My Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact review

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Thank you!

Hmm that's interesting that you have it in your XZ but it's not here. I guess they decided to trade it for glove mode. I can look into the always on but I value my battery life too much. This phone has had great battery life for me and I wouldn't want to change that.

That sounds like a very useful app, I'll look into it. Thank you for sharing the app with me.
I have glove mode as well. It's possible the compact version doesn't have double tap to wake?

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Is battery life better than IPhone SE?
My wife's iPhone SE goes days between charges, and she sometimes uses Spotify for hours. Not sure if any phone could do much better on the battery. She literally often goes all weekend without a charge.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
My wife's iPhone SE goes days between charges, and she sometimes uses Spotify for hours. Not sure if any phone could do much better on the battery. She literally often goes all weekend without a charge.

I know how good iPhone SE battery life is. It’s not better than IPhone 6s/7 plus but very good. I had oneplus 5 (1080p) and i got crazy good battery life as well so I can’t imagine how good it will be with 720p screen with snapdragon 835.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site

I have a new se and mine is def not like this. Great battery on stand by but while in use and on LTE it drains. Looking froward to the compact. My last one had great battery while the screen was on as well as off.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I have a new se and mine is def not like this. Great battery on stand by but while in use and on LTE it drains. Looking froward to the compact. My last one had great battery while the screen was on as well as off.
Hmm I didn't know individual iPhone SE behave differently. I always have wifi off at work because LTE is faster lol.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Hmm I didn't know individual iPhone SE behave differently. I always have wifi off at work because LTE is faster lol.

I’m talking when the screen is on. So not steaming music or anything like that. But videos or GPS while out and mine drains. Seemed pretty normal on reddit too. But without the screen on it’s a champ for me. But everyone’s usage is different. My heavy day might be someone else’s light day and so on. For me it is good but not great in the battery department.

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
My heavy day might be someone else’s light day and so on. For me it is good but not great in the battery department.
^^True^^ Hard to compare apples to oranges. The one thing I know is that my wife charges her SE much less often than previous phones, and she charges the least in the family. So, it is better than some, but who knows with your own particular usage pattern. One thing I have found is that when you are in a weak LTE area most phones will burn right through the battery.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site

Congrats on the Compact! I hope that you'll like it.

^^True^^ Hard to compare apples to oranges. The one thing I know is that my wife charges her SE much less often than previous phones, and she charges the least in the family. So, it is better than some, but who knows with your own particular usage pattern. One thing I have found is that when you are in a weak LTE area most phones will burn right through the battery.

This is true but in my experience, the XZ1 Compact has topped the SE in use and standby battery life overall.

Edit: As a point of context, for me work has a very strong signal. At home, it is not as strong for me at all. It goes between weak to decent based on where I am, so my battery life experience is based on how the phone handles both environments.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Wow, I didn't know that you had glove mode too. Maybe that is possible but @DominionRoofs has the XZ1 and they say that it isn't there too. I guess Sony decided to change their mind.

Just to add to this.

I checked my wife's Z5 compact. It has double tap to wake and glove mode as well.

Seems like Sony is reducing features for some reason.

DominionRoofs

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
Just to add to this.

I checked my wife's Z5 compact. It has double tap to wake and glove mode as well.

Seems like Sony is reducing features for some reason.

Yes they are. Now, if it's an attempt to make the phone more stockish and stable, I'm all for it. Not sure what else it would be.

Last edited:

Andrew_404

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I've just received my Sony Compact XZ1. Great phone all round. I had the Compact X before.

I have a technical question. In my older compact X I was able to setup a notification sound and setup a separate one for text messages. This is setup in messages under settings.

Now for some reason when you setup a sound under messages that sound is used for All notifications including emails, watts app and so on.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I've just received my Sony Compact XZ1. Great phone all round. I had the Compact X before.

I have a technical question. In my older compact X I was able to setup a notification sound and setup a separate one for text messages. This is setup in messages under settings.

Now for some reason when you setup a sound under messages that sound is used for All notifications including emails, watts app and so on.

Try going to Messages->Settings->Notifications and set a sound there. Then use a different sound for general notifications and that should do the trick.

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site

It appears the 'new' way (old?) to do thing is to set your sounds in the app of your choice rather than the OS.

So go to your email app (Facebook, Twitter, etc) in settings to set the notification sound there.

For message notifications it's typically your the notifications sound but if you use a different app then you can change it in there.

Hope that helps.

Andrew_404

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I've done this too. I even went ahead and deleted the standard message app and replaced the standard with textra third party app same problem. Very weird.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Did a recent battery rundown that I could screenshot for this thread.

Note that not all of the apps I used show in Oreo. I used it normally, read several chapters of my ebook, watched some videos of various lengths (5-20 minutes) and this is what we got.

It shut down 5 minutes later (10:25 pm) and I turned off stamina mode once it kicked in at 15%. With Stamina mode, it probably could have went a few more hours.
e44693bc223359d67a06a8cd73ef055e.jpg
7e469d3626f91251adf9bc280b51d7f2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2