How do I actually/manually root an Android device?

May 16, 2015
Visit site
how to actually/manually root an adroid device.

I'm looking for actual information on rooting android devices. I have tried searching how to root an android device, but all i find is install these things and press go, sorry if it doesn't work.
I'm trying to root my phone to monitor and understand it. So starting with don't worry how your phone works, i'll do it for you defeats what i am trying to do.
Understandably it's a big topic, i just need pointed in the right direction. Reading material, keywords i may have overlooked, anything.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: how to actually/manually root an adroid device.

You have to find a bug that gives you temporary root (an exploit). Once you do that you copy a file named su to your /system/bin folder. Now the phone is "open rooted" - any app (including viruses) that asks for root will get it. Then you install an app like SuperSU, to control which apps can get root (you tell it the first time and it remembers).

The trick is finding the exploit for your particular phone for your particular version of Android. That's why there isn't a one-click root out as soon as an update comes out.

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Re: how to actually/manually root an adroid device.

Wow, I was looking for information on getting rid of apps/getting access to files on my tablet and low and behold, I already asked (about phone). Thanks for the reply.

incompatible

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
I've been trying to do that too. There are various Android vulnerabilities around, and I know how to cross compile C code for Android, and transfer the executable to the phone, but unfortunately I can't find a place to run it that's writeable and not mounted with noexec. Perhaps I'd need to package it in an APK.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel