XZ1 Compact Signal Strength

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking into getting this phone some time this year, because it has important things for me - excellent battery life and perfect Compact size. I'm just tired of these bricks in and out of my hands. Just need a phone I can comfortably type/swype in 1 hand.
Another important thing on the list of not on the top is the signal strength.
How does it compare to the phones you had before upgrading (assuming you love and commute in the same area)? Or rather , did you have a chance to do side to side comparison on the same network (preferably ATT) ?
I'm spoiled with consistently strong Motorola radios , so I can't just jump onto anything else that easy.
Of course , another problem to deal with is gonna be lack of Moto's Active Display. Still not sure I can live without it. :) Moto Z play is closest to perfect phone for me and would keep it til it dies, but I'm just getting tired of the 2 hand use.

Thanks for any input.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm really late to this party for you, but hopefully it will be helpful to you (if not also someone else), but the signal was a great strong one for me. I used it on cricket, and I was amazed with how well it could hold a signal along with LTE speeds. To me, it was comparable to the first Pixel signal strength. When I went down to another phone with lesser connectivity, I missed the strength.

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Not late at all :) thanks for the info.
Sounds encouraging for sure.
If by the end of summer nothing comes out close to this size and performance of course, it's a no brainer to pass. Even the price might drop below $400.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Not late at all :) thanks for the info.
Sounds encouraging for sure.
If by the end of summer nothing comes out close to this size and performance of course, it's a no brainer to pass. Even the price might drop below $400.

You're welcome! Glad to be helpful. Sadly, the trends seems to be big displays so it might be alone in its class. At least in Sony's case, it is possible that the price will drop if you just have patience. The successor to this, the XZ2 Compact, will be available in the US from Amazon, and other places in 21 days (May 20 on). Usually that means that the price of the previous model might drop a little bit.

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
To make things worse, XZ2 is bigger and chunkier but with worse battery life. Bigger display and higher resolution (moved to 1080p) are taking the toll. 100 mAh bigger battery was not enough. And obviously sd845 is not all that efficient as initially claimed.
15%+ is a significant drop in battery life.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
To make things worse, XZ2 is bigger and chunkier but with worse battery life. Bigger display and higher resolution (moved to 1080p) are taking the toll. 100 mAh bigger battery was not enough. And obviously sd845 is not all that efficient as initially claimed.
15%+ is a significant drop in battery life.
Do you have both xz1 and xz2? I got xz1c with 720p and battery life is great for me.

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I love my xz1 compact!

What carrier you are using it on?
If it's ATT , I'd like to know if you have VoLTE or HD Voice calling service enabled. I'm frustrated with Z Play because ATT won't let me use it even though the phone is capable of this service. ATT supports very few factory unlocked devices and unfortunately Moto is not of them. I just updated it to Oreo hoping to have it enabled but it won't work still.
I see that Pixels with 8.1 Oreo do have it - my Z Play was updated only to 8.0 version. So, I don't know what to expect.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
What carrier you are using it on?
If it's ATT , I'd like to know if you have VoLTE or HD Voice calling service enabled. I'm frustrated with Z Play because ATT won't let me use it even though the phone is capable of this service. ATT supports very few factory unlocked devices and unfortunately Moto is not of them. I just updated it to Oreo hoping to have it enabled but it won't work still.
I see that Pixels with 8.1 Oreo do have it - my Z Play was updated only to 8.0 version. So, I don't know what to expect.
Unfortunately, I have cricket wireless and only handful of device have HD voice capability.

Andrew_404

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
OK, this will probably surprise you. I have the Compact X, XZ1 and was fortunate enough to recently purchase the Compact XZ2.

I've gone back to the XZ1. Simple reason. The phones lighter, smaller and gets huge battery life over the XZ2. I'm a pretty decent user on the XZ1 and the battery lasts a full day + with about 40% left.

The XZ2 sadly would drop with the same usage to about 22%. Charging the XZ2 seems to be a little faster but the battery drain not so good 🤔

Yes, the XZ2 powers up faster no doubt. Switching screens to apps opening Google or other internet sites are really quick.

But overall, the XZ1 compact is thinner (thickness) and just nicer to hold in the hand and small enough for my pocket. I don't need a 6" phone or screen that I feel I'm holding a concrete slab.

