Rooting FAQ's (please post all related questions and concerns about rooting in here)

Big_W_

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Newbie Rooting

I saw the post on one click rooting...far from one click if you've never done this. Anyway, followed the steps downloaded sdk, updated java, downloaded all versions of froyo...moved the hack to tools. Blah...Blah...the instructions never mentioned unmounting the sd card. Do I need to do this before proceeding? Do you have any other tips or advice?

A convinced newbie

chuklm3

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Help

im still having problems with the rooting..used SDK still no luck..when i create the folder on the desktop am i supposed to drag the folder to the phone once i plug it in? confused..

SamOled

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Rooting without wiping?

I have a stock Nexus One, and I want to back up ShapeWriter (the keyboard app (hey, stop laughing at me!)). ShapeWriter happens to be a private app, though, so my understanding is that I can't back it up without root access. But from the rooting articles and threads I've read, my understanding is also that rooting the phone involves unlocking the bootloader, which wipes everything off the phone. Since ShapeWriter isn't on the market anymore, I can't just download it again afterward.

I've found the following ways to root the Nexus One without unlocking the bootloader:
[Tutorial] Root FRF91/FRF85B/FRF83/FRF72 (T-Mo/AT&T) Without Unlocking (100% Working) - xda-developers
[Tutorial] Root Without Unlocking (Alternative way for all ROMs Vodafone,Korean,US) - xda-developers
But since these don't seem to be "traditional" ways to root and I haven't found as much info about what they do, I wanted to double-check with you knowledgeable folks whether they or any other methods will let me back up ShapeWriter. Thanks in advance!

Mr Pandroid

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
What I'm currently wondering about rooting: What are all the commands to remove apps that aren't needed if I need commands? What things are safe to remove/not remove? Are there custom icon/theme sets? And lastly, I'd be doing it to the Devour. Are there any custom roms or anything like that for it?

bksal

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Nexus S - Rooting!

Hi guys,

I?m new to android phone; I have a question ?I know it may be a silly question?

I?ve heard and read about ?Rooting Nexus S? first thanks for the info provided here, really it explains everything? thank you ?Brett?

I just want to know how and what is the best way to Root Nexus S?! what I mean best tools and guide...

Appreciate your help,

Thanks in advanced,

BK
Nexus S (Android v2.3.2)

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Your best bet (from my experience with my DInc) is to use unrevoked to root.

The one click root apps will not give you permanent root.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

allyn274

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the helpful posts here.

I have a myTouch 4G. Is it worth rooting JUST to remove some of the stock apps (Amazon MP3, etc.)? Is there any benefit to be gained from doing that if I have no other reason that I want to root right now?

blackhawk7188

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I am new to Android but I would like to root my Sprint Samsung Intercept. I had a Palm Pre and moved over to Android. I used to have my Palm Pre overclocked A1GHz using the UberKernel on WebOS, I wish to overclock my Intercept as it seems to run slow at times and I'm sure I can get more out of it. I am running FroYo 2.2 from Sprint stock. Any suggestions on how to root it, and overclock it would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I have a stock Nexus One, and I want to back up ShapeWriter (the keyboard app (hey, stop laughing at me!)). ShapeWriter happens to be a private app, though, so my understanding is that I can't back it up without root access. But from the rooting articles and threads I've read, my understanding is also that rooting the phone involves unlocking the bootloader, which wipes everything off the phone. Since ShapeWriter isn't on the market anymore, I can't just download it again afterward.

I've found the following ways to root the Nexus One without unlocking the bootloader:
[Tutorial] Root FRF91/FRF85B/FRF83/FRF72 (T-Mo/AT&T) Without Unlocking (100% Working) - xda-developers
[Tutorial] Root Without Unlocking (Alternative way for all ROMs Vodafone,Korean,US) - xda-developers
But since these don't seem to be "traditional" ways to root and I haven't found as much info about what they do, I wanted to double-check with you knowledgeable folks whether they or any other methods will let me back up ShapeWriter. Thanks in advance!

That's a great question. When it comes to backing up apps that are not in the market when you aren't rooted there is a solution. What you need to do is go to the market and download the application "Astro" which is a file manager. Once that is installed open it up and press the menu button on your phone. Next select 'tools' and finally 'application manager/backup'. From here you just need to select the app you want to back up and save it to your sd card. The only problem is it will not save you saved stuff within the app so it will be like starting from the beginning.

Now when you are finished rooting all you have to do is go to the market, download astro again and then open up and restore the application backup from your sd card

vazquezye

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I want to root my facinate, but Im so lost! I downloded the driver, but I don't know what else to do. I also put the debbuging on my cell. Now what? What kind of stuff I am supposed to save and how? Can you please tell me from the first step how to root my samsung facinate? Hope some one can help me. Thanks in advance!!!

SamOled

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
That's a great question. When it comes to backing up apps that are not in the market when you aren't rooted there is a solution. What you need to do is go to the market and download the application "Astro" which is a file manager. Once that is installed open it up and press the menu button on your phone. Next select 'tools' and finally 'application manager/backup'. From here you just need to select the app you want to back up and save it to your sd card.

Hi Brett, and thanks for the reply! I've been using Astro and religiously backing up after every app update---there are a few scary stories of app updates that break! But some apps, including ShapeWriter, show up in Astro as "private" and can't be selected to be backed up. I think I read in one of the rooting posts/articles that private apps are installed to a different, protected directory that you can't manually access without root. If that's the case, that's what leads to my dilemma of "can't backup without root, can't root without wipe."

I'll probably just go ahead and try one of the tutorials for rooting without unlocking the bootloader. In the end, if I have to wipe my phone, so be it. I think I want to root my phone even if I can't back up ShapeWriter. I'll let everyone know what I find out.

SamOled

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I am new to Android and was looking to rooting my Huawei U8150 Ideos. Any help I can get i will really appreciate.
Thanks.

Did you try z4root?

Download HERE
put it on your sdcard
then get astro manager from the market
then use astro to install it
after that open z4root and hit permanent
then just wait
after its done reboot and download the superuser app from the market

Tobii1

Banned
Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
how about Samsung Galaxy S I9003

hi. i've seen a lot of rooting for the Samsung Galaxy S I9000. are they same as the I9003?

also when your phone says Firmware version, is that the Android version?

thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol