Hey guys, I am so overdue to root this phone that it's driving me crazy. I've researched the process to the point of exhaustion, but like others I'm not much of a risk taker when it comes to technology, but in almost anything else I love taking chances. So I'm looking into sky ics or cm10(depending on stability), but a question popped into my head earlier about the root process and device administrators and whether or not there is a conflict there. Any input is greatly appreciated as I want to get this done while I still have the itch. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727
    08-21-2012 05:37 PM
    Sorry to jump in here, but I'm new to the forum and can reply but can't find the place to start a new post. I need sync help and am not finding it and don't know how to start a new post. Usually there's a link somewhere on boards, but I don't see one!
    08-21-2012 06:06 PM
    Hey guys, I am so overdue to root this phone that it's driving me crazy. I've researched the process to the point of exhaustion, but like others I'm not much of a risk taker when it comes to technology, but in almost anything else I love taking chances. So I'm looking into sky ics or cm10(depending on stability), but a question popped into my head earlier about the root process and device administrators and whether or not there is a conflict there. Any input is greatly appreciated as I want to get this done while I still have the itch. Thanks

By device administrators, do you mean the setting that allows different apps or people to make changes? If so, that setting is still there and works the same.

I am currently on CM9 Stable and tried Sky ICS. Both are really good and stable overall but I prefer CM9. CM10 is still in Alpha and some people have minor problems pop up such as with the camera and such.

The root process is actually pretty easy. Someone posted a really easy to follow tutorial on XDA Developers. It looks and sounds more confusing then it is, take your time and reread everything a couple of times before doing it.

If you need any help, let me know :thumbup:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
    adammcgovern likes this.
    08-22-2012 05:48 PM
    Hey becio, I was actually more referring to any "device administrators" that have been granted that status via apps. I just decided to shove aside any hesitation and do it anyway. I figured what's the worst that could happen? There are many other things going on in the world that matter more than a unusable phone. Nobody tells me what to do, eh, except for a lot of people actually :rolleyes: so I guess if this is one thing I can take control of than why the heck not.
    So I'm rooted but I'm staying stock for now. I've been looking closely at sky ics and cm9 and am kinda siding towards sky ics, but I'm not sure which way option to choose. When you used that which of the two variants did you use? Dragon seems pretty sweet. I'm not big into social networking or any real fluff anyway. I was just having a little bit of a hard time figuring out how picking a base and adding updates and extras work. I did update to the newest cwm today though and it seems that for the SR it's a great fit. My android_secure file is located in my ext_sd and sk8 has a zip specifically for that. Anyways, sorry for the long arse post and thanks for replying. Let me know what you used and how it worked for you

08-23-2012 04:25 AM
    @Gov: I tried both the dragon and other base. If you don't use Calendar on your phone, dragon is really smooth. It really is designed to run smoothly. My only problem with Sky ICS is having to fix permissions through recovery and having to clear cache several times after installing it. Every time I've tried Sky ICS, it runs really smooth, then something FCs, so I have to boot into recovery and fix permissions. I think it would eventually smooth out but I guess I don't have the patience lol.

I actually just tried CM10 alpha last night after trying the current 8/17 Sky ICS and really like it. I think I just prefer the AOSP style over Touchwiz. Runs really smooth surprisingly for a beta.

My recommendation is try all of the different Roms you want and go from there. Different people have different experiences and from what I've read, other people don't have issues with Sky ICS like I do (I could be doing something wrong, I'm fairly new to this too ).

Just make sure to download Titanium Backup while you are rooted and backup all of your apps. Saves so much time after trying different Roms to setup all of your apps. The only thing it doesn't save is your launcher settings. Run a backup in recovery too of your current stock setting so you can always go back to stock if you wanted.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    08-23-2012 11:51 AM
    The stock backup is the first thing I did. I've read way too many horror stories.

08-23-2012 05:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD