S3 I9300 noob rooting confirmation

The_Jelly

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys I'm new to the whole rooting, custom rom scene and I need some clarification on a few things. I've done a lot of research but because there are so many different methods it's become so confusing.

I followed a guide on Xda to root my s3 with clockworkmod it was a version 5 recovery. I then followed the steps to install cyanogenmod.
I got the dreaded status 7 error seen all over the net.

I researched further and found that my recovery is out dated and I need Cwm mod 6.0.4.4 for cyanogenmod 11 to install.

Now here's what I need clarification on:

1 What's the best way to flash Cwm 6.0.4.4 as it is a .Img file extension and cannot be done through odin? Is it rom manager/mobile odin or other? And if so could one point me to a link to follow as every link I seem to find has issues or does not work or sounds very risky.

2 is it necessary to flash a different kernel? Is there away to go back to stock kernel?

3 is it Necessary to flash a new baseband or modem? I don't really want to play with this as I'm worried I can not find the original baseband that comes with the stock phone. Anything software wise that involves south Africa is never supported or easy to find.

4. How do I solve the status 7 error? I am Aware of the update script method and the toggle verification method.

5. Is there a way to go back to stock should I flash a new kernel or baseband. I have the stock I9300 recovery and the official Samsung firmware from Sammobile and I have been flashing this to get back to stock unrooted state after a failed attempt on cm11 installation. Does this replace the kernel and baseband automatically?

6 any tips or personal guides someone could hep me with for rooting/flashing custom roms?

Please guys I know these questions have been asked a million times and I have swear I have read every answer but it's just for clarity or Confirmation that I'm going about it the correct way. Number 1 being my biggest issue at the moment. Can someone please shed some light on the matter.

Thanks in advanced!

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk