Anyone interested in the Sony Xperia 1 III? (US)?

rikken

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm keeping my N20U for work, so want a complete departure from Samsung for a bit.

Long story short - ordered a mi 11 Ultra from China. Took 12 days to come. In those 12 days discovered from all those in UK that received before me all the CN ROM bugs. Now, I knew what I was getting into with the CN ROM. But unfortunately both Android Auto and Carrier Aggregation are broken on it. With no fix in sight.
So , sold it without even opening it to a work colleague.

To that end, I know have a UK OppoFind X3 Pro enroute to try.

Which might well get sold when I can get a Sony 1 iii. .
Too bad about the Xiaomi. I got the S21U yesterday and find it to be a step above my Note. Love the HW, camera also better at 10 x zoom, superwide, night and macro. Will keep it until the Xperia is available.

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Too bad about the Xiaomi. I got the S21U yesterday and find it to be a step above my Note. Love the HW, camera also better at 10 x zoom, superwide, night and macro. Will keep it until the Xperia is available.
Yip. Had a play with the S21U and it's a beast.
Actually looking forward to trying a non oneui device for a bit.
If I didn't have the note I would have went for for the 21.

rikken

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Yip. Had a play with the S21U and it's a beast.
Actually looking forward to trying a non oneui device for a bit.
If I didn't have the note I would have went for for the 21.
No Oppo's available here. Every other phone I could get would be a downgrade, don't want that. Hope that phone works well for you

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
No Oppo's available here. Every other phone I could get would be a downgrade, don't want that. Hope that phone works well for you
Haha. For sure.
Really only s21U / N20U , Xiaomi 11U / X3 Pro / Sony 1 iii that interest me. The Samsung's are definitely the most complete out the bunch. But the quirks with the rest are where the fun is.
Especially with having exynos here.

Looking forward to pushing the cameras on the X3 Pro. Will get a new personal note whenever the next one is out.
My 1note ready to be wiped and set up as a corporate device.....

TeknoBlast

May 20, 2016
Visit site
Currently using a Pixel 4XL, which has been great, but looking for the latest and greatest 5G phone.

Even though I was considering the Note 20 Ultra or Galaxy 21 Ultra as my first 5G phone, I'm really not a fan of the Samsung's UI. Google uses their stock UI and I pretty much enjoy that for it's simplicity. I've looked into other Sony phones in the past and it seems Sony also uses the stock Android UI, not some bloated Sony custom UI.

Based on the Russian video, looks like Sony will continue to use the stock Android UI. Hope this is true.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely agree with you. If we must pay a lot, let's get what we pay for. Samsung ditched the 3.5mm jack, and SD card support so the prices should have gone down. Not so. By the way, the iii also supports 24/192 high resolution music files.

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
Sony Xperia 10 iii available for pre-order starting yesterday in EU ahead of schedule. I hope this is a good indication of early release of 1 iii and 5 iii.

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
You definitely going for it ?

Is hard to move out of note series (with it since Note 2) but am really impressed with Sony Xperia 1 iii. Taking kids photos is very difficult and had to carry my Sony A7 always when going out. I tried Sony 1 ii for 15 days after 1 iii is announced and am very impressed. Except in low light this phone is awesome in camera department. Also, phone is very stable and watching Netflix is impressive. With all the updates in 1 iii, am sure it will be great. Am mostly for it. Attaching some kids action shots taken with Xperia 1 ii. It is very consistent capturing the moments.

Attachments

• DSC_0010_BURST20210502184140373_resized.jpg
    DSC_0010_BURST20210502184140373_resized.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 65

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Is hard to move out of note series (with it since Note 2) but am really impressed with Sony Xperia 1 iii. Taking kids photos is very difficult and had to carry my Sony A7 always when going out. I tried Sony 1 ii for 15 days after 1 iii is announced and am very impressed. Except in low light this phone is awesome in camera department. Also, phone is very stable and watching Netflix is impressive. With all the updates in 1 iii, am sure it will be great. Am mostly for it. Attaching some kids action shots taken with Xperia 1 ii. It is very consistent capturing the moments.
Very nice , yeah i hear you on not wanting get out of the Note series.

Last edited:

Ziich47

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I have been interested in the Xperia 1 devices for a while but this one finally seems like the complete package. Last year's offering had a horrible haptic motor and mushy buttons. Based on the limited videos I have seen there are reports that the haptic sensor is much improved. It is a striking device and in the sea of Samsungs and iPhones that everyone has, this stands out IMO. I just wish the US will get more than the black one

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
B&H updated the availability to be 1st of July instead of end of August. That's encouraging but Pixel 6 rumors are really great to sway away too 😃

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I think the Xperia 1 III will be my next Android phone just because it retains the microSD slot, it has an LED notification light, and I like the 21:9 aspect ratio.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
The 1 III was supposed to be released for Best Buy today for purchase (8.24). Yet, their website says sold out and has showed it as sold out for the last several weeks. No idea when I'll be able to purchase one from Best Buy. I would buy from Sony, but I want to trade-in my iPhone 12 Pro Max to get a huge chunk of $$$ off the price.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Ordered mine today from B&H Photo. Ordered my case and screen protector from Amazon. I would normally have ordered the phone from Amazon also but their shipping estimate for the phone was from between 2 weeks until infinity...or end of October whereas B&H have them IN STOCK and I should get it in 10 days at the latest, but I am betting it will be sooner! Here's hoping it isn't a turd like so many others nowadays!

darrinaltman

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Ordered mine today from B&H Photo. Ordered my case and screen protector from Amazon. I would normally have ordered the phone from Amazon also but their shipping estimate for the phone was from between 2 weeks until infinity...or end of October whereas B&H have them IN STOCK and I should get it in 10 days at the latest, but I am betting it will be sooner! Here's hoping it isn't a turd like so many others nowadays!
fwiw i love mine. also got it from b&h

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
It does look interesting, but not familiar with Sony's SW or aftermarket support at all. Kinda spot in between the Note 9 and Note 20 Standard that I have, now. My problem, sadly, is I've had miserable luck with Sony hardware over the years. Everything Sony I've owned failed prematurely, and that leaves a sour taste in my mouth.