Are you interested in buying the XZ2 or the XZ2 Compact?

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
no one has mentioned it in the early reviews so I would guess not. honestly, I'm not sure what their hang-up is about RAW and the Camera2 API as well.

Honestly then you’re not a photographer. Raw is needed to get the best from the cams, and digital camera.
Look at the jpgs (closely) the come from the Sony phones. All are over processed, artifacted loaded, over sharpened, plastic and oil painted looking group of photos. Not just the Sony’s either.
Making photos in raw you can produce some really beautiful photos that can be printed surprisingly large. Not oversharpened, much more detail, much more DR, much better WB, much better colors.
If you’re just shooting for viewing on the phone and social median then no problem, mostly, with the jpgs that the camera pops out

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I didn't know raw files are very important. Does pixel 2 support raw file too?

I’m not 100% sure , maybe 95% sure :p that it does. Not with it’s native camera app though. You have to use a 3rd party app which is ok.
The Sony’s never have surfaced the raw even though the later ones support api 2.
I had a XZ before and it wouldn’t produce raw even with any 3rd party camera apps.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I’m not 100% sure , maybe 95% sure :p that it does. Not with it’s native camera app though. You have to use a 3rd party app which is ok.
The Sony’s never have surfaced the raw even though the later ones support api 2.
I had a XZ before and it wouldn’t produce raw even with any 3rd party camera apps.

From my testing with an app for the XZ1C, I don't recall that supporting Raw files either. I shared that here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=837318&p=6012918&viewfull=1#post6012918
I wouldn't be surprised if they continued not to do that...

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Currently have Xperia Z1C and upgraded to the XA2.

I was happy with the Z1C but the battery after 5 years was losing power dramatically, I was in the need for a new phone anyway.

Z1C came out in January 2014. Not possible to have had it for five years.

P.S. I loved that phone.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
What do people mean by "supporting RAW"? What does supporting mean in this sense?

Means, at least in regards to my question, being able to capture a photo (even if having to use a 3rd party camera app) as raw (a dng file). If you don’t know what raw is (and that’s ok) just google it. Lots and lots of information.
IMHO a camera that does not allow for raw capture, only the crappy processed jpgs, is useless. :)

phelme

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
IMHO a camera that does not allow for raw capture, only the crappy processed jpgs, is useless. :)

I don't think the Google Pixel's (and Pixel 2's) support RAW either and they produce great JPEGs.

the problem with Sony's IMX400 camera package in the XZ's and its lack of OIS means they have to raise the ISO up higher than other cameras (when everything else is equal) and have noiser images as a result. If you look at GSMArena's photo comparison tool, you can see that *when on a tripod* (which the cameras automatically sense) you can get excellent results out of the XZ2's sensor and the extra resolution of the larger sensor is apparent.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
The pixels support raw with a 3rd party camera app I’m 99% certain, though I don’t have one in front of me at the moment. As far as I know, Sony is the only “major” phone player that doesn’t surface raw even though it does surface most of the API 2 functions.
For me, without raw support, a camera is worthless. The difference between a post processed raw and a baked in jpg is astronomical.

hockey9592

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I believe these phones are set to release world wide tomorrow.

I live in the US and then would like to buy the XZ2 Compact version. Does anyone know where I should buy? I want to use it on the CDMA network of Verizon Wireless.

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

I live in the US and then would like to buy the XZ2 Compact version. Does anyone know where I should buy? I want to use it on the CDMA network of Verizon Wireless.

Possibly Best Buy, B&H Photo, Amazon.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

The preorders at Best Buy start today I believe with other retailers going on sale later. Best Buy if you want it as soon as possible, but Amazon will probably have lower prices if you can wait.

afcor

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Plus, of course, with Amazon you can collect gift certificates and reduce the price significantly. I've been using Bing Rewards and the Quick Thoughts app, and have saved up $110 of gift cards so far. Should be able to get another $30-40 by the time may rolls around!

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Pre ordered the XZ2 from Best buy today. Should have it next Friday. Was undecided between green and silver, but went with silver since it hides fingerprint better. Will be selling the Essential or Pixel 2 XL to make room, most likely Essential.

Would have gone for the compact if it had wireless charging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol