Xperia XZ1 or XZ1 Compact?

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm drawn to the XZ1 Compact but I'll like to know which one you are drawn to, and why?

For me, I have been seeking a phone to replace my iPhone SE but it's still small. This seems to hit the spot.

SkypilotOfHope

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm drawn to the Compact but here in Canada, so far, Sony hasn't indicated if they'll even offer the smaller version. I would buy the Twilight Pink for my wife in a heartbeat; she's a dog groomer and takes copious photos and the size and specs of the Compact would be perfect for her.

That said, I actually like the Venus Pink colouring on the XZ1 itself so, who knows, maybe I'll get her this one. It's nice to have options.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Now that pixel 2 (5 inch) came out. It's going to be tough decision for me lol. Sony compact line always been 720p resolution so battery will be very very good especially with snapdragon 835 chipset. DXOmark scored 98 for google pixel 2. I wonder new sony xz1 compact won't have finger print sensor again for US markets.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Now that pixel 2 (5 inch) came out. It's going to be tough decision for me lol. Sony compact line always been 720p resolution so battery will be very very good especially with snapdragon 835 chipset. DXOmark scored 98 for google pixel 2. I wonder new sony xz1 compact won't have finger print sensor again for US markets.

I can relate to this. I bought a XZ1 Compact which I should have soon before hearing about the Pixel 2. Since I have a Pixel and the Google trade-in value is nice, I also got a Pixel 2 too BUT I'm not going to get it until the middle of November so I have a window of time with the XZ1 Compact.

Basically, if the XZ1 Compact cameras are solid (that's my only concern because everything else you mentioned will be great) enough for me, I'll probably cancel the Pixel 2 order. I don't plan to keep both...
If the Sony cameras are a disappointment to me though, the Pixel 2 will be my pick possibly. I love that the Sony has a headphone jack...

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I can relate to this. I bought a XZ1 Compact which I should have soon before hearing about the Pixel 2. Since I have a Pixel and the Google trade-in value is nice, I also got a Pixel 2 too BUT I'm not going to get it until the middle of November so I have a window of time with the XZ1 Compact.

Basically, if the XZ1 Compact cameras are solid (that's my only concern because everything else you mentioned will be great) enough for me, I'll probably cancel the Pixel 2 order. I don't plan to keep both...
If the Sony cameras are a disappointment to me though, the Pixel 2 will be my pick possibly. I love that the Sony has a headphone jack...

I already pre-order pixel 2 but it won’t arrive until October 19. I am still not 100% sure if I want pixel lol. No headphone jack is also deal breaker for me. Let me know how your compact zx1 goes.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I already pre-order pixel 2 but it won’t arrive until October 19. I am still not 100% sure if I want pixel lol. No headphone jack is also deal breaker for me. Let me know how your compact zx1 goes.

Whoa, yours is coming in like 2 weeks but I can get how you feel about the Pixel. That's so hard.

My XZ1 Compact is scheduled to arrive on Monday so I will for sure.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd take the XZ1 over the Compact. 5.2" isn't too large a screen for me. I've used larger and the 5.0" X I'm running seems a tad smallish. I also like the 1080p vs 720p, the extra internal storage and the fact that the XZ1 is Type C 3.1 and the Compact is only 2.0 protocol.

...My XZ1 Compact is scheduled to arrive on Monday so I will for sure.

Congrats on the purchase. About that camera, seems to be the same sensor and f/stop as the X, but with a slightly longer focal length and reduced MP count. I wouldn't put the Sony camera up there with Lumia, but mine is a decent shooter. Biggest thing will be if it is all-in with Camera2 API. The X only partially supports it (missing RAW support).

Try this app to check: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sdgsystems.camera2probe

DominionRoofs

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
I just ordered the xz1 after deleting from my cart like eight times. Lol. The reason is because I too ordered the Google Pixel and wasn't sure if I should wait. I do however prefer the largest screen I can manage so if I like the xz1, I'll cancel the pixel. I'm pretty sure the pixel does not support hdr nor does it have a headphone jack. I know is the trend but definitely not convenient if you're looking to charge while listening to music or video.
I've actually had three compact phones and love the size. The xz1 is extremely thin though. Never had the 5.2 so I'll try it. In addition to the 1080p and screen size, the compact also doesn't have hdr and the radios are slightly weaker. I love Sony phones. They are well optimized and smooth as silk. Having 8.0 already, makes the pixel a harder sell for me. The Camara and the oled screen are the only things it has over Sony right now imo. If Sony put darn OIS in their phones, it would be a no brainer

Last edited:

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I just ordered the xz1 after deleting from my cart like eight times. Lol. The reason is because I too ordered the Google Pixel and wasn't sure if I should wait. I do however prefer the largest screen I can manage so if I like the xz1, I'll cancel the pixel. I'm pretty sure the pixel does not support hdr nor does it have a headphone jack. I know is the trend but definitely not convenient if you're looking to charge while listening to music or video.
I've actually had three compact phones and love the size. The xz1 is extremely thin though. Never had the 5.2 so I'll try it. In addition to the 1080p and screen size, the compact also doesn't have hdr and the radios are slightly weaker. I love Sony phones. They are well optimized and smooth as silk. Having 8.0 already, makes the pixel a harder sell for me. The Camara and the oled screen are the only things it has over Sony right now imo. If Sony put darn OIS in their phones, it would be a no brainer
Sounds like a great plan. Congrats on your XZ1! I'll be looking forward to your impressions of it.

I can relate to that, I did a similar thing with the Pixel too. A headphone jack is a noticable thing to be gone. It's a bit challenging not to have one for me.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I'd take the XZ1 over the Compact. 5.2" isn't too large a screen for me. I've used larger and the 5.0" X I'm running seems a tad smallish. I also like the 1080p vs 720p, the extra internal storage and the fact that the XZ1 is Type C 3.1 and the Compact is only 2.0 protocol.

Congrats on the purchase. About that camera, seems to be the same sensor and f/stop as the X, but with a slightly longer focal length and reduced MP count. I wouldn't put the Sony camera up there with Lumia, but mine is a decent shooter. Biggest thing will be if it is all-in with Camera2 API. The X only partially supports it (missing RAW support).

Try this app to check: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sdgsystems.camera2probe

Sounds like 5.2" could work out for you.

Thank you! I had the X Compact and as a point and shoot kind of gal, it wasn't good enough for me. Apparently Sony has updated their software processing for their camera. From what I see from reviews, it does seem improved but the question for me would be if it is improved enough to be a solid camera or will it still miss the bar?

I also have a Pixel which has an excellent camera. I don't need it to totally meet the Pixel but I do need it to hold its own, beat the iPhone SE and my Galaxy A3. Enough to make one of my phones no longer needed, lol.

Thanks for the app link, I will give the app a try for you.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site

I tried this app for you and this is what I got:

e7c6e75bb808d514de18d11d28a2b3ef.jpg

DJCBS

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Biggest thing will be if it is all-in with Camera2 API. The X only partially supports it (missing RAW support).

I can confirm that the XZ1 Compact STILL does NOT support RAW. It supports all other camera2api feautres EXCEPT for RAW.
It's like Sony doesn't want you to actually see how ****ty their camera software is.

Because the XZ1 Compact is still a pretty terrible camera performer in ANY lighting condition that isn't great. And without RAW support, you can't use the Google Camera HDR+ port from XDA with it which would put a vastly better camera on Xperias.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I can confirm that the XZ1 Compact STILL does NOT support RAW. It supports all other camera2api feautres EXCEPT for RAW.
It's like Sony doesn't want you to actually see how ****ty their camera software is.

Because the XZ1 Compact is still a pretty terrible camera performer in ANY lighting condition that isn't great. And without RAW support, you can't use the Google Camera HDR+ port from XDA with it which would put a vastly better camera on Xperias.

I was really disappointed to find out that the ZX1 Compact didn't support the Google camera port.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Is there anyway to improve xz1 compact camera quality?

You can "change" the default camera app to another app like Open Camera. Open Camera is generally better with colors from what I noticed. Change is in quotes because it's not a total change. It's a change for what launches when you tap the power button twice to open the camera. From apps that use the camera (like Duo, Skype, etc), you can't get around the default camera processing.

Aside from that, not much one can do aside from tweaking manually and hoping for the best.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
You can "change" the default camera app to another app like Open Camera. Open Camera is generally better with colors from what I noticed. Change is in quotes because it's not a total change. It's a change for what launches when you tap the power button twice to open the camera. From apps that use the camera (like Duo, Skype, etc), you can't get around the default camera processing.

Aside from that, not much one can do aside from tweaking manually and hoping for the best.
I wish my zx1 compact had great camera like pixel 2. I see myself using pixel 2 more often :(

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

That's why I have a Lumia 950 for a dedicated camera. The Xperia X is going to be a test bed for Sailfish X. The camera is just alright, but you can make it jump through a couple of hoops.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci