Benefits of rooting and not loading a custom ROM?

neoncorey

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I am new to Android, came from a Palm PRE (which I patched, hacked, overclocked, etc). I am running an HTC EVO, which so far I really like and I am happy with. My question right now is, if I am NOT going to load a custom ROM then what is the advantage to rooting? And what disadvantages? My only true goal currently is to remove some of the pre-installed apps that I never use and maybe add tethering, but I just want to make sure it is worth rooting for these 2 advantages that I know of.

I know similar questions are asked all the time online, for which I have looked a little bit about. I was just wondering if someone can confirm I am understanding it correctly being that I don't care to load a new ROM; because I don't want to deal with the hassle of loading Phone packages, not having Sense UI work, or worrying about OTA updates failing.

Advantages:
1. Get priv to remove bloated pre-loaded apps like Amazon Mp3 (not sure if there is another uninstaller app once rooted that allows the removal of the apps or not)
2. Load tethering application

Disadvantages:
1. Most custom ROMs don't play well with Sense UI which I like.
2. Seems like there are multiple additionals packages that need loaded afterwards at times, like the Phone radio and others?
3. Mixed reports on if the Sprint OTA updates will work with a rooted phone, hopefully it just overwrites it?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

htcevohack99

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
lol i just did the ota (over the air) update for my evo while i was at work forgetting my phone being rooted (using unrevoked.com) and it didnt hurt my phone at all. unrevoked is trying to find a new root for the OTA update now, they have made a patch for users that havent done the update that will give all of them the advantages of the update and let them keep the rootV1, inwhich i didnt know that the OTA was going to patch the hboot and not allow my root to work.. thats why i did the update,, why you ask? "why didnt i check into what was in the update before i did it?" because i was at work so i just did the update. lol wish i wouldnt have, i would also wait for the FROYO update for the evo befor you try flashing a new rom there is talk about them making the wifi free off of the phone, built into it...

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I am new to Android, came from a Palm PRE (which I patched, hacked, overclocked, etc). I am running an HTC EVO, which so far I really like and I am happy with. My question right now is, if I am NOT going to load a custom ROM then what is the advantage to rooting? And what disadvantages? My only true goal currently is to remove some of the pre-installed apps that I never use and maybe add tethering, but I just want to make sure it is worth rooting for these 2 advantages that I know of.

I know similar questions are asked all the time online, for which I have looked a little bit about. I was just wondering if someone can confirm I am understanding it correctly being that I don't care to load a new ROM; because I don't want to deal with the hassle of loading Phone packages, not having Sense UI work, or worrying about OTA updates failing.

Advantages:
1. Get priv to remove bloated pre-loaded apps like Amazon Mp3 (not sure if there is another uninstaller app once rooted that allows the removal of the apps or not)

Disadvantages:
2. Seems like there are multiple additionals packages that need loaded afterwards at times, like the Phone radio and others?
3. Mixed reports on if the Sprint OTA updates will work with a rooted phone, hopefully it just overwrites it?

Thanks

I'm new to Android so I'm definitely going to follow the replies to this one. I'm curious about it myself.

ezun

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
One key benefit to me - Nandroid:
C. Nandroid
Nandroid is a set of bash scripts and code written by Brainaid and infernix @xda-developers that copies the state of your system and stores it in a folder on your SD card. You can then use the restore function of Nandroid to restore to this point at any time. This is a priceless feature and reason enough to root your phone. It’s included by default in most custom recovery images, and the code is freely available to use if you’re inclined to write your own recovery image.
Taken from this thread: http://forum.androidcentral.com/hacking/6037-general-rom-faq.html

Annihil8or

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Thanks

If you are not going to be installing custom ROMs then disadvantages 1 and 2 are moot. Additionally you should not have a problem installing an OTA update with a rooted phone if you are still using the stock ROM included.

Eliminating bloatware is a big bonus. I immediately uninstalled all the Sprint crap that came with my Epic once rooted.

Another major benefit is the ability to backup application data on your SD card. (This is negated a bit by Froyo installation to SD card option, Epic is only on 2.1 though at this point). You can back up all your installed apps using Titanium Backup and if you have to replace your phone or re-flash your ROM then you can quickly and easily re-install without going to the Market.

The ability to control your CPU is a good option as well. Overclocking while in use or underclocking while the screen is off are useful methods to get more out of your phone as well as extend battery life, respectively.

Finally for me the access to increased customization is a bonus. With a bit of digging and research you can replace system image or sound files with those which are more to your liking.

Hope this info helps.

Reactions: slamEVIL

melwan

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
You also get access to nice root-only apps such as CacheCleaner, Titanium Backup (which backs up the apps data as well), uninstall preloaded apps such as CarHome, add other languages not already supported by Android yet, notification colour/frequency changes, etc... (you can check out the XDA community to see a hint of what's possible).

The only thing though is that even if you run a stock rooted rom, you need it to be deodexed for most of these modifications (theming/langauges/etc...) to work. By default, the official stock rom is odexed. Here is a nice method to deodex your stock rooted rom manually (even though it's Droid X forum, the method works fine on N1 and maybe other phones as well).

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I just came from Pre, bought used Hero to check out Android before I did the cash and contract.

Personally the Hero drove me nuts, I like Sense but the speed after an overclocked Pre didn't make me want to keep it even with the newer perks. So I rooted, took me a day to figure it out, went to Froyo 2.2 with overclock.

This was an amazing difference - speed, tethering, battery maintainers, etc., in a way like old Windows phones, but didn't have to maintain. And I liked the cm6 rom, not that much difference, buttons neater and a couple of different placements. And no Sprint c--p so much more memory if needed.

So don't be in a hurry to say you won't go with custom rom, it works the same way with different buttons (unless you go with someone's wild ideas which means stay with your basics and read). With the Evo and upgrades coming, I really don't see huge advantage except rid of Sprint stuff and tethering. And there is a free usb tether, PDA Net, if that fixes your need.

I'm going back to Pre, giving the Hero to hubby (he is on Nextel with antenna so will he be surprised). I have to reflash back to stock for him, couldn't get the number activated by Sprint - I have no idea why, too new at this, but didn't work, couldn't tell them why, and couldn't take it in for service as they suggested! But it will be such an improvement for him, speed doesn't matter and he wants NFL so . .

And I'm back to Pre, overclocked to 1gig. I really do like the size and feel better - no comments, its personal.

melwan

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
^ well you made the comparison with the Hero ;)

Try Nexus One and you will see a true fast Android. 1GHz w/o overclock.

I know the Hero is more comparable to the Pre specs wise, but Android is newer OS with newer features and thus, demand newer specs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool