Since purchasing my first Android phone (since Gingerbread 2.2) I've always had a problem with the stock calendar. I can't and never could create a reminder/appointment on my calender for every two weeks. I have researched this on the web numerous times with each iteration of the Android OS. And even now on my latest phone (Ice Cream Sandwitch 4.2), I still cannot completed this function.

Oh sure, there are work-arounds. Sync with Google calendar, but it requires that you have a Google account and a phone that handles the capability. Create 2 monthly reminders, but some months throw that completely off. Download a new calendar app that works better, great but what if your phone came with a bunch of bloat-ware that is taking up most of your memory and you've already downloaded a bunch of apps and don't have the space, not to mention space for updates and automatic downloads.

I have seen the same questions posted in various forums time and time again. "How can I make an appointment for every two weeks?" "How can I set a custom recurring reminder?". My question is simple, "Why haven't the developers of the Android OS fixed the default Calendar instead of making users jump through hoops to get what they need?"

The ability to glance at the Calendar on my phone to plan whether I can do something (like buy my next Android phone) at later date to me seems like a crucial feature that the current iterations of Android are sorely missing. Adding a feature to create/add a custom recurring reminders doesn't seem like it would be beyond their ability since its in so many other Calendars. So obviously its not rocket science. Even if its just an add-in, plug-in or script that manually adds a Payday reminder every two weeks (or whatever) for you for the next year, I believe that it is possible and would greatly benefit the Android community as a whole. I would write it myself if I were a programmer but seeing as I am not, I would like to implore someone, whether it be a Google/Android staff programmer or some kid who can write Android script, anybody; fix or write a program to add functionality to the stock Calendar.
    09-13-2013 09:31 AM
    Since purchasing my first Android phone (since Gingerbread 2.2) I've always had a problem with the stock calendar. I can't and never could create a reminder/appointment on my calender for every two weeks. I have researched this on the web numerous times with each iteration of the Android OS. And even now on my latest phone (Ice Cream Sandwitch 4.2), I still cannot completed this function.

Oh sure, there are work-arounds. Sync with Google calendar, but it requires that you have a Google account and a phone that handles the capability. Create 2 monthly reminders, but some months throw that completely off. Download a new calendar app that works better, great but what if your phone came with a bunch of bloat-ware that is taking up most of your memory and you've already downloaded a bunch of apps and don't have the space, not to mention space for updates and automatic downloads.

I have seen the same questions posted in various forums time and time again. "How can I make an appointment for every two weeks?" "How can I set a custom recurring reminder?". My question is simple, "Why haven't the developers of the Android OS fixed the default Calendar instead of making users jump through hoops to get what they need?"

The ability to glance at the Calendar on my phone to plan whether I can do something (like buy my next Android phone) at later date to me seems like a crucial feature that the current iterations of Android are sorely missing. Adding a feature to create/add a custom recurring reminders doesn't seem like it would be beyond their ability since its in so many other Calendars. So obviously its not rocket science. Even if its just an add-in, plug-in or script that manually adds a Payday reminder every two weeks (or whatever) for you for the next year, I believe that it is possible and would greatly benefit the Android community as a whole. I would write it myself if I were a programmer but seeing as I am not, I would like to implore someone, whether it be a Google/Android staff programmer or some kid who can write Android script, anybody; fix or write a program to add functionality to the stock Calendar.
    Welcome to the forums!
    I have pretty much given up on stock calendars. They all have flaws that the OEM never seems to fix. Samsung's insists you need to add every event to the Samsung calendar, not Google, and the default calendar can't be changed. I just use Google's calendar.
    09-13-2013 10:21 AM