I will be selling the XZ2 on Swappa or ebay. It's a shame that Sony has gone backwards.

One other comment. The camera on the Compact X yup the X actually beats both the XZ1 & 2. It's a 23MP and the pictures are still amazing.

Both my X and XZ1 I have the finger sensor on the side activated which is nice.

I'm using a MVNO of T- Mobile for my network. Call quality on the X and XZ1 no issues at all. Internet speeds I get about 40mbps down and around 20 upload. VOLTE isn't available on any Sony phone.

Signal strength LTE all of the time even when I travel. I'm based in the States and all of my Sony have been tested in many other States with no issues. The only State I had an issue was West Virginia with no coverage at all.

Last edited:

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
OK, this will probably surprise you. I have the Compact X, XZ1 and was fortunate enough to recently purchase the Compact XZ2.

I've gone back to the XZ1. Simple reason. The phones lighter, smaller and gets huge battery life over the XZ2. I'm a pretty decent user on the XZ1 and the battery lasts a full day + with about 40% left.

The XZ2 sadly would drop with the same usage to about 22%. Charging the XZ2 seems to be a little faster but the battery drain not so good 🤔

Yes, the XZ2 powers up faster no doubt. Switching screens to apps opening Google or other internet sites are really quick.

But overall, the XZ1 compact is thinner (thickness) and just nicer to hold in the hand and small enough for my pocket. I don't need a 6" phone or screen that I feel I'm holding a concrete slab.

I will be selling the XZ2 on Swappa or ebay. It's a shame that Sony has gone backwards.

One other comment. The camera on the Compact X yup the X actually beats both the XZ1 & 2. It's a 23MP and the pictures are still amazing.

I'm using a MVNO of T- Mobile for my network. Call quality on the X and XZ1 no issues at all. Internet speeds I get about 40mbps down and around 20 upload. VOLTE isn't available on any Sony phone.

Signal strength LTE all of the time even when I travel. I'm based in the States and all of my Sony have been tested in many other States with no issues. The only State I had an issue was West Virginia with no coverage at all.

Interesting. That camera is quite surprising. Not that I care much, but it is a plus.
I'm curious about "no coverage in WV". Did you buy US model or International? It has to be missing one of the bands or something. Actually, from what I know it's most likely T-Mobile. It's terrible in that area.

Andrew_404

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Interesting. That camera is quite surprising. Not that I care much, but it is a plus.
I'm curious about "no coverage in WV". Did you buy US model or International? It has to be missing one of the bands or something. Actually, from what I know it's most likely T-Mobile. It's terrible in that area.

The phone is an International version. The bands are in place but if you look at the TMobile website for West Virginia it has great coverage. The MVNO called Mint Mobile that uses TMobile towers, WV is completely white no coverage at all. It must be a poor market or lots of MVNO's from other carriers etc. Thank goodness I don't go to West Virginia that often.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site

The XZ2 sadly would drop with the same usage to about 22%. Charging the XZ2 seems to be a little faster but the battery drain not so good ??????

This is really interesting to read. Thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
You're very welcome!
It is also helpful because I'm wrestling with trying the XZ2 Compact again. In fact, I caved and got one again
I tried it for a second with the cameras and wasn't pleased so I returned it. I also had the XZ1 Compact before too (the cameras weren't for me, but that was the only downfall to it). Anyway, this is helpful to me and others too, I'm sure.
I don't know if I'll open this XZ2 Compact or not. We'll see.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
It is also helpful because I'm wrestling with trying the XZ2 Compact again. In fact, I caved and got one again
I tried it for a second with the cameras and wasn't pleased so I returned it. I also had the XZ1 Compact before too (the cameras weren't for me, but that was the only downfall to it). Anyway, this is helpful to me and others too, I'm sure.
If you drop your xz2c, I'll take it for huge discounted price

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site

I did open it and I have used it but I am disappointed in the battery drain in comparison to my first experience with the XZ1 Compact. I remember being so amazed at the battery life of the XZ1C and this has been disappointing. I have only had it for 3 days and I have charged it every day, which is something I already do with my iPhone 7 (I really wanted something like the XZ1C, that is a small phone with great performance and great battery life together). I get @Andrew_404 's point about the battery life.

I'll see if I can give it like 1 to 2 more days, depends on how I feel.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc