transfering movies and playing them on my phone,

sutt1576

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
hi guys

i am looking for some help please. i have the xperia z ultra and i am about to take a long distance flight,
i want to know can i download films from the net and transfer them to my phone so they can be played?

if this is possible can you tell me how to do it as everytime i have transferred something to my phone before i have never been able to find it after so never sure if it was going to the phone or not in the first place,

thank you for any help
sut.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You can purchase or rent movies on Google Play Movies, and temporarily download them to your phone so that you don't need a connection to watch them later. Keep in mind that most movies that people download from filesharing sites are pirated, which we do not condone nor discuss.

sutt1576

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
the films i have on my system are not pirated, i have old films stored on my harddrive that i want to be able to watch, the films are not on google play,

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, you had asked about downloading films from the net, rather than films you already owned on your own harddrive.

Probably the easiest way would be to transfer the video files to a microSD card. If you have a microSD card in your phone, unmount it (Settings>Storage), remove it, and insert it into your computer (using a fullsize SD adapter, very cheap to buy if you don't have one). Then use your computer's file manager to copy the files to the card--you can create a folder called "Videos" if there isn't one already. Then insert the microSD card back into your phone. I suggest installing MX Player, which is one of the best 3rd party video players out there.

sutt1576

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
sorry what i meant was downloading the files from my pc to the phone,
at the minute i dont have a micro sd card in the phone so will grab one, when i tranfer the file to the sd card will they need to be in a certain format or will mx player play most files.

1 thing i didnt understand was you said create a folder called "Videos" if there isn't one already. where? on the phone or the sd card itself.

on a side note just looking at google play movies, do you know how big the files size is for renting these movies as i only have 7 gig left on my phone and i have to download as i will not be able to stream them on the plane,

sorry if im being a bit stupid here,

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
MX Player can play a lot of different formats. But it's always safe to have the videos in MP4 format.

Create the folder "Videos" on the microSD card, just so you have one folder where you can place your videos and find them easily. Video players like MX Player don't care where you put the videos--they'll find them regardless of location.

Most movies will be around 1-2 GB, depending on resolution.