Can't install or transfer apps to sd card

anon(4316677)

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi. I'm a new android user. Just bought a new android phone running on os 4 ICS.

My problem is, I can't seem to be able to transfer or install apps to my sd card. I only have 2 options whenever I download or install, either they go to phone storage or internal memory, both of which can be found in the phone and not in the sd card.

Can anyone help me?

Intex12345

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
U don't have to Root your phone just to change the install location.
Install Linux Emulator app on your phone. You may use free version. It will do needful.
Open emulator:
Write following commands:

pm getInstallLocation
Above command will tell you that your default install location is '0'. Now you will change the default install location to your SD Card which should be '2'. Write following command on your terminal.

pm setInstallLocation 2
This command will set your default install location to SD Card. All apps will get installed on your SD card by default. To make the changes effective, restart ur handset and ENJOY...!!!

Note : Remember, above commands are case sensitive so use capital letters in commands wherever I ve used. You can also use ADB shell to connect to your phone from PC and write these commands on PC, but that method would be too lengthy in comparison to above method.

Further, you can not move pre-installed applications and bloatwares to SD Card. However, all new apps will get installed in your SD Card by default by executing above procedure.

Last edited:

Ryan_Clark

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
U need to format your SD card in your computer to FAT32! RIGHT CLICK ON SD CARD AND CHOOSE FORMAT FAT32 ENJOY. THX SKUNKAPE

Galaxy S3........:D

rexxcastle

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
U don't have to Root your phone just to change the install location.
Install Linux Emulator app on your phone. You may use free version. It will do needful.
Open emulator:
Write following commands:

pm getInstallLocation
Above command will tell you that your default install location is '0'. Now you will change the default install location to your SD Card which should be '2'. Write following command on your terminal.

pm setInstallLocation 2
This command will set your default install location to SD Card. All apps will get installed on your SD card by default. To make the changes effective, restart ur handset and ENJOY...!!!

Note : Remember, above commands are case sensitive so use capital letters in commands wherever I ve used. You can also use ADB shell to connect to your phone from PC and write these commands on PC, but that method would be too lengthy in comparison to above method.

Further, you can not move pre-installed applications and bloatwares to SD Card. However, all new apps will get installed in your SD Card by default by executing above procedure.

This did not work for me and i typed everything exact