Google Lens recent update stopped app from working

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

I own a Sony Xperia 10 operating on Android 10.

Google lens seems to have auto updated, recently. Now when I go into the app I get a black screen and a message "Thanks for updating. Lens will be available soon. Please try later".

I've had this message for over 2 weeks now and can't find a way of either re-installing Lens (it came bundled with my phone and has no un-install option) and Google Store doesn't offer that option, either.

Any clues as to what I can do?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When you say Google Lens has no uninstall option, are you talking about in the Settings>Apps menu?

If you have the Google Photos app installed, try selecting a photo there. Do you see a Lens icon at the bottom, between the Edit and Trash icons?

alfieb2020

Dec 6, 2020
Visit site
Sorry. Didn't realise I hadn't signed in when I posted my question.

I tried clearing the cache & file data on the app. The uninstall option appeared so clicked that.

I then got 2 other options, update & open. I tried both and still got the same result of a black screen and the same update message.

Should that have happened? I had thought a re-install might have solved my problem?

alfieb2020

Dec 6, 2020
Visit site
1) Yes,, on the app settings. There was no uninstall option.

Mustang7757 suggested clearing the app cache & data. Did that and uninstall appeared. Then had 2 options of update or open so tried both options and still got the black screen.

2) Sorry don't have Google Photos on my phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you also try clearing the app cache/data for the Google app? If that doesn't help, then you might also consider doing the same for Google Play Services.

djeire84

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

I own a Sony Xperia 10 operating on Android 10.

Google lens seems to have auto updated, recently. Now when I go into the app I get a black screen and a message "Thanks for updating. Lens will be available soon. Please try later".

I've had this message for over 2 weeks now and can't find a way of either re-installing Lens (it came bundled with my phone and has no un-install option) and Google Store doesn't offer that option, either.

Any clues as to what I can do?

Hi there welcome to the forum and the Android Central Family.

I enabled the app to test it for you as I too have an Xperia 10 and its saying the same thing. Disabling, clearing cache and cookies won't help as its an issue on Google Lens side and not your device. If you go to the store page and tap on the reviews a lot of people are having the same issue. It looks like Google are trying to patch it to make it work. Maybe make a support ticket to Google and explain the issue with them. Just so your voice is heard and your added to the support tickets already lodged so they can work on it a little quicker for you.

I don't use lens myself but that doesn't mean I don't care. I'm sorry your having an issue with it and I'm 100% positive it's not your smartphone its happening to others on different devices. I hope this helps.

Happy Holidays

Éire

Attachments

• 1821.jpg
    1821.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 5

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi there welcome to the forum and the Android Central Family.

I enabled the app to test it for you as I too have an Xperia 10 and its saying the same thing. Disabling, clearing cache and cookies won't help as its an issue on Google Lens side and not your device. If you go to the store page and tap on the reviews a lot of people are having the same issue. It looks like Google are trying to patch it to make it work. Maybe make a support ticket to Google and explain the issue with them. Just so your voice is heard and your added to the support tickets already lodged so they can work on it a little quicker for you.

I don't use lens myself but that doesn't mean I don't care. I'm sorry your having an issue with it and I'm 100% positive it's not your smartphone its happening to others on different devices. I hope this helps.

Happy Holidays

Éire
Thanks for your find