Camera won't open

spacemanZ10

Apr 21, 2018
Visit site
Since downloading the latest android 8 my camera won't open from the app or the side button? Anyone else having this issue? Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried a different camera app, to isolate whether the problem is hardware or software? The camera module could have gone bad at the same time as the update happened.

spacemanZ10

Apr 21, 2018
Visit site
Downloaded a new app and it won't open it says the camera function on the smartphone has crashed. This is since the android update 8.0.0 very pissed as had to send this phone back after 3 months when camera stopped focusing.

djeire84

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
Since downloading the latest android 8 my camera won't open from the app or the side button? Anyone else having this issue? Thanks

First thing you need to do is do a hardware test.

Settings
Support
Tests

Run them all and see does the camera respond. If it does uninstall any camera app that didn't come installed on the phone.
If it doesn't respond do a soft reset first.

Turn off phone fully
Wait a minute
Press and hold volume up and power together until vibrate.
Run tests again if it fails Hard Reset
**Back up your phone first
Settings
Backup**

To hard reset
Settings
System
Reset
Factory data reset.
Wait and set up the phone as normal.

Run tests again if it fails further get the phone to nearby Sony repair centre or if under warranty go to where you bought it.

Let us know how you get on.

Éire

spacemanZ10

Apr 21, 2018
Visit site
Soft reset and tests didn't work, flash doesn't work. It just says camera not available. Amazingly in tests the part about crashed apps doesn't list the camera at all.
Will try hard reset.

spacemanZ10

Apr 21, 2018
Visit site
Unfortunately a hard reset and reinstall hasn't rectified it. No camera just says camera stopped working when i do the test. Looks like sending it back for the third phone in space of a year. Very disappointing as I love the look of the Sony phones. Also battery life has never been good on this phone. Might go to the blackberry key2 le, I miss my blackberry passport.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Was this an official system update over-the-air, or did you download an update file from a website and install it manually?

Also, when you say "hard reset," you're talking about a factory data reset, correct?

djeire84

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi yes it was official over the air, and yes full factory reset. I am still logging back into apps days later. Thanks

Take it back to the store you bought it from if under warranty or you can send it to your local Sony Repair facility to get it fixed. So sorry to hear your having issues with it.

Éire

Edit: have you tried a repair using the Sony Xperia Companion on your pc. It flashes firmware to your phone and it does help with hardware issues. Try this final step before the above step I outlined.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Since the camera has already been repaired or replaced, it could be a coincidence -- maybe the camera failed on its own again right around the time of the update. In any case, I agree with djeire84 -- contact Sony if it's still under warranty.

spacemanZ10

Apr 21, 2018
Visit site
When it last failed they replaced it so I assums this new one still has warranty.
I tried the Xperia companion but it doesn't pick up the phone is connected. The phone charges when connected but companion does not find it and I tried the troubleshoot also. Hey ho

djeire84

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
When it last failed they replaced it so I assums this new one still has warranty.
I tried the Xperia companion but it doesn't pick up the phone is connected. The phone charges when connected but companion does not find it and I tried the troubleshoot also. Hey ho

To use companion make sure the screen is unlocked connect USB a notice appears on your phone chose transfer files then the companion should see your device.

If it doesn't update the program and restart the PC. Then do above.

If it doesn't work then uninstall and reinstall companion and do the above steps outlined.

Try this before sending the phone back because I don't know but some manufactures will fix something for free once and other fixes are charged if your sending it back make sure you ask about fee.

Éire

djeire84

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
Since the camera has already been repaired or replaced, it could be a coincidence -- maybe the camera failed on its own again right around the time of the update. In any case, I agree with djeire84 -- contact Sony if it's still under warranty.

Much appreciated 😊

Éire 💖

spacemanZ10

Apr 21, 2018
Visit site
Tried re installing companion and even a different Sony cable but it won't detect the phone. So will wipe it and send it back tomorrow. Will let you know when it's back. Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante