Sony SmartBand Talk

Active55

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
First: If this is posted in the wrong location, please move it. I can't find a forum for Sony SmartBand Talk devices. The wearable forums only lists one Sony device.

I like the style, size and weight of the Sony SmartBand Talk for notification use. Don't really care about the claimed "fitness" features. All I want to use it for is call screening, screening/viewing text messages and the occasional incoming call on my wrist. This light small-ish wrist device seems to shine for these minimal uses with decent battery life due to the E-Ink screen and I actually like buttons.

My question relates to its' functionality with Android operating systems lower than V4.4? My current phone is an Ice Cream Sandwich model that can be upgraded to Jelly Bean, but not KitKat. Will the limited functions I'd like to use still work via Bluetooth with Android V4 prior to V4.4 OS systems?

I found this in my own research:
"SmartBand SWR30 app is optimized for Sony Xperia™ smartphones running Android 4.4 or later. Functionality may not be optimal when using SmartBand SWR30 with other smartphones."

I really want to buy and use this wearable device now, before putting out the expense to upgrade my phone if possible. Thx.

Active55

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Anybody? Hasn't anyone tried the Sony SmartBand Talk yet?

Here's a honest review of the device.

This is the main feature I am after:

"By default, you'll get notifications to the band, much the same as you'd see in the notifications bar of your phone or tablet. You just get that, though: notifications. Don't expect to read through your emails, even the ones the notification refers to. Only the first bits of information are available.
Of course, a lot of the time that's exactly what you'd want on a device like this. You get to know who your emails and texts are from, a pretty good indication of whether you'll want to check them out on your phone or not."

The passthrough alarm feature might be useable too:

"The alarm function feels a bit more suited to the band. A vibrate motor and the little speaker let the SmartBand Talk piggy-back off the alarm settings of your phone to wake you up. Being woken-up from your wrist takes some getting used to, but it'll make the Talk the full 24/7 package once sleep tracking has been implemented.
There are other features available, but you need to add them in the SmartBand Talk app. It's available for just about all Android 4.4 phones, not just Sony ones."

That last paragraph gives me hope that it will work with non-Sony phones, but it would be nice to know if it will at least do the simiple notification features with an Adroid phone running a version prior to V4.4???

I'm probably going to give this a try even if no one can chime in. The Sony site is offering a $100 cash back on a Sony Capital One charge card with 5x Sony Points, so the actual cost drops to $70 if you don't mind taking on another credit card. That 5x Sony Points might come in hand for a new Sony Xperia Z4 Music to pair this with once it comes out too! :)

Muraenidae

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm just curious if it ended up working for you? I have one but I have an Xperia Z3v and it works really well for me. The sleep tracking seems a bit patchy and you have to use the default alarm for the vibrating alarm that waits for you to be sleeping lightly. I use a third party app normally, but tried it once and it scared the crap out of me lol! Those are my only complaints, overall I'm very happy with it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22