How do I root the skyrocket (I'm on a mac BTW)...I'm getting the phone tomorrow. Decided against the Nexus bc 1. I can use a SD card with SR 2. LTE 3. ICS will be coming soon.

Also, what are the benefits of rooting?

Looking forward to dropping the iPhone and trying Android.
    BLOND37 likes this.
    11-24-2011 12:47 AM
    How do I root the skyrocket (I'm on a mac BTW)...I'm getting the phone tomorrow. Decided against the Nexus bc 1. I can use a SD card with SR 2. LTE 3. ICS will be coming soon.

Also, what are the benefits of rooting?

Looking forward to dropping the iPhone and trying Android.
    cant answer about rooting but i dropped iphone 3 weeks ago.. HUGE learning curve coming to android but i'd never go back to iphone
    11-26-2011 01:02 AM
    Main advantages are deleting bloatware and running custom roms...
    11-27-2011 01:03 PM
    If I ever had to, could I remove the root? Removing all the bloatware appeals greatly to me, as well as adding a wifi tethering app, but I'd like the ability to remove the root if I ever had to take it in for service or whatever. Coming from Sprint, I'm not sure how picky AT&T is about that stuff...
    11-27-2011 01:08 PM
    If I ever had to, could I remove the root? Removing all the bloatware appeals greatly to me, as well as adding a wifi tethering app, but I'd like the ability to remove the root if I ever had to take it in for service or whatever. Coming from Sprint, I'm not sure how picky AT&T is about that stuff...
    BUMP! I'm also curious about this, I'm on a Mac as well. I'd like the tethering option but like Hobbes said, about removing the root, is it simple enough that I can take it off/put it on whenever I'd like?
    12-02-2011 10:04 AM
    BUMP! I'm also curious about this, I'm on a Mac as well. I'd like the tethering option but like Hobbes said, about removing the root, is it simple enough that I can take it off/put it on whenever I'd like?
    I haven't tried it yet, but I think this might be the general way to unroot your phone. Not sure if it works on the Mac, though.

[HOWTO][TAR] THE ODIN THREAD :: Return to stock, fix soft brick :: 11/13: Rogers TAR! - xda-developers

Another benefit of rooting was installing a modded version of gmail to allow for unread counts on the icon (like Go Notification).
    12-02-2011 07:29 PM
    Main advantages are deleting bloatware and running custom roms...
    this is probably a stupid question, but how do i remove all bloatware now that i'm rooted? do i need to use something like titanium backup?
    thanks
    edit:
    N/M i figured it out. sorry.
    12-15-2011 06:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD