(4.26 Update) Android 3.0

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok, there have been many of you who have seen this or have been following this for some time now, maybe on XDA or LinuxForums or where ever else.

This is version 3.0 of my Android Desktop project. I've been working on this since March of 2013, and it has come quite a very long way in a year, I've been excited and well immersed in this. I am also currently looking for coders, so anyone is welcome.

You can check out the online interactive demo. It is not touch friendly, only mouse friendly. There are many hidden fun things here, so search everywhere.
http://invis.io/PTS9JME9

Also be sure to check out the Google+ group and stay updated.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/105040304025706082223

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will post the recent 3.0 material I've finished so you can check it out, leave feedback etc.

Lock Screen

Desktop

Desktop page 2

Desktop Page 3

Quick bar

Folder (There is a black version as well)

Manage Screens

Multitask Window

Notifications

Power Button

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Android Desktop OS 2.0

Thanks very much Golf for your interest, really. I am working to make this very interactive for people to try, and I want everyone to try it and know about it.

I can't wait to see the day this is made a reality.

Is it a touch interface?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Well right now, I have no coded version, it is only built in a browser interface website. It is the best i can do right now.

Maybe I phrased it wrong, and possibly misunderstanding.

Assuming everything comes to fruition, could it replace Windows as the OS on my laptop? If so, is it a touch interface like on tablets or a hardware interface for like a mouse/trackball?

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Maybe I phrased it wrong, and possibly misunderstanding.

Assuming everything comes to fruition, could it replace Windows as the OS on my laptop? If so, is it a touch interface like on tablets or a hardware interface for like a mouse/trackball?

Oh of course I would like for it to be touch based as well. We are in an age where everything will be touch. :D

Posted via Android Central App

JohnathanC

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

It's very possible, considering Android used the Linux kernel to do all it's work. So yeah, you pretty much have to code up an interface that can be run on top of the Davik virtual machine. That can be done in Java, and that's a pretty easy language to pick up. The interface you have looks pretty nice, good work bro :)

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

It's very possible, considering Android used the Linux kernel to do all it's work. So yeah, you pretty much have to code up an interface that can be run on top of the Davik virtual machine. That can be done in Java, and that's a pretty easy language to pick up. The interface you have looks pretty nice, good work bro :)
Much appreciated really. I am trying to learn Java, it is just taking a while, between work and android and the wife, time is small, which is why I am looking for a team for sure. I may approach some of those who have made launchers for android.

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Update for new screens.

Almost done with the folder, then onto the main settings.

Widgets
kmh4.jpg

Videos
ikb6.jpg

Pictures
lh99.jpg

Music
55cv.jpg

Internal Phone Storage
4of0.jpg

Documents
7vx8.jpg

Bluray Drive
dpxu.jpg

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: [11.16 Update] Android Desktop OS 2.0

Well isn't this interesting... I'm going to follow this thread. I would love to see more of this.

Sent from the Resistance Hidey Hole in the Taco Nation, while using Tapatalk 4 on an HTC One.

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Well isn't this interesting... I'm going to follow this thread. I would love to see more of this.

Sent from the Resistance Hidey Hole in the Taco Nation, while using Tapatalk 4 on an HTC One.
Taco, much appreciated really. Glad you found it interesting. Once I find some time away from work and what not, I have to do a bit more redesigning and then see what else I can add into this to make this more interesting.

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Update to the settings and you can now view the pc properties.

It says 4.4D because the D stands for desktop. And the kitkat is in the right section to remind you what version you have.

cw6e.jpg

vfvp.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Visit site

This looks like an amazing idea, I'd imagine app suport may be an issue, but that can be overcome! If you need any novice devs to develop apps, or optimize open-source ones let me know, I'd be more than happy to help!

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: [11.22 Update] Android Desktop OS 2.0

I am a programmer/developer (web,google,android,Linux,windows) also can engineer set architectures and hardware builds of various devices, or just plain build/assemble any device. I have a few questions. What is you're motivation behind this project? Are you looking to just basically run android as a standalone OS on a PC/laptop with you're own UI design? Are you motivated because of the hardware components in a pc? The idea of running android on a much more powerful system like a pc? Which would allow android to run/execute more powerful applications? Allowing android enthusiast's or users to do more with android? Like run a powerful program like say Photoshop or pro tools (music creation software) with mass storage as well? The reason I am asking all these questions is this, Android is based from the Linux kernel, and was created to run specifically on mobile devices (phones, tablet computers) android runs best on specific set architecture. Android is one of several modified builds based on the linux. If you just want to run android on a PC/laptop computer with you're visual design/layout/interface basically a launcher designed by you, then there are ways to run android on a PC. A programmer can compile your design as a launcher apk. That will run off virtual box or checkout project-x86. So far what you have is a launcher or a front end interface that you want to run on android, example of a front end interface would be Samsung's touchwiz, its not stock android, it is Samsung's modification/UI running on the front end. All in all, android only runs on a specific set architecture and will not run stable or at all completely by itself just on the hardware alone from a traditional PC, android would need to run on a virtual machine. I hope you find some of this helpful. After seeing your thread, I noticed you had the design down, and were looking for a programmer, but I didn't see anything about hardware! And If you really want to make a go of something like android desktop, I would create that exactly, starting with the best android compatible hardware components then booting the Android OS onto the hardware, then implementing you're front end interface on top, then you have a fully functioning android pc/laptop running better then any traditional PC would run Android. But keep in mind... Android was specifically engineered for mobile devices. This is very technical stuff, where talking about custom Roms, building custom kernals and so on. Hardware must be involved in the equation if you really want this idea to work how I think you do. I wasn't sure if you knew this has been done before or not? As in android OS running on a desktop And you were just designing you're own version. If that is the case then this entire post is irrelevant.

Serilei

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

I am a programmer/developer (web,google,android,Linux,windows) also can engineer set architectures and hardware builds of various devices, or just plain build/assemble any device. I have a few questions. What is you're motivation behind this project? Are you looking to just basically run android as a standalone OS on a PC/laptop with you're own UI design? Are you motivated because of the hardware components in a pc? The idea of running android on a much more powerful system like a pc? Which would allow android to run/execute more powerful applications? Allowing android enthusiast's or users to do more with android? Like run a powerful program like say Photoshop or pro tools (music creation software) with mass storage as well? The reason I am asking all these questions is this, Android is based from the Linux kernel, and was created to run specifically on mobile devices (phones, tablet computers) android runs best on specific set architecture. Android is one of several modified builds based on the linux. If you just want to run android on a PC/laptop computer with you're visual design/layout/interface basically a launcher designed by you, then there are ways to run android on a PC. A programmer can compile your design as a launcher apk. That will run off virtual box or checkout project-x86. So far what you have is a launcher or a front end interface that you want to run on android, example of a front end interface would be Samsung's touchwiz, its not stock android, it is Samsung's modification/UI running on the front end. All in all, android only runs on a specific set architecture and will not run stable or at all completely by itself just on the hardware alone from a traditional PC, android would need to run on a virtual machine. I hope you find some of this helpful. After seeing your thread, I noticed you had the design down, and were looking for a programmer, but I didn't see anything about hardware! And If you really want to make a go of something like android desktop, I would create that exactly, starting with the best android compatible hardware components then booting the Android OS onto the hardware, then implementing you're front end interface on top, then you have a fully functioning android pc/laptop running better then any traditional PC would run Android. But keep in mind... Android was specifically engineered for mobile devices. This is very technical stuff, where talking about custom Roms, building custom kernals and so on. Hardware must be involved in the equation if you really want this idea to work how I think you do. I wasn't sure if you knew this has been done before or not? As in android OS running on a desktop And you were just designing you're own version. If that is the case then this entire post is irrelevant.
I pretty much want Android to stand on its own on a PC on Intel hardware. I have been very interested in Android and I believe it could really create some competition in the market.

I know Intel has started on their own version, and the x86 version also, it seems they are doing this as a hobby, I want to do this for a career and build on it.

Its like why does Ubuntu, windows, and Mac get PC and phone counterparts but not Android?

I made a different UI because the PC version vs mobile all have different UI's, so I felt that Android should too. I was aiming to make it the base UI for everyone.

You know as well as I do that if this got off of the ground people would pick this up left and right as long as there is stability.

I know it can be run on PC, but I want a full fledged OS, not a modified version on PC. I know it will take time and lots of rewriting of code etc, but I believe its worth it in the long run.

If Cyanogen can make their OS and be a company, I know I could do the same.

Yeah its a long run of time, but I'm ready.

toddnbrown

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I must say, that UI you have designed looks incredible. You have real talent for sure. I keep seeing that there are PCs getting ready to be released that dual boot Android and Windows... So obviously this is possible to pull off. Good luck, and I'll volunteer myself right now to be a tester!

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

michael jordan5 said:
I apologize for posting from my other account which I didnt know existed.

Anyways, do you have any advice? I really believe in this project, a lot.

Last edited:

peterdroid

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Jason, this is really nice... may i suggest next points:
1. Make windows' borders rectangle
2. A bit smaller (or configurable) font size in windows
3. the popup on top-right - the black text on gray background (for emails) is almost invisible
but that's all minor, keep up the work and let us know when you'll have an official page for the OS :)

anon(7888417)

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

This looks stunning for being os 2.0 and not 4.0 but is this going to be a stand alone for pc? and if so what about for AMD CPU equip PC? And if I got this all wrong sorry but still looks very nice :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463