Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Going to weigh in for a moment. When a website has so many ads that a gaming PC can feel it, there is a problem. I won't name names.....

The reason of these sites need income is not a tired excuse...it's a fact. The question truly becomes how many of these ads veiled as articles do they need to publish? Probably no where near as many as they think. I really believe that most of us, no matter where they live, have become so inundated by ads that recalling one is difficult. We're so used to shutting them out that we don't notice them as easily.

I haven't been to the blog in quite some time. I'll let everyone guess the reason why....

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
True, but I'm not willing to install 28 different forum apps on my phone. I'll continue to use TT.
I tried TT once. When I logged in to this site, it automatically registered me to about 3 other sites I've never seen before. Needless to say I unsubscribed those pages and deleted the app.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
The site ad junk is mostly mitigated with Brave Browser, but an annoying screen-wide embedded banner for Cyber Monday (on the FORUM PAGE) got through last night. I know money is needed, but someone needs to tone down the ads big time. Honestly, the ONLY reason I haven't abandoned this website is because of the AMAZING forum community. The news page on the other hand sucks and RARELY has any decent articles. And the iOS related articles MUST GO FOR ONCE! This is not CultOfMac or 9to5Mac.

It is really weird how a website can have a freaking PERFECT FORUM but crappy news page. Someone needs to get their act together.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
As B. Diddy wrote above, I too consider the blogs to be entirely separate from the forums. In fact, I rarely browse them or look at them unless one of the titles grabs me - I almost exclusively live in the forums.

I'm sorry you are dissatisfied. Ads and promotions are out everywhere - be they at malls, on billboards, or online via apps. It's unfortunate but that's the way it goes.

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
As B. Diddy wrote above, I too consider the blogs to be entirely separate from the forums. In fact, I rarely browse them or look at them unless one of the titles grabs me - I almost exclusively live in the forums.

I'm sorry you are dissatisfied. Ads and promotions are out everywhere - be they at malls, on billboards, or online via apps. It's unfortunate but that's the way it goes.
I agree with you there. This year though the blog has really exploded with the November /December ads.

I think it's time I just sit with the forums.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you there. This year though the blog has really exploded with the November /December ads.

It's not just here, it's email also as I noted in a previous post. Several of the companies I regularly receive daily email ads from sent me anywhere from 2-4 messages every day since Wed. last week. It's getting to be a bit much, EVERYWHERE.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I know money is needed, but someone needs to tone down the ads big time.

They actually were worse before. Do you remember when we were getting ads on the main forum page that would wait about a 1-2 seconds, then suddenly narrow the page with huge side banners that were made to look like curtains? I want to say they were Circuit City ads, but that also doesn't seem right, since they closed in 2008. Maybe it was Best Buy. Anyway, that caused no end of teeth gnashing for the whole Ambassador and Mod team as we would frequently click on the dang ad instead of a thread half the time.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
They actually were worse before. Do you remember when we were getting ads on the main forum page that would wait about a 1-2 seconds, then suddenly narrow the page with huge side banners that were made to look like curtains? I want to say they were Circuit City ads, but that also doesn't seem right, since they closed in 2008. Maybe it was Best Buy. Anyway, that caused no end of teeth gnashing for the whole Ambassador and Mod team as we would frequently click on the dang ad instead of a thread half the time.
I think the issue is not actual ads,but the blog posts that really are ads disguised as articles, like those things about Disney+ subscription, headphones, vacuum cleaners, instantpots. The vacuum cleaners have absolutely nothing to do with Android, and most people looking to buy a vacuum cleaner or a cooking product wouldn't look for one on a site about Android.

For instance, I don't see any editors' picks about phones on the HGTV site.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
What year? I joined in 2017 and mostly use Tapatalk.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Actually we were bartering way before 'profit' was even a thought. The vast majority of people exchanged things with each other through history. Not money. We were mostly rural up until recent times.

Money created the idea of profit, middlemen, accountants and financial capitalist. All of which has no real bearing on anything 'real'. These things are nothing but constructs for making people 'rich'.

To put it bluntly money isn't required to grow an apple tree.

Even with bartering, there’s a profit motive as I can trade with someone at different rate than someone else or step in the middle of transaction and play arbitrage old school capitalism style. It’s more difficult yet it’s how mankind has thought for centuries. Pretty sure money currency only developed to simplify the arbitrage or profit creation not actually invent.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay