? Is that what you mean? (Sorry your link isn't taking me anywhere).

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the OP. I don't even dare go to the AC site with my Pixel XL anymore, which is counterintuitive to the purpose of the site, being called ANDROID Central! I just click on a thread in the Pixel forums and my Chrome browser on my Pixel XL gets hijacked with "Virus Warning, you are 21% infected and soon your SIM will be damaged." And you can't use the back key. You have to open a new tab and close the old one, or even restart. I also get the "Rewards Center" and "you've won an iPhone" hijacks often. They take up your whole screen and you have to close out or restart your phone.

I clear my browsing history and cookies, then go to many sites such as Wikipedia, Facebook and other forums with no problems. Then as soon as I go to the AC forums, the hijacking ads start. I now only access the AC site using my PC which for now seems somewhat immune to these hijacks.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
^ I've never had that happen when using AC mobile apps or the desktop site. Are you experiencing this when using WiFi, mobile data, or both?

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the OP. I don't even dare go to the AC site with my Pixel XL anymore, which is counterintuitive to the purpose of the site, being called ANDROID Central! I just click on a thread in the Pixel forums and my Chrome browser on my Pixel XL gets hijacked with "Virus Warning, you are 21% infected and soon your SIM will be damaged." And you can't use the back key. You have to open a new tab and close the old one, or even restart. I also get the "Rewards Center" and "you've won an iPhone" hijacks often. They take up your whole screen and you have to close out or restart your phone.

I clear my browsing history and cookies, then go to many sites such as Wikipedia, Facebook and other forums with no problems. Then as soon as I go to the AC forums, the hijacking ads start. I now only access the AC site using my PC which for now seems somewhat immune to these hijacks.
I get the same thing. Quite annoying too. I guess the site isn't what it used to be.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I use Firefox and no ad blocker - and never see it either. But the original link posted for Rewards Center seems to be a rotating link - click it a few times and you'll get redirected to different sites. (I don't have an ad blocker, but I do have very strong anti-malware protection.)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If you like what's posted here, there are the AC apps. I personally use the AC Forums app, and it is ad free.

As for the ads, this sometimes happens to even legitimate sites. I can't speak as an authority here, but sometimes an ad service will have one of these bad actors slip by like this. Usually they are quickly removed, either by the ad service or three affected site owner. If this is the first time something like this has happened to you, or is at least a rare occurrence, then that's where I'm putting my money. I doubt it's AC actively trying to hijack your browser and such.