Red Xperia XZ Premium coming to US. Why doesn't Sony get more love?

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
I don't own this phone (in any color) but I've seen it as Best Buy and really liked it. Why doesn't Sony get more love as a company? This phone in any color looks amazing!

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Red-Sony-Xperia-XZ-Premium-release-price-US_id99706

I think its the bezel. People are sinking their bezels and they fail to adjust to the times. They have the screen, the sound, but not the look. That's what I always thought and this was confirmed by a reputable Stores associate.
I questioned the same thing?
It's like they're stuck 3 years behind in the design department.
I like Sony, I just feel they're fun needs a design overhaul. It's coming though, stay tuned.

kurtd

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
I think because of the lack of fingerprint scanner in the US.

Here in the UK Sony does and is known quite well.

Exactly, I can't decided if I should buy the US one and then change the firmware or just buy an international one without warranty. Would have bought one long ago if the fingerprint sensor worked.

vladi

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
I think its the bezel. People are sinking their bezels and they fail to adjust to the times. They have the screen, the sound, but not the look. That's what I always thought and this was confirmed by a reputable Stores associate.
I questioned the same thing?
It's like they're stuck 3 years behind in the design department.
I like Sony, I just feel they're fun needs a design overhaul. It's coming though, stay tuned.

They got the slab factor to perfection no need to change it really. Put it against any LG, Huawei, Pixel, Chinese and it's leagues ahead of them. Small bezels only make the ergonomics worse because Android is really not ready for vertical side to side screen.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Agreed.. but i have to admit, i dont mind the bezels because they hold the stereo speakers.. if the XZP had been more like the original Pixel XL... where the huge bezels were just silly and pointless.. then I could understand the arguments. Also, the bezels and side rails give the phone abit of rigidity, strength and weight... making it tougher and IMO, make it feel more worth the money Im paying for it... an S8 /S8+ is far too flimsy and easy to break.

I love my XZP and the camera is amazing, I think more realistic colours, white balance and true to life than the S8, although, the EIS occasionally makes a mess of the focus and images, which can be irritating, its not that big an issue where I wouldnt buy it.

No matter where you look these days.. everyone has either a SS or an Apple, which IMO, shows an inability of some people to think for themselves and just let these stores and reviewers tell them what to do and whats right for them, which is just sad ... so to me, its nice to own something a bit different that I choose, plus my XZP always turns a few heads.. :)

Byrese

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Agreed.. but i have to admit, i dont mind the bezels because they hold the stereo speakers.. if the XZP had been more like the original Pixel XL... where the huge bezels were just silly and pointless.. then I could understand the arguments. Also, the bezels and side rails give the phone abit of rigidity, strength and weight... making it tougher and IMO, make it feel more worth the money Im paying for it... an S8 /S8+ is far too flimsy and easy to break.

I love my XZP and the camera is amazing, I think more realistic colours, white balance and true to life than the S8, although, the EIS occasionally makes a mess of the focus and images, which can be irritating, its not that big an issue where I wouldnt buy it.

No matter where you look these days.. everyone has either a SS or an Apple, which IMO, shows an inability of some people to think for themselves and just let these stores and reviewers tell them what to do and whats right for them, which is just sad ... so to me, its nice to own something a bit different that I choose, plus my XZP always turns a few heads.. :)
I've never owned the phone but have been tempted. Right now I go between a BlackBerry KEYone and a Nexus 6P, though the latter might be broken beyond repair. So like you, I like to think for myself and have something a bit different generally. Thats what makes Android so fun IMO, customization and a variety of phones.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't think that Sony puts much effort into the US market.

Agreed.... in fact, its next to non-existent here in the UK, but I dont think SONY puts alot of effort into any of their phones anywhere here in the west TBH... SONY just seem to focus mainly on the PlayStation.. which is a shame

kurtd

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
Exactly, I can't decided if I should buy the US one and then change the firmware or just buy an international one without warranty. Would have bought one long ago if the fingerprint sensor worked.

Update:

I ended up ordering the Xperia XZ Premium from eglobalcentral.com which is a site based out of Hong Kong. The phone is the dual sim version with finger printer reader and the price was unbeatable. I'm real happy with that website because they will handle the 1 year warranty for you should you need it. You'd have to send the device to them in Hong Kong but it's still better than no warranty at all like the international ones for sale on amazon. The item came a bit after it's estimated delivery time according to DHL but it came in good shape.

I'm really glad I purchased from them as the finger print reader is absolutely amazing on this device, couldn't live without it. I'm real happy with the 4k LCD screen as well, it's the best I've seen and definitely the best for videos.

I normally don't use phone cases but this is the first phone I've had with glass on the back so I went with a really thin case and I'm really happy with it's quality. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6110845

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Agreed.... in fact, its next to non-existent here in the UK, but I dont think SONY puts alot of effort into any of their phones anywhere here in the west TBH... SONY just seem to focus mainly on the PlayStation.. which is a shame

To be fair, smartphones are a tough market and if you're not Apple or Samsung, you probably aren't making a ton.

Byrese

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Update:

I ended up ordering the Xperia XZ Premium from eglobalcentral.com which is a site based out of Hong Kong. The phone is the dual sim version with finger printer reader and the price was unbeatable. I'm real happy with that website because they will handle the 1 year warranty for you should you need it. You'd have to send the device to them in Hong Kong but it's still better than no warranty at all like the international ones for sale on amazon. The item came a bit after it's estimated delivery time according to DHL but it came in good shape.

I'm really glad I purchased from them as the finger print reader is absolutely amazing on this device, couldn't live without it. I'm real happy with the 4k LCD screen as well, it's the best I've seen and definitely the best for videos.

I normally don't use phone cases but this is the first phone I've had with glass on the back so I went with a really thin case and I'm really happy with it's quality. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6111398
That looks so sweet. I love million cases. What color did u get? This was a phone I was eying but decided to get an Honor 8 at the time instead. I really liked this phone though.

kurtd

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
I went with the black case and black phone. I don't care to stand out lol. It does look nice though. I'm probably going to stick with Sony flagships going forward as I like this device so much. The default launcher, settings app, notifications area, alarms, etc. are much better than what I've seen on LG and Samsung in my opinion. Camera button is great as well. It's missing the glance screen, wireless charging, and double tap to wake but those are very minor features that I haven't missed at all.

Byrese

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I went with the black case and black phone. I don't care to stand out lol. It does look nice though. I'm probably going to stick with Sony flagships going forward as I like this device so much. The default launcher, settings app, notifications area, alarms, etc. are much better than what I've seen on LG and Samsung in my opinion. Camera button is great as well. It's missing the glance screen, wireless charging, and double tap to wake but those are very minor features that I haven't missed at all.
It looks like I may need to replace my device (I may need a replacement device, which if true I'll just sell it and move on). I'll have to consider getting a Sony, as I think they are really nice. Even as I say that though...those pixels just look killer.

kurtd

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
It looks like I may need to replace my device (I may need a replacement device, which if true I'll just sell it and move on). I'll have to consider getting a Sony, as I think they are really nice. Even as I say that though...those pixels just look killer.

The Pixel 2 XL was my second choice because I refuse to get a phone without front facing stereo speakers but the cost is much higher for almost the same specs. Now that I have the Sony, I think I made the right choice, the finger print reader on the side is great because it still is usable while in a car mount. The screen on the Pixel 2 XL is so-so as well as many reviews noted. 4k screen on the Sony is amazing for video, no black bars. You can also change it to super vivid mode which I prefer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome