Rooting and backup question.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm new to the whole android thing so forgive me for my newb question, i did search, but couldn't find what i was looking for. So i just rooted my droid running 2.0.1, and i keep seeing everywhere that i should do a backup with nandroid. However, i can't seem to find nandroid anywhere, on top of that i was wondering, if the only thing i really care about are my contacts, which would reload when logging into my gmail account, do i really need to do a backup? Also, can i still go back to an unrooted 2.0.1 without root by simply doing the factory reset? thanks for all the help.

R

Roy Aguilera

Hi everyone, I'm new to the whole android thing so forgive me for my newb question, i did search, but couldn't find what i was looking for. So i just rooted my droid running 2.0.1, and i keep seeing everywhere that i should do a backup with nandroid. However, i can't seem to find nandroid anywhere, on top of that i was wondering, if the only thing i really care about are my contacts, which would reload when logging into my gmail account, do i really need to do a backup? Also, can i still go back to an unrooted 2.0.1 without root by simply doing the factory reset? thanks for all the help.

You need a nandroid back up if you load any custom roms. Factory reset alone will not unroot.

R

Roy Aguilera

so if i want to go to 2.1 i need nandroid, is what im guessing?

If you want to go 2.1 you should do a Nandroid back up. You can always go back without one but it will take your phone to the original state the phone came in. You will need to borrow a back up. If you do a Nandroid back up. When you reapply it, everything will be as it was before you went 2.1
You will not have to do a thing to your phone.
Think restore point on a PC.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
oh ok, well shoot. ill try and hunt down that nandroid thing, i have the roothelper stuff on my phone and ready to go, although cant figure out how to install the apk, but it would definitely be easier to just do my own backup

R

Roy Aguilera

You can get Droid Root Helper from the market its a phone app.
I think Droid Root Helper asks that you install the tools folders. First do that.
Then:
hit "Mount mtdblock4 System read/write"
hit "Install and chmod busybox..."
hit "Install and chmod flash_image."
hit "Flash 99.1b recovery...."
hit "Rename recovery-boot.."
Then "Unmount mtdblock4..."
Last "Sync"
(You have now flashed the latest SPRecovery available through DRH)
Now hit "Reboot Recovery"
It will take you to the recovery image.

Now make a nandroid back up.
Go to "backup/restore"
select it with the camera button
Now select "Simple Nandroid backup"
(This will make a back up of your system, incase you do not like the Browser or want to go back if something goes wrong)
Let it finish makng the back up.
Now hit the power button (this will take you back) select "reboot system now".
Once it reboots.
Connect to your pc and open up the sd card by mounting.
Look for the Nandroid folder and move it to a safe place in your computer.
This should cover everything.

Last edited:

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
well i downloaded droidroothelper.apk and droidroothelper. then i extracted both and copied the tools folder and the apk to my sd card. but it wont let me install apk? there's no thread link there but thank you for all your help, i appreciate it a lot

R

Roy Aguilera

well i downloaded droidroothelper.apk and droidroothelper. then i extracted both and copied the tools folder and the apk to my sd card. but it wont let me install apk? there's no thread link there but thank you for all your help, i appreciate it a lot

So you have Tools already.
Now delete both of those from your SD card.
Download Droid Root Helper from the Market.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
oh sweet, now i know what's going on. this looks like all the pictures i'm looking at haha. thanks again dude, you're awesome.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463