ARcore + Sceneform (Android Studio) Transparency not showing up.

guruabyss

May 22, 2020
Visit site
I'm just starting out in AR and using Android Studio (ARCore + Sceneform). Using Maya to export an FBX file with embedded media checked. Using a blinn for some of the object's body and a semitransparent shader to represent glass. The issue I'm running into is the semitransparent shader is showing up 100% opaque in AR. I tried the following:

1. Blinn shader, made it semi-transparent by sliding the 'Transparency attribute' slider to the center (gray). In Maya it looks great, I export FBX load it into Android Studio use my phone to AR and nope, it's 100% opaque.

2. Blinn, Driving transparencies using a texture with gray values in the 'Transparency attribute' using a file texture. Again this doesn't work.

3. Blinn, a PNG file with some transparent areas in the 'Transparency attribute' using a file texture. Again same issue, no transparency.

Is building shaders in Maya a bad idea? If so what would be a better alternative that translates correctly? Also, I just found out about the Stingray PBS shader. Will this be the best option in Maya to use with ARCore + Sceneform? Would it be better to build the shaders in unity if that will translate material information correctly?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I moved this from the Android Apps forum to the Software Development forum since the former is intended for developers to promote their apps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
TBH, Android Central forums aren't heavy on software development/coding. You may want to post your question on the forums at XDA-Developers.com as well, which is more hardcore.