Is My Dream Crushed? [Using Xperia Z Without Network?]

Kris Garvey

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I had saved up to get myself the Sony Xperia Z after seeing the incredible and irresistible features it has. I finally was able to buy the purple version, which I was extremely overly excited for, because it was the most expensive thing I had actually purchased in one go. I had even sold several things I owned and was very sad to let go, just so I could afford the $600 price tag! Well, the seller was actually kind enough to inform me that I wouldn't be able to use the phone on the EDITED BY MODERATOR Verizon Network I am now soul-bound to for 2 years (before purchasing the phone, and without the EDITED BY MODERATOR at the Verizon store bothering to stop my raves on the Xperia to tell me it was not compatible!) I was refunded, but have since been wondering: Isn't it possible to just use the phone for some things like pre-loaded videos and music, and connecting to home wi-fi? There has to be some way to do this. I had a Samsung Proclaim I could still use quite a lot when I ran out of time on the card. PLEASE, somebody save my dreams for this phone, and tell me it is still usable for some things! I am more than willing to buy it for that reason, and wait until I am freed of Verizon's evil grasp so I can use the calling and texting services.
**Heartbroken** :'(

Last edited by a moderator:

srmojuze

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
You should be able to use it on just Wi-Fi.

Easiest is just get a Prepaid SIM that is compatible with it then use only Wi-Fi for data.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
You could actually use Google voice (it's a voip service), and make calls through your wifi. You can get your own number as well. There's also a couple of 3rd party messaging apps on the play store, that let you message from wifi. However, I don't know if Sony makes you use data for picture messaging though or not. It depends per oem.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Whoa... Very dramatic...

First, let's get some perspective. You didn't lose money. 2nd, if you traded it to get a phone, it wasn't something you'd die without. 3rd, there will always be something new to lust over.

Buy an s4 for $400 on Craigslist, spend $120 on your phone bill for 2 months, and use the other $80 to take a girl on a date and build an actual memory of something that will stay with you for more than 2 years. (the memory... You'll get bored with the girl almost as fast as the phone)

You'll still have a flagship phone on the best network and other first-world problems to complain about on the Internet, but you will have taken a giant step in building social skills.

Posted via Android Central App

Kris Garvey

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks jsharp70 for all the assumptions about me. I happen to be a girl, and even though I am not straight, I am highly unlikely to go out with anyone. I also happen to LOVE technology, and I have never been able to get anything quite as expensive or fancy before. I am sure you have wanted something one time or another, and if you were able to afford it, I am sure you wouldn't want to then turn around and get rid of it before you could even use or enjoy it. I am not interested in an S4 now, and if I did buy one on CL, it wouldn't be for $400! I can get a brand new one on eBay for that if I cared to. Plus, my Verizon bill (which I split 50/50 with someone else) is $80 per month, not $60. And I would not be paying a Verizon bill unless I could get a phone to use on it that I am happy with. Finally, if I did go on a date with someone, I am not the kind of person who "gets bored" with them. I would never get in a relationship with ANYONE who would make me bored that soon.
Thanks for your stunningly helpful tips.

Corvus9

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I too thought his comments condescending and wholly inappropriate, and considering our very small user base in these forums, one might think that people would be more considerate and courteous to their fellow members.

Sent from my C6603 using AC Forums mobile app

E90 Commie

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
You can use it without a network and even tether it too a VZW device in order to make VOIP calls through an existing Verizon data plan. If I would ever be forced to get service with VZW because of coverage - that is what I would do: i.e. getting a decent unlocked device and then a basic smartphone or even a MiFi and then make IP calls through Google Voice over the data connection.

By using this method, i.e. tether to your VZW device and using VOIP over Google Voice, you can have a fully functional Xperia Z and use it for everything including calls and texts. It would also be possible to browse the Internet on the go through the tethered connection besides using WiFi.

It is also a very nice device in other aspects, especially if you put the PAC ROM on it and begin to use the tablet mode. I am using my Z with phablet mode 320 DPI and tablet mode for all apps with 280 DPI and it is a pure joy to use.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney