Anyone have JB 4.2.2

Corvus9

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the UK and on the O2 (giffgaff) network and don't have the new update yet, does anyone else?
I contacted Sony to enquire as to when it will be available to me. I filled out their support form which asked for my full name, address, phone model, phone number and IMEI number and all I got back was the standard generic robotic reply of basically "you might get it sometime depending on what phone you have and where you live"
What the hell! Thanks Sony. Why ask me for all my details in their support form and then completely ignore all the information I gave them just to give me a robotic brush off.

Sent from my C6603 using AC Forums mobile app

Spencer1620

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I to am on Giff Gaff with an unbranded XZ with no update most of the planet have it. All branded XZ's in the UK have it also it's very poor service by Sony I flashed an O2 rom for mine but you shouldn't have to

Corvus9

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Surely I should just be able to get the update using the Sony PC companion software regardless of any branding on my phone? Surely this is one of the functions of the software. Sony should be pushing the updates out first irrespective of what network I'm on.
I'm not very tech savvy so I guess I just have to wait for Sony to get their act together.

E90 Commie

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend that you download the latest Sony 4.2.2 for the C6603 and flash it through FlashTool. I am talking about the FTF method. It works great and I would even say more reliably than over the Update Service (I have never used that btw, I either use FlashTool or TWRP custom recovery). I have been burned by old reports when people bricked Sony Ericsson devices when the SE-US failed on them.

Spencer1620

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Have to agree the Hong Kong or Spain unbranded work very well and it's quite easy to do look in Xda forums for a guide if your unsure

Posted via Android Central App

chrispphunt

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I've only had my z for a few days and I have it already.
I'm with o2 UK as well so that's a bit weird.
I just went into settings and checked for the latest software and it was waiting for me to do OTA.

Corvus9

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I suppose that's the downside of using Giffgaff then, very good value for money but no official phone updates?

Spencer1620

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It isn't Giff Gaff's fault Sony could release the update any time they please like they have in every other country but they aren't and they have no reasonable explanation. But it's not just Sony that do this my last phone was a Samsung Galaxy s2 and they did the same though not quite as bad as Sony.

LavallavaL

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
no official phone updates?

My Carrier is known to be un-friendly to updates. That said, the update from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2 enables an important security feature; the remote location "MyXperia" service, so this gave me munitions to fight for my update. When I saw the update was all over the place, I called my Carrier's customer service, asked when this service update was going to be rolled out. I then explained that this update could not be overlooked, for it enabled some important security update to my new phone. I told them it was unacceptable that most of the world was in the process of updating these handsets, and that they, the biggest player in my market, where not doing anything. The lady told me she couldn't really help me, but that tech support would most likely be of help with this issue. It seemed fair enough, so i waited.

Once they transfered me to Tech support. I asked "when", and the person told me she did not have any data on it, I told her politely to make her superior to listen to my conversation with her, and to not take any of what was to follow as a personal attack on her. I never got updates on my other phones, but that was all fine and dandy. But, It was unacceptable for this particular update to be overlooked, that I send them 1200$ a year, and that the minimum they could do is let me have my security update. I re-explained the update enabled some important security features I was expecting from the get-go, when I purchased this handset. I then said something along the lines of "I do not care for a minor service director who tries to keep DEV budgets next to nil and overlooks users security to get his numbers at the end of the year. It's not up to me to suffer from bad service and security risks, I pay through the nose for this service, and if he's incapable of meeting his goals otherwise, he should be fired for gross incompetence".

Lo and behold, it took about 7~10 days, and the update was made available. I don't know whether they reacted on my 1 call, reacted to a whole slew of calls, but it sure did not hurt, and I got to let off some steam.:cool:

Brendan Leahy

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Just for the record I have a 'Z' C6603 on a Virgin Mobile Contract in the UK so essentially EE/Orange/T-Mobile (Understand its sort of from T-Mobile as that is who Virgin have their Network Supply Contract with).

According to the Sony Forum this is classed as a Generic Software Phone and therefore technically Unbranded.

I have only had one update right at the beginning so nothing since Early May.

The Update process and Communication to said Users is utterly shambolic with all the Companies involved blaming each other.

I have also seen posts where people on the same network - 1 has got updates and other has not.

All very odd and Sony just constantly reply with - Its rolling out - they are already talking 4.3 and most have not even got 4.2.

Wish someone from Android Central would take this up with Sony Uk to see if a real answer can be forthcoming. HINT HINT

jovi2701

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys. I have an unlocked xperia z from Telstra (brand new) and I use a vaya SIM card. I am in Australia and have not received the update. Does anyone know anything to assist me.on when and why I am not getting the uupdate? Thanks

Corvus9

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been regularly checking PC companion and its not on there.
Surely Sony should put this update on PC companion before anywhere else, it's their specific software after all, I just don't understand why it's not on there.

jovi2701

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Same I have checked pc companion, mac bridge and on my phone and no updates come up. This is really annoying

Corvus9

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Finally got the 4.2.2 update today via PC companion and also got all the updated Walkman, Album and Movie app updates as well. All looking pretty sweet, I like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay