Previously you could very easy add an existing contact to a Group. Now on Android 8.0 there seems to not be any way to do that. I hope you do not have to delete and then recreate it to be able to add it to a Group. My phone is a Sony X Z 2 Compact.
    10-11-2018 08:59 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Are you talking about Google Contacts, or the contacts that you save directly to the Phone account?
    10-15-2018 10:35 PM
    Only the contacts on the phone, nothing else. Additionally I got some instructions from Sony Support tonight, and they worked on my wife's phone but not mine. Sony Support said I should get a new SIM card. Don't know how that would affect 8.0 software. My phone and my wife's got upgrade 52.0.A.3.27 this morning but that didn't solve my problem. Is it possible that I missed getting a previous upgrade and a later one was installed "over" that? So I could have missed a correcting upgrade?
    Otherwise how can I do this simple task, adding an existing contact to a group (Label)?
    10-19-2018 09:05 PM
    The phone will always update sequentially, so it won't skip an update. I'm afraid I won't be able to help much, since I don't have that phone and am only familiar with using the Google Contacts app.
    Yesterday 10:30 AM
    B. Daddy, thank you for getting back to me. After what I have told you, do you think I need a new SIM card? And since you said you only work with Google Contacts, is there someone else in Android Central that may be able to help me with my problem. Thanks again for your assistance.
    Yesterday 02:06 PM
    I'm not sure why Sony support suggested that. As far as I know, current phones don't save contacts to the SIM card any more. If you save a contact to the Phone account, they get saved to a database file in a protected system directory on Internal Storage (not the SIM). There might be an option to export contacts to or import them from a SIM card, but I don't think a phone actually uses the SIM card to access stored contacts in real time.

If you'd like, I could move this thread to the XZ2 Compact forum for more specific traffic. Someone who frequents that subforum might have a better answer for you.
    Yesterday 07:19 PM
    B. Diddy, thank you so much for your help. And yes I would appreciate you moving my thread to another forum. Can you please tell me the name of that Forum so I will know where to look.
    Yesterday 07:29 PM
    Ok, I moved it -- here's the link: https://forums.androidcentral.com/so...oid-8-0-a.html
    Today 12:33 AM