Any Questions?

CTalman

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I've had my Xperia 1 for almost a week now so I'll be happy to try and answer any questions people may have.

I know there's also a few others on here with Xperia 1's so I'm sure we can all help to answer any specific questions...

Aneres11

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Maybe some overall thoughts rather than answering questions?
I got mine yesterday so not had much time with it. But camera performance could be better IMO. It's also a little slow processing photos.

Portrait mode looks a bit on the poor side compared to competitors.

Battery life? Looks to be just ok for me but not even 24 hours useage yet.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Why are the cameras still not quite up to snuff despite Sony making a big deal of their joining of the camera and smartphone divisions?!

Aneres11

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Sony always make a deal of the camera every time, but in real world use it's never up to standard.
It's ok, don't get me wrong.
But it's slow to process images and there's always visible noise in the shots.
When you compare it to taking photos with a Pixel, it's night and day difference.

CTalman

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Maybe some overall thoughts rather than answering questions?
I got mine yesterday so not had much time with it. But camera performance could be better IMO. It's also a little slow processing photos.

Portrait mode looks a bit on the poor side compared to competitors.

Battery life? Looks to be just ok for me but not even 24 hours useage yet.

I'd agree with most of what you've written above.

I'm coming from a Huawei mate 20 pro by the way...

The battery life on the Xperia 1 is ok but not great (certainly not compared to Huawei). Gets me through the day though and can usually get around 4 - 5 SoT...just. I suppose that's about right for 3300 maH battery and a 4k screen. It's only been 6 days though so things might improve....

Charging times are good but again not as quick as the Huawei.

Screen is nice, looks sharp but it is a shame that you can't change the look of the screen, vivid, warm, cool etc etc.

Feel of the phone is good. I don't notice the phone being too big or anything, feels natural and I like the big screen. Makes my mate 20 pro feel podgy when I use it.

Speakers sound decent.

Audio quality to my BT headphones (not Sony ones yet as still waiting for those) is very good but I'm not sure I notice it being much better than other phones, not that that is a bad thing.

I like the os, seems to be quick and responsive. Near stock experience. Needs a dark mode though.

I'm really hoping the cameras get an update of sorts. Low light it seems to struggle. Best bet in all conditions is to go onto manual mode and put HDR on. It doesn't seem to be an option in standard modes.

Wide angle lens tends to have the fish eye effect more so than the Huawei.

Still getting used to it all. I do like it but I think they could've done some things better, but hopefully a firmware update can help sort the cameras??

Rog Mar

Jun 11, 2019
Visit site
I have just bought the phone on O2 in London UK,the phone is nice in the hand but can feel a bit cumbersome at some times,it would be nce if the speakers were a bit more punchy as they tend to sound a bit weak for a so called high end device,the fingerprint sensor could do with a functional feature like all of the other flagship phones ie being used to scroll or pulling down the notification shade,the fingerprint sensor is in the perfect place for such things.Photo's come out crisp & sharp and the audio experience via wired or bluetooth earphones are second to none.

eastroar

Mar 11, 2019
Visit site

The battery life on the Xperia 1 is ok but not great (certainly not compared to Huawei). Gets me through the day though and can usually get around 4 - 5 SoT...just. I suppose that's about right for 3300 maH battery and a 4k screen. It's only been 6 days though so things might improve....

Screen is nice, looks sharp but it is a shame that you can't change the look of the screen, vivid, warm, cool etc etc.

Feel of the phone is good. I don't notice the phone being too big or anything, feels natural and I like the big screen. Makes my mate 20 pro feel podgy when I use it.

Speakers sound decent.

Audio quality to my BT headphones (not Sony ones yet as still waiting for those) is very good but I'm not sure I notice it being much better than other phones, not that that is a bad thing.

I like the os, seems to be quick and responsive. Near stock experience. Needs a dark mode though.

I'm really hoping the cameras get an update of sorts. Low light it seems to struggle. Best bet in all conditions is to go onto manual mode and put HDR on. It doesn't seem to be an option in standard modes.

Still getting used to it all. I do like it but I think they could've done some things better, but hopefully a firmware update can help sort the cameras??

When you get the wh-1000xm3, you'll appreciate the sound quality I promise.

It helps that Sony LDAC codec is built into Android now. Increases sq.

Make sure you configure the headphones using the app. Set for sq over connection quality. Also select dsee on. Lastly, make sure you listen with ANC off whenever you get a chance, because the headphones really sing when you turn ANC off!

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site

Speakers sound decent.

Not sure why people are complaining about camera processing time. Mine is quick.

I've never used vivid mode but I can appreciate why some people would want it.

You can adjust the screen under Display -> white balance. Medium is standard but there's cool and warm plus custom settings.

There's dark mode for the notifications and app drawer. Display -> Advance -> View -> Device Theme

Apparently Q will bring full dark mode to Sony devices.

I'm indifferent to phone speakers but that's me.

I wouldn't suggest putting HDR mode on all the time. Not necessary. But yes auto mode is not the best and doesn't allow HDR.

Huawei and others reduce fisheye affect in processing the image whereas Sony does not. Why I'm not sure. I'm still looking for an easy fix but I'm currently trying to use Snapseed to do this fix.

I do hope some updates come for the cameras and the video app. I see this phone as a starting point to better things but they need to get it right quickly.

If anyone is interested. Sony allows Camera2 API. This means you can save RAW images using other camera apps that support it, like Open Camera. I'm hoping for a GCam port soon.

Last edited:

CTalman

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
When you get the wh-1000xm3, you'll appreciate the sound quality I promise.

It helps that Sony LDAC codec is built into Android now. Increases sq.

Make sure you configure the headphones using the app. Set for sq over connection quality. Also select dsee on. Lastly, make sure you listen with ANC off whenever you get a chance, because the headphones really sing when you turn ANC off!

Wow, these headphones are brilliant!

Still playing about with the settings to get the best sound but instantly you can hear the quality.

Nice and light too and comfortable.

Fantastic bonus on top of the phone!

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
How does it feel in the hand? It's 6.5" and I have small hands, so I'm unsure if it'll be usable for me.
It's one of the most comfortable phone's I've held. It's also the first big phone I've owned.

Yes it's big but it's got one handed mode and you can access notifications by swiping down anywhere on the screen.

It also has Sony side sense which is pretty good.

Best thing to do is watch some review videos to get an idea of some of the features.

I have big hands but I still use two hands to do things sometimes but that doesn't bother me.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It's one of the most comfortable phone's I've held. It's also the first big phone I've owned.

Yes it's big but it's got one handed mode and you can access notifications by swiping down anywhere on the screen.

It also has Sony side sense which is pretty good.

Best thing to do is watch some review videos to get an idea of some of the features.

I have big hands but I still use two hands to do things sometimes but that doesn't bother me.

Thank you so much for getting back to me about how it feels in the hand! That really helps. I'll be sure to check out review videos!

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Are all apps optimised for the tall aspect ratio?
I've not had any issues with any apps.

I use a few of the popular ones without problems.

Can't say 100% there are no issues (way too many apps to try) but I think the majority will be fine.

Split screen works great too.