Ghost touches on touch screen *Fixed*

djeire84

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi all you lovely Android central family I hope your evening is a good one and to my American friends happy Thanksgiving.

My phone the Xperia 10 for a while now have been suffering with touchscreen freezes and ghost touches. I tried everything restarts and resets nothing worked. So I decided to take a different approach seeing its display issues so I made sure the timeout was set to 1 minute but I also decided to turn on Adaptive brightness as I never use it. I usually have my brightness set to manual (slider).

It's two months on now since using it and it's fixed. Not one freeze not one ghost touch. I'm baffled at why but I have a theory that the brightness being set to adaptive makes sure the touchscreen has enough power but not to over power the screen which makes the electricity to disperse in irregular patterns. Which can cause the screen to freeze and cause ghost touches as the screen isn't getting enough power or that area is getting too much and cannot differentiate between actual touch and surges of power in that area.

Adaptive brightness helps and you should try it if you too have issues with freezes and ghost touches.

Settings
Display
Adaptive Brightness (on)
Screen timeout (I use one minute but you can chose your own I'd suggest anything BELOW one minute as it gives the screen a chance to "cool / power save" anything above would render the Adaptive Brightness null and void)

Hope this helps.
Stay Safe.

Éire 💖

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad you fixed the problem but ...

Screen brightness is controlled in the bottom layer - the LED. Touches are sensed in the top layer, the digitizer. There's at least one layer between them, the LCD layer (that's the layer on which you see the pictures - the "screen"). The amount of LED brightness has nothing to do with the digitizer. So you fixed it, but your theory needs some rethinking. ������

Last edited by a moderator:

djeire84

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
I'm glad you fixed the problem but ...

Screen brightness is controlled in the bottom layer - the LED. Touches are sensed in the top layer, the digitizer. There's at least one layer between them, the LCD layer (that's the layer on which you see the pictures - the "screen"). The amount of LED brightness has nothing to do with the digitizer. So you fixed it, but your theory needs some rethinking. ������

I have to disagree with you. The power dissipation is the issue. If the screen overall is getting too much power (all the time) then the right amount of power or too much in one area will happen. When you tap the screen it can freeze because the power gets stuck in one area or multiple areas causing the screen to think there are multiple touches or one area of the screen is depressed therefore it freezes or locks up. In regard the ghost touches the power can often Spike or surge in one area over and over as the dissipation (mentioned above) gets distorted and once the distortion "resets itself" it doest reset properly which can cause the screen to "see" multiple touches hence the screen goes crazy thinking its being touched when in fact its not.

Ive quite an extensive career in IT and I've worked on multiple devices and operating systems. Touch screens operate on a system of evenly spread out power on all of its sensors if any of them are out of sync then the screen doesn't calibrate correctly therefore doesn't work the way it should. Even using the system inbuilt calibrator won't work because it's operating on an over powered (in certain areas) underpowered in others.

Adaptive brightness works I've had the issue near a year and since I've had the feature switched on I've had zero freezes and zero ghost touches because the power gets evenly distributed through the sensors and allows the phone to work effectively.

Éire

Katie L1

Jan 7, 2022
Visit site
Hi Eire,

I set up an account for this forum just to thank you for this amazing solution. Fixed the extensive ghost touch problems on my sony xperia like a charm, and without any invasive battery changing or interesting lighter ignition magic.

Also, always glad to see a well substantiated reply to some (possibly unintentional) mansplaining.

Cheers from Amsterdam,

Katie

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi Eire,

I set up an account for this forum just to thank you for this amazing solution. Fixed the extensive ghost touch problems on my sony xperia like a charm, and without any invasive battery changing or interesting lighter ignition magic.

Also, always glad to see a well substantiated reply to some (possibly unintentional) mansplaining.

Cheers from Amsterdam,

Katie
Welcome to AC!
Glad this thread helped you .

djeire84

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Eire,

Cheers from Amsterdam,

Katie

You're more then welcome. I'm super delighted you've had the ghost issues fixed for you. I've given my dad my Sony Xperia 10 as I've the MK3 version and he hasn't had an issue with it.

So happy for you. And welcome to the forums too. Please do enjoy your stay with us and if you've any issue with anything let me know.

Éire 💖

Mervyn niels

Apr 14, 2022
Visit site
Thank you very much, I was desperate and ready to change my phone, it saves me money! Just a quick question, can we readjust the brightness if it's too low or let the phone do it?

Last edited by a moderator:

MicMig

Dec 13, 2023
Visit site
Hi! Unfortunately this solution does not work on my sony xz2 compact. I am suffering with ghost touches and unresposnsive screen since years. Changed 4 displays already. They function for a while but, one day, randomly, they decide to go wild and gradually get worse. Adaptive brightness is on and timeout is below one minute.
So there must be some bigger issues on Sony's screens and I still have not figured it out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool