How to Get Started Developing Android Apps

kennethmsmith

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Can some one put together a list of steps an absolute beginner would need to follow to learn how to develop apps for Android phones? For example. something like .. "Step 1. - Learn the basics of programming in Java, Step 2. - download the Android SDK, etc. etc. " but maybe with a bit more detail of course. I want to learn to develop for Android, but I'm not really sure where to start. I have only had a couple of classes in programming (C++ from back in the day), and I'm not sure what the best path is to becoming a published android app developer.:confused:

kennethmsmith

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok.. well I'll kick this one off. First of all, I'm no expert, so if anyone finds errors in what I post, please update / correct me.

I'll just tell you what I have learned and applied so far.

Step 1.) I downloaded and installed the latest Java Development Kit from Sun.
Step 2.) I downloaded the Eclipse IDE and extracted it
Step 3.) I downloaded the Android SDK and extracted it
Step 4.) I followed some steps I found in a good tutorial on youtube (search for hello android in eclipse) and made sure that I had everything installed correctly.

Now I think I need learn some basics of Java programming and learn more about android app development at android.com.

If anyone has a good idea of where to go from here, jump in. Thanks

pknyo

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Search "Tim layton`s tech tips", and "introduction to java programming". Introduction to Programming Using Java, Fifth Edition, is available for free online, and Tim Layton has a good introduction to android development.

chdtpn

Apr 7, 2010
www.chaad.net
YouTube has one of the best videos around for starting android development.

What video is that? lol

I'm glad that you asked this question because I was wondering about this too. Too devs:

1. How hard is it to get your app approved to get on the market?

2. How can you kno it works on different phones?

Last edited:

BriMcFly88

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
It's been a few days and I am starting to tackle this same issue - any progress? I have most necessary files downloaded but I'm getting an error in eclipse. I have general knowledge in coding but was especially good in mIRC/VB/php/MySql. My experience in C is limited but I pick up fast. I want to take a scrolling rpg video game I made in VB and port it to C. Shouldn't be too hard because a game is just images animated, so they look harder than they really are. What were some of the good youtube videos?

chdtpn

Apr 7, 2010
www.chaad.net
I would love to hook up with someone and do a collab on an app. I've always wanted to do a Twitter app that is similar to Tweetie or TweetDeck for the Android. I'm also ok with photoshop and could do the images if anyone really was interested in doing a collab.

If you want to check out my art CLICK HERE.

Within the next few days I will be opening a website too if my said partner didn't know or have the time to do that either.

FurRelKT

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok.. well I'll kick this one off. First of all, I'm no expert, so if anyone finds errors in what I post, please update / correct me.

I'll just tell you what I have learned and applied so far.

Step 1.) I downloaded and installed the latest Java Development Kit from Sun.
Step 2.) I downloaded the Eclipse IDE and extracted it
Step 3.) I downloaded the Android SDK and extracted it
Step 4.) I followed some steps I found in a good tutorial on youtube (search for hello android in eclipse) and made sure that I had everything installed correctly.

Now I think I need learn some basics of Java programming and learn more about android app development at android.com.

If anyone has a good idea of where to go from here, jump in. Thanks
Thank you, this is a great start for ppl as well as taking a look at some YouTube videos.

youlege

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I too have been wanting to learn some programming. I'm going to check out "Introduction to Programming Using Java" are there any other books I should look for? I really don't have any programming experience so I need to start at the beginning. I'm in the same boat as Kennethmsmith.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance