Hi,

I don't really know a whole lot about how Android operates beneath the surface but I have seen that the Garmin Monterra is a pricey new Android based GPS unit.

I imagine the Garmin unit makes use of more powerful GPS hardware, but is their any possibility that an old Android phone could run a ROM of the Garmin Monterra unit?

The Garmin unit sells for $649.99 and I have an old Samsung Galaxy S3 I would love to repurpose if possible. I am willing to bet the S3 is over spec'd for the task, with exception to theGPS end of things.

Any insight to this? I know there are map apps out there but I think this would be cool.
    04-01-2015 07:38 AM
    Hi,

I don't really know a whole lot about how Android operates beneath the surface but I have seen that the Garmin Monterra is a pricey new Android based GPS unit.

I imagine the Garmin unit makes use of more powerful GPS hardware, but is their any possibility that an old Android phone could run a ROM of the Garmin Monterra unit?

The Garmin unit sells for $649.99 and I have an old Samsung Galaxy S3 I would love to repurpose if possible. I am willing to bet the S3 is over spec'd for the task, with exception to theGPS end of things.

Any insight to this? I know there are map apps out there but I think this would be cool.
    It would be cool but unfortunately that software was developed for that specific hardware. Porting it to the S3 would probably be pretty hard.
    04-01-2015 10:42 AM
    I figured as much, but wasn't sure how hardware specific it would need to be.
    04-01-2015 12:41 PM
    I figured as much, but wasn't sure how hardware specific it would need to be.
    It can get pretty specific mainly when it comes to the kernal and how the processor works with the OS.
    04-01-2015 01:11 PM