t0ast3d

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Here is a thread to help the new people with ADB

1. Turn on ADB

Go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging

2. Running ADB

To run ADB, downolad the newest Android SDK and place it in C: and rename it AndroidSDK

SDK Link: Download the Android SDK | Android Developers

Open up command prompt and type
cd c:\AndroidSDK/tools

You are now in

3. Basic ADB commands

ADB push (sends files to your phone) -- adb push c:\example.apk /sdcard/example.apk

ADB pull (Receives files from your phone) -- adb pull /system/app/example.apk c:\example.apk

ADB install (installs application) -- adb install c:\example.apk

adb shell (Begins shell connection with phone)

adb reboot (reboots phone)

adb reboot recovery (reboots phone into recovery)

adb reboot bootloader (reboots the phone into bootloader/the white screen)

adb remount (remounts the system)

4. Commands to run while in ADB Shell

cd (changes directories) -- cd /system/app

ls (lists all files in the directory) -- cd /system/app

rm (removes files) -- rm /system/app/example.apk

cp (copies files) similar to cat -- cp /system/app/example.apk /sdcard/example.apk

cat (copies files) -- cat /system/app/example.apk > /sdcard/example.apk

exit (exits shell) -- exit

Let me know if I was able to help in any way, or if you want to learn how to do more through adb

Last edited:

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
thanks man. im sure a lot of people will read this and it will answer their questions. or atleast point them in the right direction. ill sticky it but seeing as it is more or less general and not device specific I am going to move it to the hacking section before i sticky it. if there is anything else you want to add like things you can do with adb, by all means you can always edit it. good job man

t0ast3d

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
thanks man. im sure a lot of people will read this and it will answer their questions. or atleast point them in the right direction. ill sticky it but seeing as it is more or less general and not device specific I am going to move it to the hacking section before i sticky it. if there is anything else you want to add like things you can do with adb, by all means you can always edit it. good job man

No problem man, thank you thank you for support :D

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
no, thank you for your informative thread :cool:

i know a good amount when it comes to rooting, roms, themes (things of that nature). when it comes to coding type stuff im a complete newb haha. but never really saw a major reason for adb since i originally purchased the droid back in November. what are some things you can do or reasons you would need to use adb?

Reactions: elcubanevo

t0ast3d

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
no, thank you for your informative thread :cool:

i know a good amount when it comes to rooting, roms, themes (things of that nature). when it comes to coding type stuff im a complete newb haha. but never really saw a major reason for adb since i originally purchased the droid back in November. what are some things you can do or reasons you would need to use adb?

Anytime. It might say I'm a newb on here, but that's not true by any means lol.

Um, the main reason I use it is for logcat. Say if you have a infinite boot loop or something is going wrong, you can look in the logcat to see your device log which you see everything that loaded successfully and/or didn't to help find your problem. You can also run bug reports. Those are the top 2 IMO.

but I could go on all day about the reasons to set up ADB, but might save that for another thread if there already isn't one ;)

anon(32825)

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I've done as instructed. I type adb shell and I get "error: device not found"

What USB mode do I need to be in? How do I connect to my phone? I tried adb -d shell but that didn't work. I tried adb connect, but it asks for host:port and I have no idea what those would be.

Help please!

t0ast3d

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I've done as instructed. I type adb shell and I get "error: device not found"

What USB mode do I need to be in? How do I connect to my phone? I tried adb -d shell but that didn't work. I tried adb connect, but it asks for host:port and I have no idea what those would be.

Help please!

What Windows are you running?

Do you have HTC Sync installed?

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
What Windows are you running?

Do you have HTC Sync installed?

i'm having the same problem, getting error device found, and if i try to say install JIT i get device not found with that as well

I am running windows 7, no HTC sync, USB Debugging is enabled. Running Bugless Beast .021, p3droid 800mhz kernel and the latest baseband update i could find.

Additonally if i go to device list in windows it'll show my motodroid listed properly.

still can't seem to get it to work properly, i also have made sure that adb.exe is in my PATH settings for windows as well.

t0ast3d

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
so in Devices & printers > Android phone (Whatever you have it named) > Hardware and nothing has a triangle with an exclamation mark?

Did you try updating the drivers?

My buddy just got a droid so I'll look into it.

Sorry, I just don't know much about droids but I'll get back here asap.

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
so in Devices & printers > Android phone (Whatever you have it named) > Hardware and nothing has a triangle with an exclamation mark?

Did you try updating the drivers?

My buddy just got a droid so I'll look into it.

Sorry, I just don't know much about droids but I'll get back here asap.

yeah it shows up correctly in there, no errors, tried updating the drivers but it pretty much doesn't let me, checked the drivers and its on revision 2 which is the one w/ droid support, so i'm not sure at this point.

t0ast3d

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
yeah it shows up correctly in there, no errors, tried updating the drivers but it pretty much doesn't let me, checked the drivers and its on revision 2 which is the one w/ droid support, so i'm not sure at this point.

I have no idea.

I'll have my friends Droid today so I'll try to get the problem figured out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon