Low number of requirements

crachor

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Here are my 4 requirements for a smartwatch at this point:
- low price
- sleep tracking
- watch for everyday use
- largest point here: I need something I can keep my phone (Moto X pure) unlocked while it's connected to.

As I haven't purchased any smartwatch before, I'm looking for suggestions.

I came across the Martian Notifier, which at this point is winning for me, mostly because of the low price I can find it on Amazon for. (Amazon.com: Martian Watches Notifier Smartwatch - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Those last three work are good on just about every device out there that isn't a Samsung. Low price, what range are you targeting? That Martian doesn't have Android Wear; it is just syncing notifications and has no functionality to interact.

crachor

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm not really needing much in way of notifications and functionality. I'm on my phone more than anything, and am just looking for something that I can keep my phone unlocked. I use Android Pay, and I don't want it getting too easily accessed if I lose it/it get's stolen; so if anything, just a $100 or less item that doesn't need charging every single day.

Sleep tracking could be taken off the list I guess.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd go with a Fitbit for that. The Fitbit charge is like $90 new on amazon right now. Anything that is connected by BT will work for smart unlock trusted devices for your phone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I picked up my LG G Watch for $30 on sale back in 2014 . still going strong today. Should meet all your original criteria in the op. I keep the screen on all the time, and it lasts me a day. If you don't need the screen always on then it should last you longer.

crachor

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I'd go with a Fitbit for that. The Fitbit charge is like $90 new on amazon right now. Anything that is connected by BT will work for smart unlock trusted devices for your phone.

That's assuming the bluetooth device is "always on." So far, my misfit flash hasn't been able to do it with my phone; if it is actually capable of doing so, then I'd delete this thread or leave it be, as I would have my answer.

crachor

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it. LG definitely has more of a "name brand" recognition than the Martian.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Lots of options are available nowadays for that price range, as mentioned above. The martian notifier is pretty basic and doesn't have a ton of extra features that something like the LG G Watch would have. However, this is also the notifier's strength... It doesn't do everything, just a few things and does them well. As I recall tho, the notifier does not do sleep tracking.

On that point about sleep tracking, you'd have to have a third party app to do that with an Android Wear watch, like the LG G Watch.

Another suggestion besides the above two is the Pebble smartwatch (the "Classic" / original one is most likely to be the least expensive). It ticks all the above boxes, but uses a e-paper screen. The e-paper screen may not look as nice as the LG's, but it allows the Pebble to get days and days out of its battery (which can be handy if your trying to use the watch all day and then still wear it to bed for sleep tracking).

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'll put my vote in for the original Pebble.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I've had the Martian Notifier, Asus Zenwatch2 and now a People Time.

The martian notifier was great to get info from the phone and the battery lasted for about 4 to 6 days between charges. The watch face lasts forever (watch battery) so you never have to worry about losing enough charge to tell the time.

It was too one way for me but is still a great watch!

I then bought myself a Android Wear Zenwatch2. I returned it after about a week. IMHO tech is not quite there to make a full blown smart watch fully enjoyable. I found myself holding my arm funny a lot to wake up the screen and also the piece was quite large although I liked it compared to other smart watches. I also found it disconcerting to worry about charging daily.

When I took it back to best buy to return it I saw Pebble. I saw the red Pebble Time. Their Pebble Time Steel is also gorgeous but I already have a dress watch and wanted something fun.

The battery has been lasting a solid 4.5 days. It is advertised as upto 7 but I don't baby it. It is water proof to 30 meters. It is light and comfortable. Basically you wear it like a watch. It tracks steps sleep and all that too.

It grabs all my notification and if I need to can do quick replies through it with my voice. Have to say I'm liking Pebble these days.

Edit... Oops forgot to actually answer the OP's requirements. It is low cost compared to new AW watches, sleep tracking is auto tracking and rock solid, you really can wear this lime a watch.

Currently using LG G4 and Pebble Time

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay