Before you buy the 1iii, know this

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I was debating between the Sony 1iii, or the Samsung galaxy s21 ultra. After extensive reading about both devices, I pulled the trigger on the s21 ultra. Here are my reasons. First the Sony camera was suppose to be the crown jewel of the phone, but that doesn't seem to be the case according to multiple reviewers. Battery life, also wasn't great. And now, Sony jyst announced that the 1iii will only get the android 12 update. NOTHING BEYOND THAT. sorry, but at the price they're asking, it should be a few years future proof. I've had the s21 ultra for 2 weeks now and it is awesome.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I was debating between the Sony 1iii, or the Samsung galaxy s21 ultra. After extensive reading about both devices, I pulled the trigger on the s21 ultra. Here are my reasons. First the Sony camera was suppose to be the crown jewel of the phone, but that doesn't seem to be the case according to multiple reviewers. Battery life, also wasn't great. And now, Sony jyst announced that the 1iii will only get the android 12 update. NOTHING BEYOND THAT. sorry, but at the price they're asking, it should be a few years future proof. I've had the s21 ultra for 2 weeks now and it is awesome.
That is shocking. 1 update for £1200+ is just not good enough. If their phone is a failure then they will learn the errors of their ways. I would bail on the 1iii at that rate.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Sony makes phones? That's news to me lol. And an extremely expensive phone for one that most folks probably aren't even aware of :eek: And 1/3 the software support of a budget pixel. How do they make any money?

I was just joking, I was aware that sony made phones, but I've honestly never seen one in person anywhere, and never seen an ad for one, and have only heard they're over priced and under supported. They've never been anywhere near my radar as an actual purchase. Talk about a brand flying under the radar :eek: Someone in the phone division needs to develop a better understanding of advertising. I guess they're a very niche' device?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That is odd, because in the past, Sony was known for supporting their phones pretty well. Hopefully this isn't a sign that they're starting to pull back from the market, although that's been a possibility for years, it seems.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
In any business you need to spend money to make money. The Japanese people are very aware of this premise. Sony is a well known name world wide, and they have been for many years. I simply do not understand why they do not advertise their phones more than they do? I also do not understand why they announce their new phones 6 months before you can even get one! Seems very self destructive for sure. I have owned one Sony phone - the XZ Premium - and it was a good phone. The main problem I had was poor cell reception in buildings where other phones had no issues. That is why I sold it. Too bad, so sad.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
If you live in the states they were never popular here but Verizon sold a few prior to 2015. The UI felt similar to a playstation and they weren't very good phones.

There was a really cool one that opened up and had a game controller built into it.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok, follow up here. It seems that report on only 1 update for the 1iii that appeard the other day was incorrect. So i'm correcting it here. Sony now says it will recieve updates for 2 years. Better, but only half of what samsung will do.

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
Ok, follow up here. It seems that report on only 1 update for the 1iii that appeard the other day was incorrect. So i'm correcting it here. Sony now says it will recieve updates for 2 years. Better, but only half of what samsung will do.

Samsung 3 major OS updates with 1 additiona yearl security updates and Sony 2 major OS updates with 2 years of security updates. Not really half of what Samsung does but thanks for updating.

rikken

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Got mine a couple of days ago, very happy with my purchase. Also bought the MDR-1AM2. Sony can't be beaten for sound quality. Will recieve the WH-1000xm3 later. Also happy with the camera, more natural colors than with Samsung and less sharpening artifacts. Great phone overall.20210812_171712.jpg20210814_072703.jpg20210813_172843.jpg20210812_111026.jpg20210811_200657.jpg20210811_202420.jpg20210811_195525.jpg

darrinaltman

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
@rikken great short review and pics are terrific. especially the rose bud. just curious, where are you located? i'm wondering how you already have it. I never canceled my pre order like i thought i would and am excited to get it soon. i'm in the us and supposedly it will ship on the 24th.

rikken

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
@rikken great short review and pics are terrific. especially the rose bud. just curious, where are you located? i'm wondering how you already have it. I never canceled my pre order like i thought i would and am excited to get it soon. i'm in the us and supposedly it will ship on the 24th.
Tx. I am located in Norway. The phone was available on august 11 here

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
Back in the day, Sony/Ericsson phones were the bees' knees for music on your mobile. This was all pre-smartphone so I'm going back a bit. They also had GPS and 3G early in the game.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc