will custom rom remove existing programs?

prahe86

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

A few very basic questions regarding custom rom installation:

1) If i install a custom rom, will it remove all of the programs that I've downloaded and installed from the app store?

2) If so, is the solution to move the applications to an SD card prior to installing the custom rom?

3) If i do need to migrate the programs to an SD card, can you recommend a good application for doing so?

Thanks,
Paul

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

A few very basic questions regarding custom rom installation:

1) If i install a custom rom, will it remove all of the programs that I've downloaded and installed from the app store?
Yes. Although some not all but some rooting methods don't wipe the device during the installation which allows you to use programs like Titanium Backup or My Backup Root to preserve your applications & data.
2) If so, is the solution to move the applications to an SD card prior to installing the custom rom?
Moving the applications can't be done, they are installed in root level access areas of the device.
[TIP]Standard system apps like Email, Gmail, Market, etc. these are installed in " /system/app/ ". Market apps and system app updates are installed in " /data/app/ ". [/TIP]
3) If i do need to migrate the programs to an SD card, can you recommend a good application for doing so?
See above.
Thanks,
Paul
Unfortunately the rooting process on most devices causes the wipe of the system. Its one of those give and take situations. In order to enjoy the pleasures of rooting sometimes you have to give up some to gain.... Of course important things like contacts, gmail, calendar events are all linked to your GMail so those you will get back. As far as getting back your apps from the Market, you can log into the Market via your computer and see all the applications that were installed to your device and select them to be redownloaded including paid apps.

If you do choose to root and install a custom ROM, life from there on is much better because you can backup your apps & data and restore them after flashing a new ROM and as long as you keep a backup schedule which the two apps I mentioned above offer. You will at worse case only loose a few hours of data from your last backup.

Anymore questions. Just ask.

Paul.

Reactions: prahe86

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok titanium back up is amazing its a must you can save everything all apps to the SD card and yes when you flash a rom you will loose it all but if you back up the rom such as in rom manager. You will simply make a copy of all the files make sure your battery is atleast 80% or higher its a drain on it as the CPU is going full throttle to write all the. Stock rom to the SD card it typically takes 8 to 10 mins to fully copy it then you can flash a custom rom now before you flash make sure you got to menu/settings/accounts & sync then sync all Google should take 2 minits once its synced all your contacts are synced with Google on your g mail if you flash cm ( cyanogen mod) be aware you will need to find your appropriate gapps ( Google apps) market talk. That sort of thing and when you get the back up flash it once successfully. Go to the market and when you synced you also synced the market status it should auto download all your apps but having a titanium back up is really good just incase trust me on that

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463