My Review of the XZ2 Compact

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Since it's pretty quiet here (understandably so considering Sony's presence in the US), I thought I'll share my review of the phone here. In particular the XZ2 Compact. No need to watch the video if you don't want to, i'll do a quick summary here. :)

Basically, this is the best compact phone you can get, if you're in the android camp. Which I'm going to assume you guys are since this is AndroidCentral. ;)

Anyway, this is the Compact series with the least amount of compromises so far. Compared to the regular XZ2, the front camera is the same too, same storage capacity, ram, processor, screen resolution at FHD+ (HDR support), same hybrid dual sim/microsd card slot. It's only missing the dynamic vibration system and wireless charging, both of which are not a big deal. In fact the XZ2 Compact is better in some other ways like the easier to reach fingerprint sensor, and better screen density.

So kudos to sony here.

I have no complaints about the hardware at all.

• The screen is LCD, but it's one of the best LCD panels i've seen with very nice colours and contrast.
  • The dual speakers sounds really good.
  • The performance from SD845 is top notch, battery life too.
  • The cameras all performs admirably with noticeable improvements over XZ1 Compact
  • The phone feels nice in hand with a nice heft to it.

Okay, but I do have to make this clear, the phone isn't the best at anything in particular. But it just does almost everything well, and almost nothing badly. Like the software experience is still better on Pixel 2 of course, but Sony's experience is really good too. Just as fast and smooth. I only took points off for a few removable bloatware, and the lack of unlimited google photos uploads. Having used a few of their devices over the past year, they are pretty okay with security patches too.

The cameras are not as good as the Pixel 2 too, but it's not as bad as it was before, and has its strengths too. The same can be said for pretty much about the various aspects of the phone.

Overall it's just a really well-rounded phone that does almost everything well. and all that in a smaller, and slightly cheaper package. My personal preference is towards phones with good software experience, good hardware, good one-handed ease of use, and good value. To me the XZ2 Compact hits the right spot for me.

My all time favourite is still the Pixel 2 because of the google photos upload, timely updates, and that insane camera. But the XZ2 compact comes second for me. It's also a great option for anyone who likes the pixel 2, but need expandable storage or dual SIM capabilities.

But too bad it probably won't sell well anyway. Smaller phones are sort of a niche market these days. :/

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah completely agree with your review, one thing I have observed with the XZ2 compact is it gets warm easily compared to others phones like Pixel 2 XL and few other flagships. Overall yeah it does everything well, not best at anything in particular but good at everything. Sony software is one of the best out there and I like their skin, launcher in general so much so I don't even use Nova on this. I had a hard time deciding between XZ2 and XZ2C, but since I already had other big phones kept the compact and overall love the phone. Has been my daily driver for the past couple of weeks and love it.

I'm excited for the XZ2 premium coming later in the summer.

cdubb1

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Just got mine. Love love love the size. They really nailed it with this phone/did everything right besides removing the jack. Really small (normal) size, DFFS, good software support, good battery life, super fast.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Yeah completely agree with your review, one thing I have observed with the XZ2 compact is it gets warm easily compared to others phones like Pixel 2 XL and few other flagships. Overall yeah it does everything well, not best at anything in particular but good at everything. Sony software is one of the best out there and I like their skin, launcher in general so much so I don't even use Nova on this. I had a hard time deciding between XZ2 and XZ2C, but since I already had other big phones kept the compact and overall love the phone. Has been my daily driver for the past couple of weeks and love it.

I'm excited for the XZ2 premium coming later in the summer.
Why have they reintroduced the giant bezels on their flagship of flagships? The Premium I mean. It boggles the mind some of the decisions Sony makes.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Why have they reintroduced the giant bezels on their flagship of flagships? The Premium I mean. It boggles the mind some of the decisions Sony makes.
I haven't taken a look at it, but is it bigger than what's on XZ2? The ones on XZ2 is not bad in my opinion.

Andrew_404

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Alex_Hong, nice review thank you. I'm currently a user of the Compact XZ1 and, I have the Compact X too. The XZ1 will be sold soon as I've just ordered the XZ2. Should be here my mid week.

Thanks again.

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Hmm hard to make out, hoping it's the same as XZ2 .. let's see

Kind of hard to imagine that they will increase the bezel from XZ2.

They did. hahaha. It's kinda insane. I think it's in order to keep using the 4K panel like the XZ Premium. It's a 16:9 screen for a new phone in 2018, which is kinda mind-boggling if you ask me. lol

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
They did. hahaha. It's kinda insane. I think it's in order to keep using the 4K panel like the XZ Premium. It's a 16:9 screen for a new phone in 2018, which is kinda mind-boggling if you ask me. lol

Are you sure they are? There's only a 5mm height difference between the XZ2 and Premium? The screen is .1 inch bigger which may determine the difference in height.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech