Rooting FAQ's (please post all related questions and concerns about rooting in here)

mimik1

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Rooting FAQ's (please post all related questions and concerns

ok so im a noob to android and i just got my hands on an evo 4g and i try rooting it with unrevocked3 and it was the one recommended to by a friend but it gave me a weird massage "firm ware too new, fail to root" were do i go from here ???

mattboy87

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

I just got a LG Lucid and I cannot figure out how to root it...I've tried the Spectrum root thing but it gets stuck at waiting for device. Can someone help me?

Last edited:

learntall

May 19, 2011
Visit site

Hello, I have a question about my tablet. I own a Maylong M-250 and I flashed Uberoid v.12 onto it. I have lost touchscreen functionality and have not been able to find a way to regain it. This is my first time doing this kind of thing with any kind of device and I was hoping to find some help. I followed an FAQ walk-through for restoring the functionality by changing and removing different lines of code and re-flashing but this has not helped. Everything else works fine and I have been able to operate the tablet with a wireless mouse to check on it. I went through all the forums looking for the right place to post this and for info so I apologize if this is not it, just not sure where to post it. Thank you.

the9thwonder

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

I have a Droid 4 that I had previously rooted. Everything worked great. Was very suprised and pleased by how easy the whole root process was.
Then came ICS update.
Now I do not have root access, but still have the superuser icon in my applications. Do I need to un-root/remove that before I re-root?

Thanks!!

berlynnoland

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site

I have a lg optimus v and I didn't realize it was rooted so I factory data reset it and now it won't but up. I really think the android os needs to be reinstalled and I just need a link to do that with.

DSDCreations

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Help me fast please,
So i rooted my SGS3 with clockwork, but i installed Cyanogen 9 instead of 10 (I'm running Android 4.1.1) and now when i try to boot it it just indefinitely plays the boot animation. And when I try to debug it or download it again from odin, nothing happens.
Please help me quickly and thanks in advance.

nothandledwell27

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
3) roms are in most cases the way you will customize your droid. metamorph is another way but it seems to not be used as much. the difference between the 2 is that a rom will change the system and theme as well as a few other things. metamorph only changes the look of the UI. roms are usually a better bet because their are a lot more options that come with them, like over-clocking, optimized files which will help give your device more memory which in turn can make it faster. just a lot of good stuff.

as for recomendations for roms for you to try out, that is a tough one to answer. there are a lot of good ones and each phone (at least in the droid's case) can react differently with certain roms than others. i know a lot of people love Pete's BB .4 rom and say that it is fast. for me it is fast but not as fast as others that i have used. Lithium is another good option. Currently im running Chevy's Simply Stunning rom and im loving it. it's f ast, its got a great theme and he has added a lot of great options. to each their own.

good luck all

I just recently unlocked an rooted my phone (HTC One X -AT&T). When I launch into recovery mode, Team Win Recovery Project v2.3.3.0 comes up. My original intention for rooting my phone is twofold: I want to have the permissions to turn my into a wifi hotspot (AT&T blocks it); and I want to be able to run Jelly Bean.
I have so many different programs that I downloaded. I ended up using: [TOOL] HTC One X (Evita) All-In-One Toolkit V2.0 [12-24-12] [PERM ROOT][Noob-Proof] - xda-developers
I also dled a mod from cyanogen.org.
I'm confused about how to proceed? Is ROM synonymous with OS? When I boot my phone, I still go to the my current OS which still will not enable me to use my phone as a wifi hotspot.
Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

YoshiB1

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Good post. I read this article elsewhere. I have a question. It mentions SSH and to find out if a server is running or change the default password.

Is this still relevant?
Is it common for servers to be actively looking for users that have the default SSH password?
How do you change the password?
Is there a way to find out about the servers without asking other people?

Thanks.

nothandledwell27

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I just recently unlocked an rooted my phone (HTC One X -AT&T). When I launch into recovery mode, Team Win Recovery Project v2.3.3.0 comes up. My original intention for rooting my phone is twofold: I want to have the permissions to turn my into a wifi hotspot (AT&T blocks it); and I want to be able to run Jelly Bean.
I have so many different programs that I downloaded. I ended up using: [TOOL] HTC One X (Evita) All-In-One Toolkit V2.0 [12-24-12] [PERM ROOT][Noob-Proof] - xda-developers
I also dled a mod from cyanogen.org.
I'm confused about how to proceed? Is ROM synonymous with OS? When I boot my phone, I still go to the my current OS which still will not enable me to use my phone as a wifi hotspot.
Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

So, I'm shifting gears, as I'm realizing this is all over my head. I want to unroot my phone...can anyone direct me on how to do this?

nothandledwell27

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
So, I'm shifting gears, as I'm realizing this is all over my head. I want to unroot my phone...can anyone direct me on how to do this?

For the first time in 24 hours, I don't feel like a complete technological moron. My phone's rooting days are over courtesy of the link below:
http://www.lockermike.com/how-tos/android-how-tos/htc/htc-one-x/how-to-unroot-a-rooted-htc-one-x/

It was easy to use (even I could figure it out). My HOX is still unlocked, however, for the next time I decide to "get crazy" and tamper with my frustratingly wonderful phone. Any thoughts on whether or not I should keep it unlocked?

Huskx

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
So, I glanced over the thread and read quite a few of the posts, but I still have some questions.

(okay, so I've done plenty of research on the pros / cons of rooting, and all that jazz :D - I really just want to remove bloatware, underclock a bit to save on battery life, and maybe some UI mods, nothing major for now - I've also looked up and read how the Motorola and Verizon terms and conditions work with rooting, and I just have some basic questions)

1. Is there any way to do FULL backups of my Droid Razr, like images, without rooting? If so, can you point me in that direction?
2. What root apps would you recommend to use to make image backups (I'm sure theres a few, if so, what's the best?)
3. What is FastBoot, and how can it help me unroot if I need to get my phone repaired?
4. What is really at risk for Rooting, if you root and botch it up and solidly brick it, then they really can't prove that you caused it, and will have to replace it, since it could have bricked any number of reasons, and they HAVE to prove it was your fault to not replace it, and that takes time. and if you don't brick it, you can just un-root and try again, right? (I'm not too worried about the warranty, since you can't "Void" the whole thing anyway, thanks to the MM act)
5. How would I go about saving all my music / photos etc before rooting? - just throw them on my SD card?
6. just thought of another - I can keep my stock ICS os right? I just want to make some mods to the UI, I assume that I don't need a whole new rom for that?
7. Apps will still update as normal, correct?
8. Last question - What are some of the "starter" or "basic must haves" for apps / whatnot once you root.

jmerridew124

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
So I just got a Galaxy Media Player and it's running Android 2.3.6

I've been told that rooting an Android device can allow you to partition more RAM. Is there truth to this? The ideal would be I could root my device, use a chunk of my MicroSD card for RAM, (I'd prefer 1-2GB) and "unroot" it. I want to make one change to the device and not root it again. Is this possible, and how can I do it safely? I'm still too new to Android and I'm worried about malware.

PATTY PERRY

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
hi,i was wondering if you can answer a question for me ? i have a android cell phone,actually its a marque from boost mobile,i really would love to get hot spot on it,so i would need to have 4 g right? ok so if i root my phone,will i be able to get 4 gs on it through some application? i hope,cause i payed almost 3 hundred dollars for my cell phone and i dont want to buy another one,i like this one very much,i also want to prove my husband wrong,please tell me i can? lol i also have a 32 gig sd card in my phone,additional 100 dollars ;( lolohh and its an android marque 3 g ,please reply asap? thanks again for your time ...........................patty

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
hi,i was wondering if you can answer a question for me ? i have a android cell phone,actually its a marque from boost mobile,i really would love to get hot spot on it,so i would need to have 4 g right? ok so if i root my phone,will i be able to get 4 gs on it through some application? i hope,cause i payed almost 3 hundred dollars for my cell phone and i dont want to buy another one,i like this one very much,i also want to prove my husband wrong,please tell me i can? lol i also have a 32 gig sd card in my phone,additional 100 dollars ;( lolohh and its an android marque 3 g ,please reply asap? thanks again for your time ...........................patty

You can root and use wifi tether on 3g signal but rooting will not help you get a 4g signal as this is a hardware limitation, just wasnt designed for 4g.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

PATTY PERRY

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
hi,i hope you wont mind me asking you this question,i asked this same one a few times but no response ,maybe i put it in the wrong place idk ;\ ok well i have an andriod marque from boost mobile,i want to make it a hot spot,is that possible? its a 3 g marque,i understand that i need it to be 4gs right? for it to be a hot spot? please let me know? thanks alot for your time ;)....patty

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
hi,i hope you wont mind me asking you this question,i asked this same one a few times but no response ,maybe i put it in the wrong place idk ;\ ok well i have an andriod marque from boost mobile,i want to make it a hot spot,is that possible? its a 3 g marque,i understand that i need it to be 4gs right? for it to be a hot spot? please let me know? thanks alot for your time ;)....patty

I answered your question above.

PATTY PERRY

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
hi again,thanks,im sorry but i thought i needed 4g to get a hotspot added to my phone,so is it possible to tether and get a hotspot or no?im not good with electronic stuff,but i really wanted to make my cell a hotspot so when i go out,my daughter can use her ipod,you know? is it possible? thanks agin for your time,i appreciate it very much ; )

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
hi again,thanks,im sorry but i thought i needed 4g to get a hotspot added to my phone,so is it possible to tether and get a hotspot or no?im not good with electronic stuff,but i really wanted to make my cell a hotspot so when i go out,my daughter can use her ipod,you know? is it possible? thanks agin for your time,i appreciate it very much ; )

Yes its possible to use it as a hotspot here is a thread about it http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...nyone-w-marquee-tried-wifi-tethering-yet.html